Studies: FrenchB1

Message 81 of 163
16 July 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Mohave wrote:

Pimsleur III - Completed 5 lessons. I started with Pimsleur I a few months ago,
and I found Pimsleur I
and most of Pimsleur II to be too easy and boring, but did it to work to focus on my
accent and
fluidity/automaticity in response. I find myself enjoying Pimsleur III more, and while
not difficult, I do need to
focus more. I like the two new speakers, and the faster speech as well. Here is a link
to Pimsleur I - III
Transcripts I found: Pimsleur Transcripts

Thanks Mohave for the link to the transcripts, that's really cool! I went on a search
to find Pimsleur French IV transcripts but no luck so far, but I did find all the
reading books for all languages here:

Pimsleur Reading Booklets PDFs

Most excellent PeterMollenberg! Thank you very much! Speaking of Pimsleur French IV, have you used it?
So far, I have been able to borrow Pimsleur French I - III from the library. However, I can't find Pimsleur IV
through the library or an interlibrary loan. So, I will probably have to purchase it, and would appreciate any
thoughts and/or reviews!

Actually I really appreciate you posting those transcripts Mohave. That is a decent find and it lead me to
finding the reading booklets, which I was considering scanning. Now I don't have to, thankfully. Also I had
photographed the Michel Thomas booklets with my phone and converted them to PDF. Although the results
were useable the quality didn't look fantastic. To add to that I'd only done this for French and not for my other
MT courses in other languages. So... if you're interested I found the website which has ALL of the Michel
Thomas transcripts.. woohoo!

All Michel Thomas transcripts

Edit:
Sorry in my excitement I forgot to respond to your query. So I haven't used Pimsleur IV yet, can't comment at
all. I can't imagine it being not useful tho. I, like you found Pimsleur I and II a little too easy but again exactly
like you very useful for working on pronunciation. I've finished Pimsleur III but I need to go over all the reading
booklets and add any words i'm unfamiliar with to my flashcard deck. Having done Pimsleur Dutch some time
ago and mocking the series for it's slow development eg Cat = c... c.... c... a... c... at.... etc I've found that
going beyond level 1 in French and even beyond level 2 things start to move along nicely. Still there's little I
didn't
know in level 3 but it's very very useful as you say for pronunciation, reinforcement and developing
automaticity, and not to mention just knowing how common phrases are put together. Great series, just wish
it went even further beyond IV. Sorry mohave I can't comment yet on level IV

Another Edit:
Mohave, great work btw, you're doing fantastically! Tnx for sharing :) Sounds like you're making smart
reading choices too. I'll have to find Renoir at some point too. FWT- how different is this course from the other
Assimil courses? (ie New French With Ease, Using French, and Business French)

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 16 July 2014 at 7:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5197 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 82 of 163
16 July 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
Super Challenge Highlights
Reading: I completed L'Étranger, a 1942 novel, by Albert Camus. L'Étranger topped Le
Monde's 100 Books of the Century. I greatly enjoyed reading my first book of great French literature in the
Super Challenge! I believe I am around an A2/B1 and found it fairly straight forward to read. Having said
that, with the rich usage of language and symbolism in the book, I intend to re-read this book later again in
the challenge. Here is a link to a June 2014 article in the NY Times on a recent updated English translation of
L'Étranger that discusses the subtleties of translation I found interesting
NY Times Articles on
Camus Étranger

Watching: The US Netflix Catalog started streaming Renoir! I had wanted to see this movie for
quite a while, and greatly enjoyed it! I found most of the dialogue slow and largely understandable. I still
needed subtitles in some of the areas. From Wikipedia: Renoir is a 2012 French drama film based on the
last years of Renoir at Cagnes-sur-Mer during World War I. The film was directed by Gilles Bourdos and
competed in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. Renoir has achieved critical
and commercial success both in France and abroad, most notably in the United States where it is on the
Critic's Pick list of The New York Times. The film was selected as the French entry for the Best Foreign
Language Film at the 86th Academy Awards, but it was not nominated. In January 2014, the film received
four nominations at the 39th César Awards, winning for Best Costume Design.   
Here is the Renoir trailer on Youtube

L'Etranger is perfect for intermediate (and above learners). It's usually introduced to students in intermediate French college classes. The language is simple enough for students to grasp but it's not a simplistic story which can get you excited about using French to read real, thought-provoking literature. I think you'll find as you progress that a lot of classic French literature and philosophical writing is quite accessible (depends on the writer/philosopher) and that you can enjoy what many consider to be highbrow literature before you know it.

Either you or someone else mentioned that Netflix added a ton of French movies to the streaming catalog - I just checked it out and I'm very pleased! It's not just big-name actors and niche horror/artsy erotic stuff anymore! lol

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 83 of 163
12 August 2014 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
It's only a month until we arrive in Paris for five days and then on to Belgium for a month. I am really excited
to get to use and improve my French!! I have been out of my regular study routine for a month now due to an
extended family vacation and continuing serious medical issues and caring for parents (including providing
primary care during the vacation). Thankfully, we finally have good news on one parent (still a ways to go in
treatment) and finally a diagnosis on the other (after five months of doctors and hospitals). As a result, I have
been out of my study and SuperChallenge routine, and did not meet with my language exchange partners. In
fact, there were days that I completely missed studying, and many days where I just completed due SRS
flashcards as it was easy to fit in during free moments.

