213 messages over 27 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 ... 26 27 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 177 of 213
26 February 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Niet te filmen - an idiomatic expression as well. Your translation is literal, but it's a
pun as well.

What it means is that something is so incredible/unbelievable that even if you caught it
on camera, people would have a hard time believing you.

So what he is insinuating here is that Rotterdam is so amazing that catching it on camera
wouldn't do it justice (and since Deelder recites all his poetry in a thick Rotterdam
accent that makes perfect sense).

(I don't like Deelder.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4496 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 178 of 213
26 February 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the elaboration, Tarvos. What don't you like about Jules Deelder?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 179 of 213
26 February 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
1) I hate Rotterdam accents
2) he is a crack junkie that only ever talks nonsense
3) his poetry is juvenile and unfunny

etc.

There is no eloquence, no subtlety, no nothing to him. In that he perfectly personifies
Rotterdam (do not like the city). I like older Dutch poetry a lot better (for example,
J.C. Bloem is very good).

Jules Deelder is... what we in Dutch call "plat".

Edited by tarvos on 26 February 2014 at 7:15pm

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4496 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 180 of 213
27 February 2014 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Hahaha okay. Fair enough. I thought more or less the same at first, but he's grown on me over time.

Rotterdam is strange. I never know how to feel about it. Pretty much half the times I've been to Rotterdam, I thought
I was literally about to die. It just looks so sinister after dark. :-P

But among Dutch cities it's unique and I like that.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 181 of 213
27 February 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Rotterdam is terrible after dark so that makes total sense.

It is unique, it is one of the few cities that got bombed and somehow nobody seemed to
like the old architecture. So now it is Concrete City.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4496 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 182 of 213
27 February 2014 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
More like Tron City.

Like this... what?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 183 of 213
27 February 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Time for some poetry! I browsed Gedichten.nl by topic and found this piece about music:

Toekomstmuziek

Geef mij de ballade uit de Hades
of een opgewekte blues, ik swing op elke
hiphopversie van Vivaldi, mijn smaak

kent geen limiet, dus leve het licht ontvlambaar
geuzenlied, de wals voor weduwen en wezen,
de bloedeloze stierenvechtersrapsodie.

En vanzelfsprekend zweer ik bij de alchemie
van een schlager voor de goede zeden
of een nocturne voor de ochtendmens.

Maar wat bovenal moet worden aangeprezen
is een marsmuziek, jawel een marsmuziek,
die de mensheid van marcheren zal genezen

(uit: 'Bravissimo', 1994.)

http://www.gedichten.nl/nedermap/gedichten/gedicht/204825.ht ml

It's the first poem I've ever read in Dutch, and with the help of Google Translate, it became pretty transparent (except geuzenlied and aangeprezen) By the way, I'm not that much into poetry at all - in any language - but that may change.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 27 February 2014 at 11:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4055 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 184 of 213
28 February 2014 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
It is with mixed feelings I have to inform Team Oranje that I'm abandoning my Dutch language learning, at least for
a while. I'm still really fascinated by this language - so different in so many ways from the French, Italian and
Spanish I studied in school - but recently found out that we will be leaving the Netherlands sometime between fall
2014 and spring 2015.

I knew this would happen eventually, of course - the Netherlands was never going to be our permanent spot - but
we've ended up living here far longer than I ever imagined, so I assumed we'd be here at least a few years longer. As
you can all appreciate, my motivation for learning Dutch has dropped dramatically! While I could continue with
Dutch, and don't rule out picking it up again in the future, I've always been more drawn to the languages I where I've
already learned some basics. And learning Dutch has reignited my desire to go back to French (where I'm quickly
losing fluency from lack of use), and Italian (which I studied for over 10 years, but never got to any level of speaking
ability). Since my husband and kids (and in-laws!) are French, I think it's past time to get my French back up to
speed. And since my ancestors are Italian, and we have some trips planned to Italy over the next couple of years, I'm
really hoping to get my Italian out of the dusty, buried closet it's currently in, and get up to a decent B1 or B2 level.

Eventually hoping to get beyond my beginner's level Spanish (last studied 30 years ago), but French and Italian are
the more attractive possibilities for me at the moment. I'll continue to check in here, (Go Team Oranje!), but I'll have
to change my learning log to reflect my new reality. Should I start a new log, or just change the name of my current
one? I hate to have multiple logs floating around, every time I change my mind about a language to learn...

Thank you all, and much success in Dutch!

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version