Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 49 of 137
14 February 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Romanian update (copied from the Assimil group thread):

I'm at lessons 75 passive / 24 active.

During lesson 23, I made 23 mistakes. First, I thought that was a lot -- even though I know some are due to the fact that various translations are possible --, but then I realized that I actually got 133 words right out of 156, which is over 85%! So I'm ok.

I've also been reading Micul Print (Le petit prince), which I'm rather enjoying to be honest. It's not too complicated. I made a Romanian-French side-by-side version.

Ironically, I used an English version of the book last night to interpret into Japanese with my tutor and in places, I think she found the English version harder than I, the Romanian version! To be fair, there were really weird sentences in there, including things I'd never heard before, such as "Now I stared at this sudden apparition with my eyes fairly starting out of my head in astonishment." If I've seen this before, I can't remember...

Now, I wish I could find a Romanian tutor to work on this book with me; they could correct my pronunciation and then ask questions about the text... I think this would really help activate a lot of what I've come across in Assimil. In particular, there are so many direct and indirect pronouns (or forms thereof)...!

I also found this great recording of Micul print, except that I can't find the version that matches the text being read! There is a link under the video, but it's not longer active. If you should happen to have it...

German: I am still reading Illuminati.

Edited by Arekkusu on 14 February 2013 at 10:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 50 of 137
14 February 2013 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
To be fair, there were really weird sentences in there, including things I'd never heard before, such as "Now I stared at this sudden apparition with my eyes fairly starting out of my head in astonishment." If I've seen this before, I can't remember...

That is kind of a rare one, yes. I've definitely run into it, but I can't say I remember how long it's been since I last encountered it. I don't think I've ever seen it outside of literary works, much less heard someone use it in a conversation.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 51 of 137
15 February 2013 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Lessons 78 / 26.

I'm still a bit ambivalent about Assimil -- I dislike that it's exposing me to a lot of things I will never need rather than allow me to concentrate on the things I want to say, but I also recognize it's not such a bad thing.

I mentioned the recording of the Little Prince in my previous post and out of curiosity, I checked the Wikipedia page for the voice actor, Florian Pittiș. [Kind of reminds me of Gerry Boulet, but that's another issue...] Surprizingly, I actually understand the vast majority of it, and sometimes all of it. In that respect, I'm forced to admit that Assimil has been exposing me to all the right things (although I still maintain it's done very little for my production thus far...).

Here is also his version of Mr. Tambourine Man in Romanian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 52 of 137
17 February 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Had two meetings with my new online Romanian tutor. He first corrected on of my texts,
then I went on to read Micul print, and he asked me questions about the text. Lots of
work ahead until fluency, that's for sure, but to be able to understand questions and
provide answers is still gratifying. It's a type of exercise I would certainly recommend.

I also found Learn Romanian Magazine and read a page out of it. Only did one Assimil
lesson.

Still reading Illuminati in German.

Went out with some Japanese friends yesterday; good practice.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 53 of 137
17 February 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Where did you find your tutor, Arekkusu? As you might (not) know, I am studying Romanian
as well and might want to use this service in the future.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 54 of 137
17 February 2013 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Where did you find your tutor, Arekkusu? As you might (not) know, I am studying Romanian
as well and might want to use this service in the future.

I used italki.com.

Since you're here, so to speak, what are you using as a bilingual dictionary?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 55 of 137
17 February 2013 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Oh, italki, in that case, I know where to look.

I have not bought one yet, it's on my to-do list, but I do know a bookshop in the Hague
that sells a Romanian-Dutch one and vice versa. But it's 100 euros or so in total, so
I'm not going to spend all my money at once. For the moment I just use the internets as
a dictionary, and I'm using Assimil (which I like by the way, only it's not much in the
way of a dictionary). I'm also relying on any memories I can scrap together from when I
used to hear Romanian on a semi-regular basis.

Edited by tarvos on 17 February 2013 at 10:47pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 56 of 137
19 February 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I visited Britain from Thursday to Monday and I barely did any language study while there
- only 15 minutes of French reading and 20 minutes of Duolingo (Portuguese). I did read
100+ pages of my French book on Monday while traveling home and then some more pages
today, and I've also started on Duolingo again, so I'm not afraid that the hiatus will
become permanent. In my spreadsheet, I'm still 10 hours ahead of where I have to be in
order to reach this year's total hour goal.

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version