Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 105 of 384
02 November 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I tried to read Harry Potter about six weeks ago, and found it very difficult. I needed to tandem read the novel in
both Spanish and English. I prefer to read extensively, so after a chapter I ended up setting it aside and reading
easier novels by Roald Dahl instead: The Witches (which I enjoyed) and The BFG (which I didn't - in fact, I didn't
finish that one).

Today I started reading Harry Potter again, for a multilingual read along.

Feel free to join in if you like:

HP readalong

Anyway, I was really pleased to see how much my reading skills have improved over the past month and a half! I
was able to read ten pages in 30 minutes, with good comprehension. I only had to look up one word - lechuza,
or owl - while reading because it led to a breakdown in comprehension. The rest of the unknown words I was
able to guess (more or less) from context.

I plan on reading the whole book extensively for 30 minutes per day, using this approach:

- read for 30 minutes (with a timer). I don't stop to look up a word unless it affects my comprehension.
Whenever possible, I rely on context to guess the meaning of unknown words.

- as I read, I jot down a few words on a sticky note that I leave on the page in the book – just a few, no more than
5 or 6 per page. I only write down words that I'm interested in confirming, or else completely unknown word that
didn't affect my overall comprehension but that I'm curious about.

- after 30 minutes, I stop reading and hop on Spanishdict.com to look up all of the words that I wrote down on
the sticky notes. I add a word to anki only if I think that it'll be useful in the immediate future. If I don't think I'll
want to use it anytime soon, I just move on, trusting that it will come up again in books and articles and
eventually make its way to my active vocabulary.

I'm excited to read Harry Potter now that I can actually understand it!
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 106 of 384
17 November 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Well, it snowed this week, which means that I've turned the treadmill on for the first time in months. I don't know
what it is about winter, but I always get an urge to take up running when the days get short and cold. Sadly, the
urge generally goes away after a few weeks.

I was digging through my DVDs trying to figure out what to watch, and grumbling about the fact that our XBox
Live subscription ran out and I can't watch Netflix. That's when I realized - Buffy seasons 2 through 7 AND Angel
seasons 1 through 5 all include Spanish audio! That's hundreds and hundreds of hours of Spanish!

I've always had a bad attitude towards dubbing, but I thought I'd give it a try. And it was pretty good! I know
Buffy well. I think I've watched the entire series three or four times on DVD, plus the first time 'round on TV. So I
had absolutely no problem following the story and understanding the dialogue. I like the voice actors.

This is awesome. Now I can geek out with Buffy again. Except that I'm not geeking out. I'm studying. Life is
good.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4451 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Czech

Message 107 of 384
20 November 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Hi Stelle,
The Buffy reference has pushed me to stop lurking and tell you that I really appreciate this log. It continues to
inspire me with my own language learning. I love Buffy, as well, and look forward to the day when my Czech is good
enough to watch it with Czech dubbing. :-)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 108 of 384
20 November 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
tajosto wrote:
Hi Stelle,
The Buffy reference has pushed me to stop lurking and tell you that I really appreciate this log. It continues to
inspire me with my own language learning. I love Buffy, as well, and look forward to the day when my Czech is good
enough to watch it with Czech dubbing. :-)

Thanks for the kind words tajosto. I'm glad you're enjoying the log - even though I don't update it nearly often
enough!

Has Buffy been dubbed into Czech? That's awesome! Hmmm…now I'm thinking I could learn any number of
languages, using Buffy as a base. Ha!

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4483 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 109 of 384
20 November 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I have watched the entire series of Buffy in German and am just starting to watch it in Spanish. Sounds like we've found a great language learning tool right under our noses!

Keep it up. I enjoy your log very much!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 110 of 384
20 November 2013 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
I have watched the entire series of Buffy in German and am just starting to watch it in
Spanish.
Sounds like we've found a great language learning tool right under our noses!

Keep it up. I enjoy your log very much!

Thank you! I love the thought of rewatching the same show in multiple languages. Very neat idea. I doubt that
there's a version of Buffy dubbed into Tagalog, though...

I'm still getting used to the dubbing - I have a bad habit of listening to the Spanish and trying to lipread
the English. Ha! But I'm working on breaking myself of that. I really love the voice actress who plays Willow in the
Spanish version. I think that she's perfect.

Edited because typos.
Use of "because" as preposition because
this post

Edited by Stelle on 20 November 2013 at 11:38pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 111 of 384
23 November 2013 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
I've been really unsatisfied with my reading habits lately. I'm reading Harry Potter in Spanish, which is great fun,
but I feel like I need some more mental stimulation - with ideas, rather than just language.

