Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 1 of 60
21 January 2013 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Hi! My name is Emily, and this year i'm going to be working on my Italian. I decided impulsively one day (isn't that
how it always begins?) that i should learn Italian, because it would be easy with my background in Spanish and
french. I messed around a bit with some informal online lessons, quizzes, crossword puzzles, and word searches. I
tried the FSI fast course but thought it was incredibly boring and i didnt seem to be learning much for the amount of
time that i put into it, so i gave up after a few lessons. Then for Christmas i got a book called "Painless Italian" by
Marcel Danesi. I've been doing a section from it almost every day since then, and its so easy, i love it! I look forward
to learning Italian all day and use it to reward myself after doing actual homework from school =P The only problem
of course is that the book didn't come with any CDs, so i have to check my pronunciation fairly often. So far youtube
has been helpful with that.

I also am learning french and Spanish at school, although i won't be focusing much on those at home, besides some
movies and books.

My plans for this year are to master Italian. I think that is totally feasible. I'm ready to work hard! On this log, i'll post
updates of my lessons, movies or books i've been reading, and challenges that i've done for my team. I also plan to
do some language placement tests throughout the year to track my progress.

(I may possibly get distracted with trying to learn finnish... My grandma's a Finn, and i would love to be able to talk
to her. But first i'd like to have a good base in Italian. However, i did already spend a few minutes on youtube
learning to say Hyvaa Paivaa! Minun nimeni on Emily. Hauska tutustua!)

TAC 2014 LOG STARTS ON P.6, POST 45

Edited by Emily96 on 18 January 2014 at 10:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 60
21 January 2013 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Good luck, teammate! I'm also learning Italian. I hope we both reach our goals this year! (:

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 3 of 60
22 January 2013 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Thanks FireViN, i hope we do too!

Today i finished the 3rd chapter (of 10) in my Painless Italian book. I've decided it's time to try the first challenge in
my team's list... Here goes nothing!

#1. Write 5 sentences introducing yourself.

Mi chiamo Emily e ho sedici anni. Sono di Canada. Sono una ragazza alta. Ho i capelli lunghi e biondi e gli occhi
castani. Mi piace suonare la mia chitarra, cucinare, leggere, e apprendere l'italiano.

I also made a lang-8 account today (username: Emily96). I haven't written anything yet to be corrected, but i am
sure it will be useful some day!

Right now i am looking for a suitable placement test to take. According to the descriptions i found on wikipedia, i'm
an A1 in Italian, a B1 in Spanish, and a C1 in french! So, by the end of this year i'm going to ambitiously aim for a B2
in both Spanish and Italian.

Edited by Emily96 on 22 January 2013 at 4:57am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 4 of 60
24 January 2013 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
Challenge #2. Write three sentences about whom you have in your family.

Nella mia famiglia ci sono molte persone. I miei genitori si chiamano Jane e Wade. Ho due sorelle, Christine e
Michelle. E i miei fratelli si chiamano Bryan e Matthew. Inoltre, abbiamo anche una gatta che si chiama Kitty.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 5 of 60
31 January 2013 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
It's been a while since i last worked on Italian because of all my exams. But now i have the week off for semester
break so i'm hoping to make up for lost time. I decided to take on another one of the challenges from my team's list:

Challenge #13. Write out your shopping list in your target language and use it to go shopping. Only refer to your
native or preferred language if absolutely necessary.

(I'm not actually taking this list shopping, i just wrote it to practice all the new food vocab i had learned and using
things like delle/dei/degli)

- una pagnotta di pane
- un po' di formaggio
- quattro mele
- tre arance
- sei banane
- degli spaghetti
- dei piselli
- dei fagioli
- delle patate
- una brocca di latte
- una libra di burro
- molta cioccolata!

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 6 of 60
02 February 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
February 1st - the beginning of the 6WC and chapter 5 in my book! Almost half way there.

I spent almost three hours today working on Italian. I learned a bunch of vocabulary (la mia camicia è rosa),
practiced five new verbs, translated the song l'italiano by toto cotugno into English, and talked to myself about il
formaggio nei miei spaghetti that i ate for lunch. All in all, a good day, and i felt pretty productive. But i've noticed
how quickly the leader board for the 6WC changes and so i'm extra motivated to keep working hard!

I'm also looking for some Italian movies to watch. I found La tigre e la neve on netflix, and i think there might be a
few more. Hopefully i'll find time to watch one this weekend.

Edited by Emily96 on 04 February 2013 at 2:16am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 7 of 60
04 February 2013 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
The six week challenge is intense! I'm finding it hard to think of things to do to practice Italian. Today i finished
chapter 5 (usually finishing a chapter would take me a week) with learning a past tense and how to tell time. (Oggi
ho imparato a dire l'ora
). Then i did two challenges from the list. Here they are:

Challenge #3. Describe a friend in six sentences. What does s/he look like? What is s/he like as a person?

La mia amica si chiama Emmy. È alta e bella. Ha gli occhi castani e i capelli neri, ma se li tinge di rosso al momento.
Emmy è divertente e simpatica. È intelligente, ma non le piace la scuola, eccetto parlare con gli amici. Inoltre le piace
ascoltare la musica e cucinare.

Challenge #6. Try to find 15 cognates between your target language and your native language.

il riso - rice
la frutta - fruit
la carota - carrot
la patata - potato
la cioccolata - chocolate
la rosa - rose
ricco - rich
spazioso - spacious
moderno - modern
naturale - natural
intelligente - intelligent
la persona - person
la famiglia - family
blu - blue (dark blue)
marzo, aprile, agosto, settembre, ottobre, novembre, dicembre - march, april, august, september, october,
november, december. The other months are quite similar too.

Back to school tomorrow. I hope i'll still have time for my Italian.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 8 of 60
06 February 2013 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
I've started mixing up my languages already! In Spanish class we were supposed to talk with a partner for a few
minutes and the conversation went something like this:

Partner: Cuando es tu cumpleaños?
Me: il mio cumpleaños... i mean, mi cumpleaños, es il venti... vente? veintinueve! di.. da.. i mean de (with a french
accent)! no wait. de! dicembre. no. diciembre. dios mio.

Yeah. Not good. But my writing is (thankfully) still coming out of the pencil in the right language, and i know it's just
a matter of re-familiarizing myself with the Spanish vocabulary so that my brain supplies the right word
automatically.

At least my Italian is coming along nicely. I had predicted that i would finish the work book in april or may, but
thanks to the competition of the six week challenge, i'm already working on the sixth chapter, and flying through it
twice as fast as i was before. Last night i put an entry on lang-8 and it came back with minimal corrections! Here it
is, challenge #41 from my team's beginner list:

Ho un animale domestico. È una gatta che si chiama Kitty. Kitty è una piccola gatta di dodici anni. La sua pelliccia è a
strisce marroni e nere. I suoi occhi sono verde. Le piace giocare con le palline piccole e con i sacchetti di carta. Le
piace anche dormire sul mio grembo. Kitty è una gatta molto carina!

Ok, so i had to use word reference every ten seconds. But that's a dozen new words that i can now work into
conversations, so i guess it's a good thing.

I'll probably do another challenge tonight and post it if i can get it corrected in time.

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version