Last week, I was able to meet with one of my Language Exchange Partners. Normally after not speaking for
any length of time, I stumble. So after not speaking for a month, I expected a really rough time. I was
pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too bad (for me). Also, during a 10 hour drive from one parent's house to
another, the rental car had satellite radio, and I was able to listen to Quebec Radio for several hours while
driving.

Super Challenge. I have watched several episodes of Engrenages and Un Village Francais this week, and
am currently reading Les Récres du Petit Nicholas.

Goals Prior to Arriving in Paris
1) Super Challenge - Meet Monthly Goal
2) Complete Language Exchange Sessions with regular partners
3) Complete Pimsleur III
4) Work on Informal French & French Idioms
5) Maintain SRS Flashcard Deluxe + start Cooking Terms Flashcard set

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 84 of 163
04 September 2014 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
In six days, we arrive in Paris, and then onto Belgium for a month. I am so very excited to put my French to
use! I've gotten into a better routine with my French studies (although not quite to my previous study levels),
and I know for now, I am doing the best that I can. Some highlights:

Super Challenge
Les Récres du Petit Nicholas I completes this book, and just adore this series. While I am in Europe, I
am going to try to purchase the remaining books that I don't have in this series.

Harry Potter à l'Ecole des Sorciers I am really pleased with my reading comprehension level!
Generally, I am only looking up 1-2 words a page. Still 1-2 words a page on a 300+ page book is a lot of
vocabulary.   I am a little disappointed in my reading speed. Hopefully that will increase as I read more

Blake et Mortimer Thanks to Luke for mentioning this series was available on YouTube. I needed
something a little more light-hearted these days, and this fit the bill. This is the first series I have watched
without subtitles, and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to (mostly) follow the series and enjoy it :) --
not perfectly of course, there are still some sentences I missed (talking fast, unknown vocabulary) , but it
didn't overly detract, and I still knew what was going on!

Language Exchanges I have completed 4 language exchanges since the last update. Very interesting
for me is that I had more trouble understanding my longtime Quebecois partner after a break in language
exchanges than I did my French partner. Usually this is opposite.

Grammar/Verbs I worked through some grammar exercises/tests with y and en. I have no trouble
reading and hearing it correctly, but I only use them comfortably in very basic formulations when speaking. I
also worked through some verb exercises with the present subjunctive and simple past (literary).
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5282 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 85 of 163
06 September 2014 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
In six days, we arrive in Paris, and then onto Belgium for a month. I am so very excited
to put my French to
use! I've gotten into a better routine with my French studies (although not quite to my previous study levels),
and I know for now, I am doing the best that I can. Some highlights:

Super Challenge
Les Récres du Petit Nicholas I completes this book, and just adore this series. While I am in Europe, I
am going to try to purchase the remaining books that I don't have in this series.

Harry Potter à l'Ecole des Sorciers I am really pleased with my reading comprehension level!
Generally, I am only looking up 1-2 words a page. Still 1-2 words a page on a 300+ page book is a lot of
vocabulary.   I am a little disappointed in my reading speed. Hopefully that will increase as I read more

Blake et Mortimer Thanks to Luke for mentioning this series was available on YouTube. I needed
something a little more light-hearted these days, and this fit the bill. This is the first series I have watched
without subtitles, and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to (mostly) follow the series and enjoy it :) --
not perfectly of course, there are still some sentences I missed (talking fast, unknown vocabulary) , but it
didn't overly detract, and I still knew what was going on!

Language Exchanges I have completed 4 language exchanges since the last update. Very interesting
for me is that I had more trouble understanding my longtime Quebecois partner after a break in language
exchanges than I did my French partner. Usually this is opposite.

Grammar/Verbs I worked through some grammar exercises/tests with y and en. I have no trouble
reading and hearing it correctly, but I only use them comfortably in very basic formulations when speaking. I
also worked through some verb exercises with the present subjunctive and simple past (literary).

Hi Mohave,

I hope you have an awesome trip to Paris/Belgium!!

If you're only looking up 1-2 words a page in Harry Potter I'm pretty impressed. I'm not so sure I'd be the
same (i'd hazard a guess I'd be looking up more than that), so great work! As for your reading speed you're
not alone... I've always been a slow reader even in English, so I know how you feel, since i'm obviously even
slower in French.

You sent the benchmark for language exchanges. I'm once again not that keen on them after an
announcement of aiming for one a week, i've dropped off again. You set the bar, I should be aiming for this
again, so keep up your exchanges! I don't do nearly enough of them. I notice my speaking ability could be
better at times and it's clear to me why- I don't practise enough- so keep them up, they're doing wonders I'm
sure!

Again Bon voyage Mohave !

PS Which part of Belgium are you visiting?

