Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 41 of 69
27 September 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Further to my post above, I just noticed some recentish comments to "Shadowing Step by
Step", which Erenko posted the link to:

Quote:

Hello professor, Two questions: I don't see any video replies. I know it is years past
the one week you offered for people to post video replies, but are you still accepting
them?
Second Question: Do you recommend noise canceling earbuds? I use them when shadowing
and I can't hear myself speaking, but I can hear the sound in my head that is made when
I speak and it sort of drowns out the sounds coming from my earbuds, thus forcing me to
speak softly. Thank you so much for your help!
Reply · Vote UpVote Down

ProfASAr
ProfASAr 4 months ago
1. Yes 2. No (for exactly the reasons you mention - neither cheap earbuds nor high-end
ones are good for this purpose - use mid-range sports earbuds).

Not quite a complete answer, but Retinend's reply was obviously on the right lines.

Edited by montmorency on 27 September 2013 at 2:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4357 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 42 of 69
27 September 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
And does anyone else have an opinion on it?

I also prefer headphones to earbuds. I find it much easier to monitor my pronunciation without lumps of plastic resonating in my ear canals and blocking out my voice. Likewise, it's important for me that the volume is just right: not too loud for me to hear my own voice, and not so quiet that I'd have to speak softly to hear the recording. I tend to think these tweaks improve the quality of my diction somewhat, but more importantly, they allow me to speak in a more relaxed and natural way, which is one of the principal challenges of shadowing for for me.

Edited by sans-serif on 27 September 2013 at 3:21pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 43 of 69
27 September 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to add that shadowing is also used by (beginning?) simultaneous interpreters as a practice method: they listen to a speech and try to repeat everything that is said at the same time. I'd also note that when you do this over several minutes -- and I encourage you to give it a try -- you are unlikely to remember most of what was said because you only work within a short-term memory frame. In other words, if you shadow a different language, you will concentrate on the task at hand, usually concentrating more on meaning than on sounds, and it's unlikely you will extract any significant lessons from the exercise (although you could pause every time something significant catches your attention, take notes, then start again).

As for headphones, my experience as a conference interpreter suggests you'd want to find a sweet spot between hearing the speech properly and hearing yourself enough to monitor what you are saying.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 69
27 September 2013 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
(I've just remembered that he used to post here, and maybe it's somewhere here in one of his postings, if I try to search back. I'll come back and say if I find anything, but anyone else do feel free to chip in).

I did a search for messages written by Arguelles including the word headphones, and this thread was the only result:
Shadowing demonstration video

You've probably seen it already, and no, there aren't any real explanations to why he regards earphones better than headphones. Maybe you're able to decipher his posts better than I.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 45 of 69
27 September 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Sans-serif, Arekkusu, and Jeff Lindqvist for the comments.

I've now googled around for "stethoscope efffect" and earphones / earbuds, and I think
I now understand what Retinend and Professor Arguelles were getting at.

For regular earbud users, the "stethoscope effect" is seen as a negative thing, because
it can mean that if the cable from your earbuds rubs against your clothing, you will
hear every vibration. I think by careful positioning of the cable you can probably
avoid this, and it seems that the expensive noise-cancelling ones will eliminate this
problem anyway.

But for shadowers, it's a positive thing, because the vibration from your voice will
presumably be transmitted through your skull and into the earpieces and you should hear
yourself, and can compare yourself directly with the voice on the audio.

That's why the professor doesn't recommend the expensive noise-cancelling ones, as they
would get rid of this effect. Very interesting.

Well I'll experiment with some mid-range "sports earbuds" and see if I can make it work
for me (and try to find quiet places where I can shadow).

Edited by montmorency on 30 September 2013 at 11:25am

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4106 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 46 of 69
28 September 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
So how important exactly is this feedback, and how does it work?

I don't think it's very important, but especially when you're starting out you want to
avoid
anything which makes shadowing harder than it already is, it's a good idea. I wouldn't
think that it would make any
difference at all to whether shadowing is possible for a person or not.

I'm talking about earphones like this, by the way:

The seal in your ear creates that stethoscope effect I mentioned. Like how if you just
put your
fingers in your ears you can hear your own heartbeat. If you speak, then your voice
sounds like a
lot of reverb has been added at the bass end. It's this "feedback" which allows you to
match what
you're saying to the audio simultaneously.

But to see what I mean, just listen to your own language and try out these things. It's
pretty easy
to do. It's only difficult in a foreign language because you're not good enough at it
yet. Seen
this way, any given instance of shadowing is a test of whether you truly understand
what is being
said.

Edited by Retinend on 28 September 2013 at 8:24pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 47 of 69
30 September 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
@Retinend:

Thanks for the additional information and graphic. Very interesting.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 48 of 69
30 September 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
montmorency wrote:
(I've just remembered that he used to post here, and maybe it's
somewhere here in one of his postings, if I try to search back. I'll come back and say if I find anything, but
anyone else do feel free to chip in).

I did a search for messages written by Arguelles including the word headphones, and this thread was the
only result:
Shadowing demonstration video

You've probably seen it already, and no, there aren't any real explanations to why he regards earphones better
than headphones. Maybe you're able to decipher his posts better than I.

Thanks again for this, and apologies for misspelling your name :-) (now corrected). I notice some comments
from others bring out the sort of points made by Retinend, and some other interesting points. Anyone else
interested in shadowing would be recommended to read that old thread, as well as this one, and should of
course also watch Professor Arguelles' videos.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version