69 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 8 9 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 25 of 69
23 September 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
tarvos wrote:
This just sounds like "I'm making excuses, so I'll
find a way to get out of doing the real work and call it shadowing".

I won't lose my time with such nonsense. If you don't understand what I say, please give
others a chance to read what I said without your meaningless distractions. Please.

I understood you just fine. That you don't agree with the conclusion isn't my problem.
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5358 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 26 of 69
23 September 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
[Professor Arguelles] says his pronunciation is atrocious when he's
not shadowing. Doesn't sound to me like shadowing is a great way to improve your
pronunciation. Does it to you?

lingoleng wrote:

Flawless pronunciation can be seen as a minor goal of shadowing, compared with the
general usefulness of shadowing on a way from passive to active abilities.

The prof has said himself, that shadowing is a way to learn a language, not a way to
improve pronunciation. He has acknowledged, and others sometimes have commented on his
videos, the quality of his pronunciation is not especially good in many/most of his
languages, apart from German, for which he had a private tutor.

He has produced a series of videos specifically addressing the subject of
pronounciation/accent starting here.

(I found them a bit long winded, and don't really remember any other conclusions)

Edited by schoenewaelder on 23 September 2013 at 6:07pm

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4106 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 27 of 69
25 September 2013 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Yikes. Not one success story yet? I don't want to have the burden of being an example of
effectiveness, but I it's a fact that I worked my way from shadowing Linguaphone to
shadowing real literature in 4 months or so. Whether or not it has long-term benefits over
other methods is an interesting question but whether or not it works isn't.

I felt silly doing it for the first week, but because I respected Arguelles and believed
him when he said it was successful for him, I persevered in it. It works. I think it's the
best method, and it seems to me that the L-R method is almost identical to it in
principle. Both involve "acclimatizing" yourself to one text and audio.

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5530 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 28 of 69
25 September 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Retinend, I think people missed my post on page 3 talking about how shadowing works well for me, and you don't even need a text if you do it with Pimsleur. This makes it a lot less cumbersome to do the fast pacing and standing up straight part, which are actually very important. But if you insist on sitting down in front of a computer (which is missing out on a lot) you can shadow audiobooks - or even videos if you go without a text.

Seriously, shadowing Pimsleur is both easy and effective. Just answer twice - once in the silence, and once simultaneously with the speaker.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 29 of 69
25 September 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
[Professor Arguelles] says his pronunciation
is atrocious when he's
not shadowing. Doesn't sound to me like shadowing is a great way to improve your
pronunciation. Does it to you?

lingoleng wrote:

Flawless pronunciation can be seen as a minor goal of shadowing, compared with the
general usefulness of shadowing on a way from passive to active abilities.

The prof has said himself, that shadowing is a way to learn a language, not a way to
improve pronunciation. He has acknowledged, and others sometimes have commented on his
videos, the quality of his pronunciation is not especially good in many/most of his
languages, apart from German, for which he had a private tutor.

He has produced a series of videos specifically addressing the subject of
pronounciation/accent starting here.

(I found them a bit long winded, and don't really remember any other conclusions)

With respect, I think he has talked about shadowing and improving pronunciation
"in the same breath" (as it were), either in writing or on one of his videos. I can't
give you a citation off the top of my head, but I will try to find one.

I am not saying that he says it's a main purpose of shadowing, but (I believe) he
thinks it is one of the benefits. I know that various people here disagree that it is
of any use for improving pronunciation, and some are skeptical of the whole process
altogether.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 30 of 69
25 September 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
montmorency wrote:
Professor Arguelles himself seems to have got a
lot out of it, although it may
possibly not be what people are expecting to get out of it themselves.

He himself wrote on his site: "My Chinese pronunciation is confessedly atrocious, but
it is infinitely better
when I am shadowing than when I am not".

In other words, he says his pronunciation is atrocious when he's not shadowing. Doesn't
sound to me like
shadowing is a great way to improve your pronunciation. Does it to you?

I'd want to ask him what he means by that statement.
It seems capable of more than one interpretation.

To me, he is implying that if he carried on shadowing Chinese, his pronunciation of
Chinese would eventually succeed. I assumed the context of his Chinese video was that
he'd returned to it after a long time, and not much success with it up to then, but he
was now (then) working on it more intensely.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 31 of 69
25 September 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:
Retinend, I think people missed my post on page 3 talking about how
shadowing works well for me, and you don't even need a text if you do it with Pimsleur.
This makes it a lot less cumbersome to do the fast pacing and standing up straight
part, which are actually very important. But if you insist on sitting down in front of
a computer (which is missing out on a lot) you can shadow audiobooks - or even videos
if you go without a text.

Seriously, shadowing Pimsleur is both easy and effective. Just answer twice - once in
the silence, and once simultaneously with the speaker.

I guess I do something similar to what you do with Pimsleur, with my SSiW (Welsh), and
one could do it with Michel Thomas probably. i.e. the 1st audio teacher says something
in the base language (English in this case): You give the equivalent in the TL. You
then hear a female give the "correct" version. You then hear the male teacher again
give the "correct" TL equivalent, and I usually say it again, at the same time as him.
I'm not sure if I'd really call it shadowing in the sense that Professor Arguelles
means it, to be honest, or if it really helps, but I do it anyway.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 32 of 69
25 September 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
I have just looked at the shadowing videos that Professor Arguelles has listed on his own website, and
(although one should look at all of them), I think this is the best, especially in regard to using
shadowing with parallel texts:

Shadowing Step By Step

For completeness his homepage:

Professor Arguelles Home Page

His Video links page:

Professor Arguelles Videos

See the Other Methodological Videos: section.

There are 3 specific shadowing videos, 4 on accent formation, 1 on scriptorium, and a few others.

At about 4 minutes into "Shadowing Step By Step" (see above for link) he talks about pronunciation,
although he does not give undue emphasis to it, to be honest. I'm sure I've either seen him write, or
heard him say, something more positive about shadowing + pronunciation, but at this moment, I cannot
produce a specific quote.

Having said that, I think he sees shadowing as being about something much more than pronunciation, and
he also sees it being important at the very early stages of language learning. (I know there is a
comment above suggesting he started shadowing Chinese "too early". I suggest that he would disagree.

As some people will know, I have been following an audio-only course in Welsh, and in a way, I kind of
know where he is coming from when he talks about shadowing almost from day 1. Because that is speaking
from day 1, and that is what SSiW does, what Michel Thomas does, and what Benny does (I guess), and
maybe what Assimil does (I've never seen an Assimil course). The professor seems to be a fan of
Assimil.

He talked about the number of hours of audio available with Assimil and (e.g.) TYS, and (unless I
misheard, neither seemed to compete with SSiW, which is 36 times 30 minutes for Course 1 = 18 hours,
similar for Course 2, and I think eventually Course 3, i.e. 54 hours if you follow all 3 courses.

Admittedly with pauses for students to speak.

Well, leaving that aside, and I think that Assimil has a written content, which SSiW definitely
doesn't, reminds me that he is very book-oriented, i.e. written-oriented. He would not dream (I think)
of following a course that didn't have some written content (perhaps why he doesn't list Michel Thomas
on his list of courses...

...at one time, I would have been asking "where is the text???" - Now I don't. I think I see the
reasoning behind SSiW (and SSi other languages, e.g. Spanish, Dutch).

OTOH, I think the Shadowing "ideal" is probably:

an audiobook,

followed by a podcast with transcript,

followed by a podcast without transcript.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version