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 86 of 163
06 September 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Hi Mohave,

I hope you have an awesome trip to Paris/Belgium!!

If you're only looking up 1-2 words a page in Harry Potter I'm pretty impressed. I'm not so sure I'd be the
same (i'd hazard a guess I'd be looking up more than that), so great work! As for your reading speed you're
not alone... I've always been a slow reader even in English, so I know how you feel, since i'm obviously even
slower in French.

You sent the benchmark for language exchanges. I'm once again not that keen on them after an
announcement of aiming for one a week, i've dropped off again. You set the bar, I should be aiming for this
again, so keep up your exchanges! I don't do nearly enough of them. I notice my speaking ability could be
better at times and it's clear to me why- I don't practise enough- so keep them up, they're doing wonders I'm
sure!

Again Bon voyage Mohave !

PS Which part of Belgium are you visiting?

Hey PeterMollenburg - Thanks as always for stopping by, and thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to get to
Paris for a few days, but I am really excited to get to Bruxelles for a month! I'm hoping to get in some great
practice, make some friends, improve my French, and get a whole library full of native materials to take home
with me. I have studied French three different times in my life, but this is the first time I have gone to Paris! I
expect that folks will probably change to English on me, but I hope it is minimal, and I hope that by the end of
the month in Bruxelles, my words will come much easier after all the practice!

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 87 of 163
13 September 2014 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
I just completed my three days in Paris. I head to Amsterdam for three days before heading to Bruxelles for a
month. I thought now would be a good time to document where I believe my French skills are in terms of what
I can and can't do (using an assessment tool provided by emk several months ago). I plan to update this
assessment after a month in Bruxelles.

Listening
- I could understand all French-language announcements inside the train station in London. When on the
train, I found it easier to comprehend announcements in French than the heavily-accented English.
- I watched French TV (no subtitles of any type) when in the hotel room. I still find French TV, particularly
native dramas and sit-coms, to be to difficult (too fast, too slangy, etc). With the pictures, I can follow a story
and the main points. However, I had better understanding with a dubbed version of "Psych" and a French
reality show. In both cases, my comprehension was higher, not perfect, but pleasantly surprising after three
days. I can listen to documentaries, weather forecasts, and the news fairly easily.
- I was able to "listen in" on many conversations while walking around, riding the metro, etc. I understood
older people much easier. I rarely understood young people. I had a harder time following folks in noisy
environments.
- I had no problems requesting and receiving directions in French
- On the tour buses, I was able to follow the tour using the French language selection. However, I get a big
fail on understanding dates. Also, I found myself needing to concentrate harder listening to the French
version than when I listened to the English version. However, after my experience, I would consider taking a
tour completely in French while in Belgium.
- My analysis: B1. I need to work on understanding slang, more vocabulary acquisition, fast speech etc.

Speaking
- I knew going in my speaking was not going to be where I wanted it to be as I had not been practicing with
Pimsleur and language exchanges to the extent that I normally do because of on-going issues.
- I was able to converse, including small talk with the French
- I was able to conduct all transactions in stores without problems
- I was able to conduct all travelling business conversations in French
- I was changed on to English several times. I found that this happened more the first day when my
confidence was lower, and/or my husband, who does not speak French, started asking questions in English.
- I have lost some of the fluidity and automaticity I had built up, and noted some areas to improve my accent.
I felt most comfortable speaking in simple sentences
- I was able to argue in French on a transaction.
My analysis: A2. Not surprising, my weakest skill. I need to complete Pimsleur III, schedule some language
exchanges, and speak, speak, speak!

Reading
- I felt like I had very little problems reading French in and around Paris. I felt like all my Super Challenge
reading really paid off in this area. A few vocabulary words here and there, but I felt highly comfortable being
able to read anything I encountered.
- I read a multi-language brochure. After reading the material, I decided I should go read it in French as well.
I then realized I had just read it in French (and not English as I thought I had). First time this happened! :)
- My analysis: B?

Writing
- I wrote one email in French. I really didn't get a chance to evaluate this skill sets during my three days.

Synopsis: overall, I was happy with my initial thre-day test run in Paris. I am hopeful that with a month
immersed in French in Belgium, and focused study, that I can move some of my skill sets up a level.

Edited by Mohave on 13 September 2014 at 1:05am

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5282 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 88 of 163
13 September 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Hi Mohave,

Thanks for sharing. I found it particularly interesting. I read it to my wife as she's also begun to learn French
now too. We both were aiming to perhaps return to the Netherlands at some point, but plans change so we
are both focused on French. Although she is somewhat less passionate than myself, but still interested. So
your experience feels relevant to us. We travelled quite a bit through France and Belgium in 2011 so can
draw from our experiences too.

Sounds like you're doing quite well, and exactly myself speaking is the main issue. I really liked the fact you
didn't realise you'd already read the French version of a multi-lingual brochure when you went back to read it
again.

I love Amsterdam! Hope you enjoy that little Dutch cultural interlude during your French language voyage!
And good luck in Brussels! Hope you're enjoying yourselves!

PM

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version