Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 17 of 137
24 January 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
So, Sprachprofi, how's Yvon Deschamps coming along? :)

I decided -- following Sprachprofi's recommendation -- to give Assimil Roumain a try. I have nothing negative to say so far -- it gives a lot more details than Pimsleur could allow you to figure out and the pace is fine. I'm at lesson 9.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 18 of 137
24 January 2013 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I find the challenge cumbersome and sometimes stressful as I get a
feeling of obligation from it that gets annoying.

That's precisely why I like doing it. I like feeling obliged to learn languages, and my
life is not generally too stressful for daily language study, except when I have
guests. I know your life is very different.

Quote:
So, Sprachprofi, how's Yvon Deschamps coming along? :)

Thanks for the gentle reminder ;-) I might make it a goal to listen to one piece of
his every day. Today I listened to "Politiquement on est donc mélangés". I listened to
it twice and I understood almost every word in most of the routine, except for one
section where I didn't get even the gist. If you can get your hands on this, can you
let me know what he says there? I understood the part about the parties. Then, I don't
understand anything for a short bit around where he talks about drinking (?) up to the
mention of St Jean Baptiste. Then, I understand everything about them wanting Québec to
be French, and also about Anglos copying stuff, up to the end.

Quote:
I decided -- following Sprachprofi's recommendation -- to give Assimil Roumain a
try. I have nothing negative to say so far -- it gives a lot more details than Pimsleur
could allow you to figure out and the pace is fine. I'm at lesson 9.

Yay! Assimil does sometimes introduce something new without explaining it, or without
explaining it sufficiently. Then you should look for the next summary lesson (every 7th
lesson), which should explain it in detail.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 137
25 January 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Oh now you make me wanna try Assimil Romanian!
Yay about learning it :)

Sprachprofi, go for Portuguese :PPP

Edited by Serpent on 25 January 2013 at 1:33am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 20 of 137
25 January 2013 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Oh now you make me wanna try Assimil Romanian!
Yay about learning it :)

Sprachprofi, go for Portuguese :PPP

Yup, now onto lesson 17!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 21 of 137
27 January 2013 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
I am now on lesson 26 of Assimil Romanian, but I spent a fair amount of time today going back and listening to
every recording from the beginning up to lesson 25 -- I have some hearing issues and wanted to wait until I was
in
an optimal environment to do so. All in all, I did ok, although I forgot vocab and a few things that have only
been quickly explained in passing at this point. Who cares if I don't remember "matches" anyway?

I read a bit of that other Assimil experiment thread on HTLAL. It's interesting to see people's comments and,
often, frustrations. I'm not doing the one lesson a day, though -- I don't have the patience -- so my experience
may vary. However, I had done some Pimsleur earlier on. I've averaged 8-9 lessons a day. Obviously, after
lesson 20 or so, it starts to get more dense, so I'm sure I'll be slowing down, and the time I have daily can
greatly vary.

I found a Romanian deck and added it to Anki, along with the Esperanto and German decks I try to do daily. It's
not my favourite activity, but I get exposed to new words.

I also spent some time writing Esperanto correspondence.

Edited by Arekkusu on 27 January 2013 at 6:30am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 22 of 137
27 January 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu helped me understand that one piece by Yvon Deschamps and I have since
listened to two more. I remember being in Montréal on my first trip outside of Europe
and it was the time of the Just for Laughs festival. Unfortunately I could only attend
English-language shows at the time. If I get the chance again, I definitely want to be
able to see French-language comedians. Yvon Deschamps speaks Québécois, not the
clinical international French I hear from Radio Canada anchors, and I enjoy the accent.

My boyfriend, who speaks 6 languages without showing any particular passion for
language-learning, is planning a trip to Geneva and has been studying French for at
least an hour a day lately, sometimes staying up late for that. He's using Duolingo and
is enjoying it a lot. For this reason, I decided to give Duolingo a fair try, more than
the cursory look I had previously. So for the 6 Week Challenge, I shall attempt to
learn basic Portuguese from Duolingo. At the same time I'm hoping to improve and
disambiguate my Italian and Spanish by reviewing the equivalent Duolingo for Italian
and Spanish. If I get fed up with that, there's Eurocom as an alternative.

My biggest goal for Portuguese is to be able to read it for pleasure - right now I can
make sense of it when I look at the words hard enough, but it's not fun to read a book
that way. I have a beautiful anniversary edition of "O Alquimista" that I'd like to
read, and also two other Portuguese books that look interesting that I couldn't resist
buying.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 23 of 137
29 January 2013 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Sunday

Anki: Romanian, German, Esperanto
Romanian: Assimil, lesson 31.
Esperanto: Correspondence
German: read a very interesting graphic novel, "Aufzeichnungen aus Jerusalem". 73 pages.

Monday

Anki: Esperanto, German, Romanian
Assimil Roumain: lesson 36
German: Aufzeichnungen..., read 27 pages.

Sprachprofi, how is Duolingo going?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 24 of 137
29 January 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Duolingo can be surprisingly addictive. The 6WC hasn't started yet, so I've just been
brushing up my Italian and my logs show that I inadvertently spent 3.5 hours just on
Duolingo in the last two days. Granted most of the Italian was a review for me, so I
just tested out of a bunch of levels (now on level 8, having supposedly learned 462
words), but I did find it a satisfying way to re-activate my knowledge and to review my
verb conjugations and vocabulary fields like clothing, professions, furniture, animals.
I don't like that they teach a whole bunch of animal words right at the beginning
(complained about it at
http://www.reddit.com/r/duolingo/comments/17d6qt/why_animals _so_early/) but
supposedly their course creators didn't see another way to generate a lot of possible
sentences with limited vocabulary.

I'm not sure how addictive or educational Duolingo is when starting a language from
scratch and progress is slower; I shall see that with Portuguese. Also, I only just
embarked on Spanish. The structure of the Italian and Spanish courses already seem very
similar so far, so I believe that Duolingo will be suitable for comparative study.

Apart from Duolingo, I have studied Chinese ways of expression by comparing two
translations of Arekkusu's article on self-talk: one that I wrote and one that I got
from a native speaker. I also got a fast Chinese audio version of the article, which I
shall use to investigate word slurring and sentence-level intonation.

I have also continued to read my chosen Greek book, usually in bursts of 10-16 pages /
20-40 minutes. On page 185 now.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version