Germany
Joined 3854 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 242 of 384
02 May 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Hello Stelle,
I really enjoyed reading your log (however I just read from page 16 due to time..)
It's really motivating how you track your progress. I'm still at the beginning of self-
teaching and I just can't motivate myself to any structured learing and stick to it ^^
I hope that the SC and 6WC will motivate me, because I can compare and compete with
others.

I really liked you recommendations and links to your blog.. I defenitely have to go and
read that :D
I'm looking forward to continue reading what you update here :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 243 of 384
09 May 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I've been home from Spain for 10 days now. I figured that I'd have put up several log entries and blog posts by
now, but the truth is that I'm still processing everything!

Did I love Spain?

Yes, yes, a million times yes! We walked nearly 800 kilometres through stunning landscapes and beautiful old
villages. I met dozens of interesting people, ate amazing food (free tapas in Leon! Be still my heart!), and was
surrounded by at least a half-dozen different languages every day.

Was my Spanish good enough for my trip?

Yes, absolutely.

I was able to chat with local bar owners and hospitaleros. The more I chatted, the more my confidence increased,
until I no longer hesitated at all before jumping into conversations with strangers. In the beginning, I felt shy. By
the end, I just wanted to talk and talk and talk to everyone!

Even better, I was able to forge friendships with Spanish peregrinos. While walking the camino de Santiago,
strong friendships can take hold very quickly. I was pleased to find that I could talk about just about anything,
both simple and more complex. My listening comprehension improved to the point that I felt comfortable
following along during rapid-fire conversations between 5+ Spaniards at a time (although of course there were
times when I wasn't quite sure what was going on. Ha!). The biggest compliment to my language was when I
asked Spanish-speakers to slow down, and they told me that they forgot that I'm not Spanish. (I also like Spanish
people because they're shocked when they find out that I'm 35. I choose to believe that they actually do believe
that I'm a decade younger than I am, rather than finding out if it's a cultural thing in Spain to tell people that they
look young. Haha!)

It took some work to get used to the way that Spaniards interrupt each other! Conversations are very loud and
boisterous - even more so than they are in my loud and boisterous family. I took it as a compliment when my
new friends interrupted and talked over me - I figured that it meant that they accepted me as "one of them".

My best language experience:

Twice we stayed in albergues with communal meals and sharing circles in the evenings. Both times, the
hospitalero grabbed me by the hand, pulled me up to the front, and had me translate everyone's stories. I
repeated French-speakers' stories in Spanish and English; English-speakers' in French and Spanish; and French-
speakers' in English and Spanish. I just apologized to the German-speakers. Haha! (Nah, all but a few of the
dozens of German-speakers that I met spoke beautiful English, and the few who didn't had plenty of willing
translators.) But sharing people's stories like that, seeing them smile at each other, knowing that I was helping
people communicate across language barriers…it was one of the coolest moments that I've experienced in my
life.

I acted as a translator in some capacity almost every day, sometimes during large noisy multi-lingual communal
meals, other times when someone needed help finding supplies in a pharmacy. I had to talk on the phone in
Spanish a few times - now THAT was hard! But I managed!

Did my Spanish improve?

Nope. I really don't think that it did, at least not technically speaking. The experience of the camino is such that
you find yourself talking about the same things over and over again. I didn't improve my grammar, that's for
sure. After the steep adjustment of the first few weeks, I'd say that I coasted during the last month.

But in other ways, I guess that I did improve! My confidence sky-rocketed, so that I jumped into loud group
conversations without any hesitation. When asking for very simple things that I asked for over and over again (a
bed in an albergue; directions to the next town; a beer at a bar), I was mistaken at times for a Spaniard. Of
course, a few more sentence, and that fell to pieces! But still, I guess my accent, speed and rhythm improved.

So what now?

