tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 137 of 384
25 December 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Lesson 30 was a review. They do it again in lesson 55 (and maybe in 45). It is kind of silly in
my opinion because by lesson 55 I forgot that the bellboy brought up a mineral water to the guy in the first lesson...
stuff like that.

One comment... I don't know if you have Platiquemos also, but the FSI drills from 31-45 are missing some audio on
some of the drills like the translation drills. They just say the Spanish to be repeated. It is not a problem, but you
may want to do Platiquemos.    

Thanks for the heads-up! No, I don't have Platiquemos. It's nice to know in advance that the audio is a bit off in FSI,
that way I won't be confused. I'm glad to hear that they don't do too many review lessons. While I definitely see the
value in reviewing grammar points, I don't see why remembering piddly details is terribly important.

Gracias y feliz Navidad!
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 138 of 384
26 December 2013 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
As I've mentioned more than once, I wasn't planning on starting Tagalog until May, when I get back from Spain.
I'm busy enough immersing myself in Spanish, figuring out my packing list for the Camino de Santiago, doing
training hikes, and - oh yeah - working, cleaning the house, taking care of my dog, hanging out with my
husband.

But now I've joined TAC14 Team Coconut (SouthEast Asian languages), and I really don't want to wait until May to
get started! I've also been curious for some time about Memrise. It looked like fun, but it wasn't really something
that I wanted to do with Spanish, since I already have more than enough Spanish materials. So today I started a
Tagalog course on Memrise:

Foundation Tagalog

My goal for the next three months is to focus most of my language-learning time on Spanish, and spend just a
few minutes each day on Memrise. I'm going to explore the "plant" and "water" cycle with five words per day,
doing nothing else for Tagalog until May. It will be a fun little experiment to see if I like Memrise, it will let me
play with a new language, and it will give me a bit of a head start on Tagalog - without losing my focus on
Spanish.

Just for fun, I made a list of words that I already know in Tagalog (spelling may be very off, since I only know how
to say them):

masarap - delicious
pogey - good-looking
magaling - good
aso - dog
salamat (po) - thank you
komusta - how are you
mabuti - fine
bigas - rice (uncooked)
canin - rice (cooked)
tubig - water
malamig - cold
mainit - hot
tulog - sleep

I think it's really interesting that Tagalog has a different name for rice, depending on whether or not it's cooked!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 139 of 384
27 December 2013 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
I've decided to start a new log for Tagalog, and keep this log specific to Spanish.

my Tagalog
log

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 140 of 384
30 December 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
I put up a new blog post today outlining my goals for 2014, along with an image of my very low-tech tracking
sheet:

Spanish 2014

Edited by Stelle on 30 December 2013 at 3:34pm

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 141 of 384
30 December 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Very nice blog. I think your tracking sheet is a great idea. I use an excel spreadsheet to do something similar, but have only two categories: oral and written. Oral is for skype conversations, listening to audiobooks/podcasts, watching films, etc and Written is for reading, writing emails, doing grammar exercises or reviewing vocabulary. For every 20 minutes spent doing an activity, I record a star at the end of the day. Sounds childish, but it keeps me happy...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 142 of 384
30 December 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
What an impressive language journey this log chronicles!

As a newbie in Spanish there’s no doubt that there’s much I can learn from you. I’m looking forward to a fantastic TAC’14 for Team Lobo!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 143 of 384
30 December 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Very nice blog. I think your tracking sheet is a great idea. I use an excel spreadsheet to do
something similar, but have only two categories: oral and written. Oral is for skype conversations, listening to
audiobooks/podcasts, watching films, etc and Written is for reading, writing emails, doing grammar exercises or
reviewing vocabulary. For every 20 minutes spent doing an activity, I record a star at the end of the day. Sounds
childish, but it keeps me happy...

Childish and happy - sounds like the best way to learn, as far as I'm concerned! ;) I like your two categories…that
makes a lot of sense.

Emme wrote:
What an impressive language journey this log chronicles!

As a newbie in Spanish there’s no doubt that there’s much I can learn from you. I’m looking forward to a fantastic
TAC’14 for Team Lobo!

Thanks Emme! I'm looking forward to learning with you this year!

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4484 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 144 of 384
30 December 2013 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Hi Stelle. Great goals! I'm stealing your tracking sheet for my B2 German. Changing a few things, but I love the layout.

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version