tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 217 of 384
26 February 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Hey Stelle! Spain sounds awesome. I was in Madrid and Barcelona for a few days in
December and January, and I had a good time.

Just a quick question, if you don't mind. You said you use FSI Spanish Basic as an audio-only course. I'm
assuming the audio is all-Spanish, right? What do you do when you don't know a word or sentence?

I've thought about doing audio-only with DLI Portuguese Basic, which probably has a lot of similarities with FSI
Spanish Basic, but I have no idea how to deal with words I don't know. At the very least, I would need to look up
all the unknown words and phrases of a dialog before I work with only the audio.

I'm not familiar with the DLI course, so I'm not sure if it's the same as FSI Spanish. But I started FSI several
months into learning Spanish, and I find that I'm able to understand most new words from context. Anything I'm
iffy on will usually be cleared up during a translation drill. If there's something that I'm not sure of, I check it up
on word reference when I get home from my walk.

My approach really wouldn't work for someone who didn't already have a decent grasp of vocabulary and
vocabulary, though. If I was using it as an absolute beginner, I would be relying much more heavily on the text.

I just started unit 47, and I find that there's a big jump in difficulty from volume 3 to volume 4, so I'm going to
repeat the last unit - and if it's still hard on the second run-through, I'll read the lesson in the text.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 218 of 384
26 February 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Ooh, thank you for the inspiration! I need to follow your example and learn a few basics of
Catalan. I've already been trying to get more exposure to the vosotros form of Castellano in preparation for my
upcoming trip, but it didn't occur to me to expose myself to Catalan until I read your log. What was I
thinking?... Thanks again,
...and I'm SO impressed that you are already packing, although it makes perfect sense since every gram will count
as you walk the path.
What a fabulous adventure you'll soon be having! :)

One of my language partners is Catalan. What a neat language! It's almost like a cross between Spanish and
French. (Also, I'm fascinated by Catalan after watching the Spanish period drama Isabel.)

I think that even if the only word that you can say is "hello", using people's language can open doors and spread
goodwill.

As for already packing - well, I have to do some training walks with my pack. I'm not training enough at all, but I
figure that the first time I walk with a full pack shouldn't be while trudging uphill for 25 km. Ha! I've read that the
first day through the Pyranees is the hardest one.

When are you going to Spain?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 219 of 384
26 February 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
kujichagulia, the Spanish FSI course is really great. I think it is best used with the book, but only
to read the grammar explanations and to catch any words you couldn't make out, whether from the fast speech
of the speakers or the poor recording quality. You don't need the book for any of the drills, however, and you
also don't need it for any vocabulary. The vocabulary is generally presented in a dialog at the start of the unit
which includes an English translation (that you're supposed to translate into Spanish). I think that's the only
actual English on the recordings, but it's been a while since i've gone through the course.

There's no English recording during the dialogue at the start of each unit - just the Spanish repeated over and
over again. I think that the text-free approach only works if already have a big enough vocabulary to draw from.
The only English on the recordings is during translation drills - many of which do come from the dialogues (both
from the current unit and from prior units).

Honestly, I think that I would use the text more if it didn't have all of that phonetic spelling making everything so
messy and chaotic-looking. The phonetic spelling does a number on my already limited abilities to focus. ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 220 of 384
26 February 2014 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Yeah, though if you're using it as your main course and not as a way to activate what you
already know...

I think that this is the best way to describe how I use FSI. It isn't my main course at all. I'm not necessarily using it
to "learn Spanish", but rather to practice and work on what I already know. I don't really have a main course. Until
I started reading this board, I was only marginally aware of self-study language courses!

