United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 33 of 67
09 November 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:

Latin - There are so many interesting things written in ecclesiastical and classical
Latin! Besides, I went to a Catholic school for nine years (without being Catholic). It
would be kind of cool to read the Pope's tweets in Latin.

And in the Vatican City, I believe, you can draw cash from an ATM in Latin. :-)

Thanks for reminding me about Latin.
That should be somewhere in my list.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 34 of 67
09 November 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Russian: I learned it for three years in primary school, dabbled in a bit a couple of years ago, and I read it from time to time if need be. Some learning materials have been waiting at home for a while. Got really excited when a new Russian channel was added on cable TV, despite the fact I'm not learning Russian.

Esperanto: No learning materials at home but I know the address "lernu.net" by heart... even though I have never actually used it. As a child, I watched "Muzzy in Gondoland" in the Esperanto version. I would really like to go to an Esperanto event (or more of them, if I happen to enjoy it), preferably after having learned at least the basics :).

Those are the two most serious ones. Actually, my language wanderlust seems to be pretty much satisfied for the time being, as I started Swedish and Icelandic, dabbled in my most 'exotic' language so far (Arabic) and decided to take up Dutch seriously, all in the last 16 months (I know, I know, it's far from HTLAL records but for me that's a lot).

The other languages on my radar are:

'easy', i.e. related languages (for passive comprehension mostly, and for some fun in comparative linguistics): other Scandinavian languages, other Romance languages (especially Portuguese), Slovak, Czech (which I learned for a while), Afrikaans

more 'exotic' languages, mostly non-Indo-European (no serious plans here but this might change one day):

Arabic - dabbled with it last summer,
Finnish - can't forget the HTLAL Finnish challenge... and I find the language fascinating,
Hungarian - I did once an Assmil lesson and I would love to go to Budapest,
Korean - no experience whatsoever,
Irish - dabbled with it once, two or three "Speaks" languages ago, if I'm not mistaken - would like to go back to it one day and find out if it got any easier ;),
Turkish - two phrasebooks (with audio), bought before leaving for a week in Istambul. I learned numbers (but I remember "bir" only - yeah, because of the alcoholic association) and some basic phrases,
Modern Greek - added to the language hit list in my HTLAL profile years ago (along with Korean, Esperanto, Finnish, Romanian, Slovak, Hungarian, Danish, Portuguese and Norwegian, by the way... it seems that my list does not change that easily).

'old' languages: Latin (learned it for a year), Old English (browsed through a textbook once)

Edited by Julie on 09 November 2013 at 11:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

aspie.sharaf
Tetraglot
Denmark
Joined 4156 days ago

21 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Danish*, English, Serbo-Croatian, Dutch
Studies: Persian, German, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Thai, Polish, Bulgarian, Pashto, Urdu, French

Message 35 of 67
09 November 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
More polish, and maybe vietnamnese in a near future.
1 person has voted this message useful

cpnlsn88
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4825 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 36 of 67
10 November 2013 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Languages on my radar -

Groups:

Germanic - would like to learn any languages ancient or modern that is within the Germanic family. Mostly branches where I have already some knowledge (English, German), but any Germanic language from Gothic and Old English to German and anything in between plus Icelandic.

Romance - Spanish, Portuguese, Italian

Individual languages (some of which are related):

Turkish
Hebrew (biblical)
Koine Greek
Russian
Irish
Welsh
Gaelic
Serbian
Bulgarian

That'll be all for the moment....

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 37 of 67
10 November 2013 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
@Julie: If you do ever go back to Irish, it seems that there is no shortage of resources
available, judging by Teango's astonishingly long list, which showed up in the "active
threads" recently. (Don't think I'd noticed it before).

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 38 of 67
10 November 2013 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
@montmorency, thanks!

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4491 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 39 of 67
10 November 2013 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
In no particular order:

French - I have six years of school French and not using it now honestly seems like a
bit of a waste.

Swahili - It would certainly broaden my horizons to study an African language, and
Swahili is a big one.

Farsi - One of my good friends is a Hazara Mongolian prince (can't make this up), and
he speaks Farsi with his family. Also, one of my closest friends is half-Iranian, and
that half of her family also speaks Farsi. The Baha'i religion is also pretty cool. So
yeah, I guess I just like a lot of Farsi-related things.

Turkish - There were a lot of Turkish international students at my school, and they
always seemed really interesting. I also like the way the language looks.

German - I think German sounds fantastic, and I'm also into German philosophy (Hesse,
Schopenhauer, etc.). Given my background in Dutch, I would also have a bit of a boost
in this one.

Spanish - Spanish seems like a natural choice given that I live in the U.S. and have
some knowledge of a Romance language.

Russian - Basically all of my fantasies about Russian involve me reading Dostoevsky or
Nabokov in the original on a train in the winter, perhaps framed as a fetching black
and white film still or something.

Danish - I love how Danish sounds and looks, and I would love to visit Denmark someday.

Mandarin - I'm more than 50% Chinese ethnically and feel partly drawn to the language
because of that, though I don't need it to communicate with family members. Plus
Mandarin business language of the future blah blah.

Czech - One of my former roommates was Czech, I love Prague, and the language looks and
sounds incredibly pretty.

Hungarian - This one mostly for page aesthetics again.

Latin - Mostly for Catullus and other sassy suchlike poets.

Edited by Hekje on 10 November 2013 at 2:54am

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 40 of 67
10 November 2013 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
kiswahili

I love Swahili so much! I spent a year travelling in Eastern and Southern Africa 15 years ago, and I still find
myself using Swahili words in day-to-day conversation - even if no one knows what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure that I'll ever study it. There are so many other languages that are more immediately useful to me,
and I don't have any firm plans to go back to Kenya or Tanzania.

But. But. But. Maybe someday.

I also loved Zulu and Xhosa - but those clicks seemed almost impossible to me!

Edited by Stelle on 10 November 2013 at 4:07am

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version