Here's my problem:

reading in English : the rest of the world disappears, and a good novel might supplant any and all language
learning (and housecleaning, and laundry, and social interaction, and exercise, and…). So lately I've been
avoiding reading in English. Not a good long-term plan.

reading in Spanish : absolutely love it, fun, understand it - but not yet ready for meaty adult books. After
several months of Roald Dahl and JK Rowling, I'm really starting to miss adult fiction.

reading in French : errrr… Yeah, never do it. Never have. I think that I've only read one French book for
pleasure in my adult life. Seeing as how I grew up speaking French and I've been a French teacher for the past 15
years, that's absolutely shameful. I feel my language actually deteriorating. 15 years of teaching beginners in a
monolingual English region really does a number on your vocabulary. While fluency in one's native tongue is
never going to be an issue, higher-level vocabulary can and does erode. I'm very ashamed to admit it, but at this
point I'm afraid that I'd panic at first if thrown into a university-level discussion in French.

I've discovered a love for a timer while reading in Spanish. When I first started reading in Spanish, I couldn't get
"lost" in a book. It was just too much work. So I set a timer for 10 minutes, and just pushed my way through. As
it got easier, I increased the time. Now, I find that 30 minutes is exactly the right amount of focused reading
time: long enough to get immersed in the story, short enough that I'm surprised when it's over.

I'm thinking that - just as it helped me increase my reading time in Spanish - a timer might help me control my
reading time in English. And obviously I'm perfectly capable of getting lost in a French book for 30 minutes at a
time. I just have to bother actually picking up a French book in the first place.

So I'm making myself a reading schedule. I'll aim for at least 60 minutes on weekdays and 90 minutes on
weekends, in 30 minute blocks. This will give me at least 3 hours of reading in Spanish every week, and 2.5
hours of reading in both English and in French.

Monday: Spanish, English
Tuesday: French, Spanish
Wednesday: English, French
Thursday: Spanish, English
Friday: French, Spanish
Saturday: English, French, Spanish
Sunday: English, French, Spanish

My current reading selections are:

English: The Orenda (Joseph Boyden)
Spanish: Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal (JK Rowling)
French: La Route de Parramalta (Louise Simard)

I'm not sure how this is going to work. I tend to be a bit of a maladaptive reader in English, reading for hours and
hours at a time. But I want to break out of my feast or famine approach to reading (especially since I've been in
famine mode ever since starting Spanish last May), while improving all three of my languages (particularly French,
which really needs some TLC right now).

So extensive reading of three books at a time. Starting today. I hope this experiment works out!

Edited to add: after 30 minutes with La Route de Parramalta, I have to set it aside. I just don't like it. I
wouldn't like it any more if it were in any other language. And therein lies my problem: it's really hard to find a
French novel that holds my interest. If I had more access to French books, I'm sure that I'd be able to find novels
that I enjoy, but here, I seem to be limited to mediocre historical fiction (which already isn't my favourite genre)
and translated English books (which seem kind of non-sensical when I can read them in the original language).
I'll go to the base library on Monday after work to see if they have a better selection than the public library.

Edited by Stelle on 24 November 2013 at 1:02am

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 112 of 384
27 November 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
OK, so my "3 books at once" plan did NOT work. It feels chaotic to juggle so many
stories at once. I'm back to reading two books at once, one of which is in Spanish. I
think I'm going to alternate between French and English for my second book. I fully
expect to read more books in English than in French in the coming year - so maybe 2
English books followed by one French.

I just posted my 2014 language goals in
this thread, so I figured
I may as well post them here as well!

I'd like to work on...

Spanish: I'm at a solid intermediate stage now. I'd like to bring my skills up
to an upper intermediate/advanced level. I plan on finishing FSI Basic during the first
quarter of 2014. I want to read the whole Harry Potter series in 2014, as well as The
Hunger Games trilogy. I'd also like to listen to Spanish talk radio and watch Spanish
movies without subtitles. I want to keep up my conversational Spanish through Skype
exchanges at least four times a week before my trip to Spain (at least twice a week
after coming home). And after spending six weeks in Spain in March/April, I definitely
want to add Spanish to the languages that I speak.

Tagalog: When I get back from Spain in early May, I plan on jumping right into
Tagalog with the six-week challenge! I already have one husband-approved learning
resource - Tara, maga-tagalog tayo (my Tagalog-speaking husband is very critical of
resources like Pimsleur, which he feels teach a very stilted and unnatural Tagalog).
I'm also thinking about picking up a second resource, either Teach Yourself or a
subscription to filipinopod101. With those resources, tutors on italki, and
conversation practice with my husband and his family, I'm hoping to be able to add
Tagalog to the languages that I speak by the end of 2014. I'm not interested in reading
or writing in Tagalog - my goal is purely conversational

read more in general: at least 15 English novels and 5 French novels, as well as
some non-fiction books and magazines.

Question: when people start learning a new language, do they start a new log? Or will I
just tack Tagalog onto this one come May?

Edited multiple times because adding links is a real pain in the butt on this forum.

Edited by Stelle on 27 November 2013 at 1:28am

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version