Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
137 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 17 18 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 89 of 137
29 April 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
I signed up for the 6 Week Challenge with Indonesian.
There's an Indonesian speaking competition in Berlin in June and I'm tempted to give it a
try - even though I spent less than 10 hours on Indonesian so far. I wonder how good of a
speech I could give if I put a lot into Indonesian during this challenge. Not aiming to
win - just for fun.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 90 of 137
29 April 2013 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I signed up for the 6 Week Challenge with Indonesian.
There's an Indonesian speaking competition in Berlin in June and I'm tempted to give it a try - even though I spent less than 10 hours on Indonesian so far. I wonder how good of a speech I could give if I put a lot into Indonesian during this challenge. Not aiming to win - just for fun.

What a nice objective! Go for it!

Unfortunately, partner, I won't be doing the challenge as I have been having almost no time for study for a few weeks now. Still, I try to do a bit of German and Romanian (Assimil active wave lesson 75) daily, however little.

***Awesome German App Alert!!!!*** Geo.de has a new iPad app (app is free, comes with a free magazine, but new magazines are 5 or 6 dollars) -- the app is beautiful, well-built, and several articles are recorded and can be listened to as you read the text. There are also some videos.

Edited by Arekkusu on 29 April 2013 at 9:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 91 of 137
30 April 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Romanian Podcast

I would like to recommend this Romanian podcast Sceptici în România. You can listen online, or through iTunes.

To slow down audio on iOS, use Tempo.

Edited by Arekkusu on 30 April 2013 at 2:45pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 92 of 137
12 May 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
My Indonesian studies have been coming along reasonably well - 12 hours since
May 1st, which translates to exactly 1 hour a day, though the actual distribution was
different. I wish I could have done more though, because I will probably not have much
time to study in Hungary, and anyway I need all the time I can get in order to prepare
for this competition.

As an exercise, I wrote a first text in Indonesian on lang-8:
http://is.gd/yxtjOi

Due to the need to write my thesis, I've actually spent 19 hours on French this
month already, mostly writing, but also listening (to the director's commentary) and
watching a movie (the one I'm writing about).

Also, I finished another Spanish book, by necessity:

Book 15: La oralidad fingida: descripción y traducción

This is a collection of essays which my professor recommended to me as relevant to my
thesis. Good thing I had brushed up on Spanish... Sometimes I wonder if a student of
French Studies in the US would also be assigned reading material in Spanish without a
question whether he speaks the language. Then again, I can cite any Romance or Germanic
language without translation, so it works both ways.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 12 May 2013 at 6:28pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 93 of 137
15 May 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
My turn to update:

Still slowly working on Romanian, listening to podcasts (Sceptici în România), reading some websites (such as go4it.ro), a trilingual version of L'étranger (Strainul / der Fremde), etc.

Had a one-hour German conversation with my Tandem partner over the weekend, am reading various books and magazines (Hohe Luft, Geo, etc.)

Trying to find some time to continue working on writing a book on pronunciation...

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 94 of 137
15 May 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Today I had my first conversation in Indonesian! More than 60 minutes via Skype with an
Indonesian teacher, who was very good about speaking Indonesian as much as possible.

At the beginning I had trouble understanding spoken Indonesian because my brain was
still used to processing written Indonesian, but by the end I was able to easily follow
when he talked about his family and his work. I also spoke a lot myself: about my
family, language-learning, restaurants in Berlin, immigrating to Germany, traveling and
other topics. I was quite amazed at the kind of things I was already able to express,
both in terms of vocabulary (I crammed about 500 words so far, plus whatever I may have
picked up on the side) and in terms of structures, talking about the past, the future
and using various types of sub-clauses.

I also realized again the value of being able to come up with alternative ways of
phrasing things. For example, my teacher wanted to know if I knew the difference
between "kami" and "kita" (exclusive and inclusive 'we'). My first thought was to say
"kita includes you", but I didn't know the word "include" and settled for "kita is kami
and you".

I'm presently on lesson 7 of Colloquial Indonesian.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 May 2013 at 4:41pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 95 of 137
22 May 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I just came back from the Polyglot Conference in Budapest. It was an amazing experience,
not just because I got to meet so many of the people whose posts I read, but also because
I practised nearly all my languages (Swahili being the only exception). I have decided to
organize a polyglot gathering myself, next year in Berlin.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 96 of 137
22 May 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
I'm still bummed out I had to skip the conference, I had to work. Turns out I actually
didn't have to after all, which annoyed me to no end (the only consolation being I
could spend time with my girlfriend). I hope you have had a great time in Budapest! I
would have loved to meet some of the big names in polyglottery, especially Iversen,
Benny Lewis, Richard, Luca, Alex Rawlings, Susanna...

And if you are going to organise a gathering in Berlin next year, will it have a
"polyglot" or an "Esperanto" focus? By that time I hope to have a normal full-time job
and no side-stuff, so if it's on a weekend I will be able to fly (or take the train) to
Berlin and finally get to one of those conferences!

Also, are there any big Esperanto events coming up? I think it would be cool to involve
myself in the Esperanto community at some point but I don't know when the next one is.
With New Year's maybe?

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version