Good question. I joined the SuperChallenge, but I have yet to really jump in. I came home with a terrible flu, and
spent the first week in bed. Then, before I was quite recovered, I went back to work full-time on Monday.
Teaching takes a lot out of me at the best of times; when I'm tired, it takes pretty much everything that I have. I
still haven't processed my trip, looked at my photos, or even unpacked.

(Of course the reason I haven't unpacked is because my backpack is triple-bagged in the shed due to a
harrowing encounter with bed bugs, but that's another story…)

I've started learning Tagalog at the rhythm of half an hour a day, but because I'm an absolute beginner, it doesn't
take much energy. I have to figure out how to balance my time so that I have enough mental energy to learn
some basic Tagalog, continue improving my Spanish, and also read in English. The next week or two will be
about finding that balance!

I also hope to put up some new blog posts in the next few weeks, both about language learning and about the
Camino de Santiago.

edited because typos hurt my eyes

Edited by Stelle on 09 May 2014 at 10:28pm

14 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 244 of 384
09 May 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
¡Maravilloso! Well done, indeed, Stelle! What an amazing experience you had! Thanks for taking the time to write about it for us. I wonder, would it have been as much fun for you if you could only speak English? Somehow, I doubt it. It seems being able to speak Spanish enriched it for you. That's why I learn languages, for experiences like that. No one can ever take those away from you.

I'm looking forward to continuing to follow your progress- not only in Spanish, but in Tagalog as well.

Edited by iguanamon on 10 May 2014 at 12:37pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5170 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 245 of 384
10 May 2014 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Thank you for posting such a great summary of what sounds like such a great experience.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 246 of 384
11 May 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Komma, Iguanamon, James29 - thanks for the encouragement!

Yes, Spanish *definitely* improved my trip. Now, my challenge is to keep improving my Spanish without a travel
goal to work towards.

Today, for the first time since coming home, I felt the urge to do stuff in Spanish. I'm glad, because I was a little
bit worried that my motivation was disappearing! I think that I just needed a bit of a break, and now I'll be able to
hit my stride again. Today I read for 40 minutes, watched an episode of Los Simpsons and caught up with my
italki tutor (who I now count as a friend).

That said, I think that I will only be doing authentic real world stuff: reading books, watching TV, chatting with
my tutor on Skype. I tried to pick up where I left off with FSI Basic Spanish, and it was physically painful. I just…
couldn't do it. No way. It's hard to explain, but it wasn't only unfun, it actually made me cringe. Every step of my
walk was a struggle, until - after only 15 minutes - I shut it off, and then the spring returned to my step. Maybe
I'll go back to formal study again someday, but for the foreseeable future, I think I'll just do stuff in Spanish and
trust that the grammar will follow.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 247 of 384
11 May 2014 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
It sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

I've gotten to the point where authentic stuff is what I use with Spanish, too. Even if it is translated or dubbed (like the Simpsons). It is using the language, instead of studying it. I think that was one of the ideas behind the Super Challenge, too. There comes a point where it is more effective to *use* the language than to "study" it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 248 of 384
11 May 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
There comes a point where it is more effective to *use* the language than to "study" it.

I absolutely agree with this. And really, it's my goal with language learning: to be able to use Spanish. I don't
really care how well I "know" it, so long as I can use it.

That said, I do know that I'll need some explicit grammar study at some point, since I'm struggling with complex
verbal forms in the past tense when speaking:

If I'd known…
It would have been…
If I hadn't walked so far...
etc.

I have absolutely no issue understanding them when listening or reading, but I can't produce them myself. While
my tutor corrects me and helps me formulate my thoughts when I ask her, those tricky structures don't seem to
be sinking in. A few exercises and SRS follow-up will certainly help, but I don't think I'll be going back to FSI. I
suspect that in the nearish future I'll dust off my Practice Makes Perfect Verb Tenses book, which got put away
halfway through the chapter on past subjunctive. (Of course, I forget where I put it, so I'll have to find it first!)

Not yet, though. For now, I'll just play!

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version