Very briefly, here's my path so far:

At the very beginning (late May-late June), I learned Spanish using:
LiveMocha (which I do not recommend - it wan't as free as it pretended to be, and the language partners weren't
set up yet. It may be better now, but I don't plan on revisiting it to check.)
CoffeeBreak Spanish (which I only vaguely recommend if you're looking for survival tourist talk. I think I got to
lesson 20 or so. It was a good confidence-booster, because it was so easy. Then it got boring, again because it
was so easy.)
BBC's Mi Vida Loca (same as Coffee Break Spanish)

Then, after about four weeks or so, I started finding the resources that really worked for me:
language exchanges and Skype tutors (the best thing I could possibly have done for my language learning)
the first 8 lessons from Pimsleur (highly recommended, but get it for free at your library)
Destinos (LOVE! I watched all 52 episodes within 3 months)
Duolingo (which I recommend up to an A2 level)
Notes in Spanish (I started with intermediate - highly recommended)
reading Roald Dahl novels
reading (and listening to) texts on VeinteMundos (also highly recommended)
anki for SRS (highly recommended, although I've been falling off the anki wagon lately)
Practice Makes Perfect workbooks (again, very very useful, and something that I have to get back to soon)

So as you can see, my language learning was a bit haphazard. It worked for me, because I was getting lots of
input from different sources. This led to a wonderful sense of synergy - I was being exposed to the same words
in many different contexts. I also participated in the summer Six Week Challenge, which helped me make some
great strides in learning Spanish.

I started FSI sometime in October, about 4 or 5 months after I started learning Spanish. I wasn't necessarily
looking for a course; I was looking for something that I could do while walking, because I found that language
learning was too sedentary. To give you some context: by the time I started working with FSI, I could carry on a
basic conversation in Spanish for an hour, read books by Roald Dahl with 95% understanding without a parallel
text, listen with 90%+ understanding to the intermediate Notes in Spanish podcasts, and comfortably use (or at
least recognize) most indicative verb tenses.

I wouldn't say that I used FSI as a beginner, but as an early intermediate Spanish speaker. I don't think that a
beginner could use FSI Spanish the way that I use it.

Now that I'm at unit 47, FSI has caught up to me. I haven't yet learned the past subjunctive in my grammar
workbooks, and I'm finding unit 47 very difficult. I'll either have to read the FSI text that goes along with the
lesson, or else I'll have to hit the grammar books again. I think I'll go with the second choice, so that I can
practice past subjunctive, SRS some basic sentences, and then reinforce what I've learned using the FSI drills.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 221 of 384
28 February 2014 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Well, I've fallen completely off the anki wagon. I've done my anki decks without fail since starting my Spanish study,
but over the past month or so, I find myself putting it off and letting it go for a few days. I set my review limit at 50
per day (with 2 decks, this meant 100 cards per day), and that helped, but I'd still forget now and then. And now I
haven't touched my anki decks (aside from euskara and gallego) in a week and a half.

I only have two weeks to go before my trip. Getting caught up seems a bit futile, since I won't be touching anki at all
for almost 7 weeks. I think that I'll just let it go for now, only doing it if I actually feel like it. When I get back, I'll
keep my limit set at 50, treat it as a new deck, and see if I feel that it's useful again.
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4816 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 222 of 384
28 February 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Classic! You have hit the dreaded unit 47! Things get really hard at that point. I think that's a point where you really have to dip into the book a bit. I definitely haven't any where near mastered the content in those units yet.

Have fun!

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4416 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 223 of 384
02 March 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Your overview of your learning history was interesting. Thanks for sharing that and your opinion of various
materials out there. As you say, synergy is really important and useful. I'm doing that with Russian currently and it's
working well so far. I did listen to a little of FSI Spanish, but I need to find the right lesson (the one I picked was too
easy). And I totally relate to your comment about language learning being too sedentary. I've done walking or
biking while listening to podcasts, but nothing where I have to repeat after the speaker. I'm afraid I might crash
into a tree or something... maybe if I picked something really easy to repeat after it would be ok.
I'm a bit distracted and busy right now wrapping up things before my trip, but will probably revisit FSI once I return.
I'll be in Spain starting around the same time you are (mid-March), but won't be doing anything as ambitious as
what you'll be doing. Instead I plan to just relax, see the sights and spend time with family.
Catalan is definitely an interesting and beautiful language. Just as you said, picking up even a few friendly words
would be good. At least "hola" is the same in Spanish and Catalan, but it does sound very slightly different or maybe
I'm just imagining that? :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 224 of 384
02 March 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
In Catalan, non-stressed a's and e's turn into a schwa, so it is possible that they sound slightly different, though i think you would barely notice it in "hola".

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version