Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4627 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 49 of 69
30 September 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
As the issue of shadowing and its place (or the question of whether it has a place or not) in TL accent and pronunciation has been
mentioned again recently, I thought this old post of Professor Arguelles was quite interesting.

Some thoughts on accent and pronunciation

(from 20 April 2008 )

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jamopy
EnglandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4379 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 50 of 69
30 September 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
As i said i don't have any ideal material, so i went onto the SVT (Swedish tv channel)
website and had a go at blind shadowing one of their programs. With some of the speakers
i could understand enough to have an idea what they were talking about and was able to
get a fair amount of words. With others i could hardly understand a thing they said as
they were speaking far too fast for me, and also some seemed to have different accents.
With the second groups i'll admit i was just babbling along trying to make sounds that
sounded similar to theirs.

So after my first try i'm not sure if i'm doing it right, but it feels a bit
overwhelming.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4627 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 51 of 69
30 September 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Jamopy wrote:
As i said i don't have any ideal material, so i went onto the SVT
(Swedish tv channel)
website and had a go at blind shadowing one of their programs. With some of the
speakers
i could understand enough to have an idea what they were talking about and was able to
get a fair amount of words. With others i could hardly understand a thing they said as
they were speaking far too fast for me, and also some seemed to have different accents.
With the second groups i'll admit i was just babbling along trying to make sounds that

overwhelming.

I have also tried it in that style (in my case listening to podcasts or internet
broadcasts from Welsh radio), and it is a bit overwhelming.

Until you can get more used to it, it might be better to start with smaller chunks of
comprehensible material, e.g. audio from any particular course you may be following.

If you don't mind spending a bit of money, Swedish Made Easy looks interesting. (But
I've never tried it, and please don't take that as an actual recommendation).

There is also Swedishlinq. You have to register, but I think it's basically free.

Oh Say it in Swedish may be ok, but looks like
there may not be many lessons.

EDIT: There is a related site:

Sprichmalschwedisch

which uses German as the base language.

However, even if you don't understand German, you could still listen and shadow the Swedish, and if there are
transcripts,that should make it easier.

EDIT2: To be honest, comparing the 1st German version lesson with the 1st English version, you might be better off with the
German one! They seemed to be taking it a bit more seriously. You have the transcript to guide you through the Swedish
audio, and you might pick up a bit of German at the same time.

EDIT3:

You may also find this useful. It's Scandinavian generally, not just Swedish though:

Scandinavian/Nordic Language Resources

Edited by montmorency on 30 September 2013 at 9:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jamopy
EnglandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4379 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 52 of 69
01 October 2013 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Jamopy wrote:
As i said i don't have any ideal material, so i
went onto the SVT
(Swedish tv channel)
website and had a go at blind shadowing one of their programs. With some of the
speakers

overwhelming.

I have also tried it in that style (in my case listening to podcasts or internet
broadcasts from Welsh radio), and it is a bit overwhelming.

Until you can get more used to it, it might be better to start with smaller chunks of
comprehensible material, e.g. audio from any particular course you may be following.

If you don't mind spending a bit of money, Swedish Made Easy looks interesting. (But
I've never tried it, and please don't take that as an actual recommendation).

There is also Swedishlinq. You have to register, but I think it's basically free.

Oh Say it in Swedish may be ok, but looks like
there may not be many lessons.

EDIT: There is a related site:

Sprichmalschwedisch

which uses German as the base language.

However, even if you don't understand German, you could still listen and shadow the
Swedish, and if there are
transcripts,that should make it easier.

EDIT2: To be honest, comparing the 1st German version lesson with the 1st English
version, you might be better off with the
German one! They seemed to be taking it a bit more seriously. You have the transcript
to guide you through the Swedish
audio, and you might pick up a bit of German at the same time.

EDIT3:

You may also find this useful. It's Scandinavian generally, not just Swedish though:

TID=19352&PN=0&TPN=1">Scandinavian/Nordic Language Resources

At £200 for 10 lessons i could probably hire a private tutor for cheaper than Swedish
made easy. Not that i'm going to do that either. I've spent money on lessons before
when i started Swedish and it seemed a very uneconomical way of learning.

The other links look good! Both seem to have tons of basic dialogue that i could wrap
my ears around and practice with. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4157 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 53 of 69
02 October 2013 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
Meanwhile I saw that video with the professor, and totally shadowed him as he was talking. I wasn't walking, but I was very focused. It does help with picking up the music and rythm of the language, but I don't think it would help me learn wodrs etc.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4107 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 54 of 69
02 October 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Why don't you think you could learn words by shadowing?

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4157 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 55 of 69
02 October 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
It was too fast for me. It helped with other things, but not with remembering words. Of course I may be wrong, as I haven't really used it consistently.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4107 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 56 of 69
03 October 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm surprised. Did you go beyond blind shadowing, so that you were also consulting the L1
and L2 translations? If you did this, shadowed thoroughly, then wrote out the text in your
scriptorium, I'm certain that the words would stick, and without any list-style vocab
learning.

If you can recite the lyrics of any song you know and love, you have proved for yourself
the validity of shadowing. If that sounds specious, think about how many times you've sung
along to that song, or at least sub-vocally sung along; or about how you've revisited that
song's lyrics and thought about what the words might mean; or about times when you've had
the song running around in your head all day. Despite the fact that it sounds like hocus
pocus compared with well-established learning methods, shadowing is nothing more than a
regime of repetition. All the successful methods are.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version