Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 65 of 137
26 February 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
By the way -- searching "film romanesc" in Youtube will yield loads of HD quality films in Romanian! Some even have subtitles...
1 person has voted this message useful

FDppkaul
Groupie
Norfolk Island
Joined 5035 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 66 of 137
27 February 2013 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Hey, guys! When are you going to study Thai? I'm considering joining the team, as i'm also interested in some languages that you are learning/willing to learn (more specifically: Japanese, Thai and Italian).

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 67 of 137
27 February 2013 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Personally, Italian has fallen off the map for now and has been replaced with Romanian. I
continue Japanese, but at a slower pace. Thai, for me, would only be much later in the
year, probably not before summer -- not sure what Sprachprofi's plans are for Thai
though...

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 68 of 137
27 February 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking about studying Thai in Mai or August for a 6 Week Challenge. I have
dropped Japanese for now and I'm revising Italian and Spanish as part of my study of
Portuguese. I'd prefer to continue this experiment of a TAC Tandem though.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 69 of 137
02 March 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
BIG NEWS

This morning I learned that I will be going to China on March 20th for a week to attend
a symposium on new media and their use in NGOs. I'm very excited about this last-minute
opportunity and I shall step up my Chinese studies accordingly.

Funny enough, yesterday I finished my Chinese book that I had been reading at snail's
pace for ages.

Book 1: "B.A.f.H. - Das Neueste vom Bastard Assistant" by Florian Schiel
Book 2: "Το ταξίδι στη χώρα που δε βλέπουν τα μάτια..." by Αντώνης Καλογήρου
Book 3: "Io Alessandro" by Steven Pressfield
Book 4: "L'Irak du silence" by Marie de Varney
Book 5: "Ramsès - le temple des millions d'années" by Christian Jacq
Book 6: "Oni ne pafas en Jamburg" by Mikaelo Bronŝtejn
Book 7: "搭车去柏林" by 刘畅

This interesting book - a gift from HTLAL member Budzul - is a non-fictional account of
a journey hitchhiking from Beijing to Berlin. The two Chinese men, both 30-something
years old, have decided that they are not ready to settle down with a stable job and a
mortgage after all, so they go on this 3-month journey that they call a rite of
passage. It is interesting to read about various countries and cultures from a Chinese
perspective. Their account of their time traveling through Central Asian countries was
very fascinating, but as a Berliner I was also interested in learning what they thought
of my city, once they finally got there. In the end, it's a bit sad because the writer
is not ready to stop traveling after Berlin, and he now finds it even more impossible
to be happy with an office job. His only ray of light is a new plan to hitchhike from
Alaska to Argentina the following year. In an addendum we learn that the book has
become so popular that he may just have a chance of realizing a childhood dream and
producing a movie.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 02 March 2013 at 1:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 70 of 137
03 March 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING THE TRIP!!!! They couldn't have picked a better person!

--------------

Romanian: As I've been trying to do self-talk and write in Lang-8 lately, it's become
evident that if you're just going to follow a course like Assimil, a lot of the
concepts are not going to be clear and will be hard to process unless you've had to use
the words and the grammar. And I don't mean some rehashing like the so-called active
wave, but intended communication that matters to you.

German: I'm trying a mock C1 exam from the Goethe Institute. We'll see how that goes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 71 of 137
06 March 2013 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Update on Romanian -- 6 weeks and some into Assimil Roumain, I'm at lesson 92 (which is
more or less 90% of the passive wave!), but I'm trailing a bit behind in the active wave,
at lesson 35.

I've been doing quite a bit more self-talk lately, although it obviously tends to revolve
around the same topics because my vocabulary is limited, but I use the online dictionary
and it helps put things down into place. I've also written 5 Lang-8 posts.

As for the German C1 mock exam, 3 of the 4 sections are done, but the last one is an 80-
minute written part which I won't be able to do before Thursday at the earliest. My
tandem partner will be my trusted corrector.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 72 of 137
06 March 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Romanian: As I've been trying to do self-talk and write in Lang-8 lately, it's become evident that if you're just going to follow a course like Assimil, a lot of the concepts are not going to be clear and will be hard to process unless you've had to use the words and the grammar. And I don't mean some rehashing like the so-called active wave, but intended communication that matters to you.

Yeah, I agree. As the active wave has gone on, I've been getting more frustrated by it. What I think is much more helpful to me than the active wave itself is simply looking back over an old lesson, writing down whichever things seem most useful to me in a notebook, and then making my own sentences with them and trying to use them in conversations.

Edited by tastyonions on 06 March 2013 at 1:20pm

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version