fortheo
United States
Joined 4842 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 129 of 163
11 January 2015 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
Thanks Tristano for stopping by! I've seen your posts on the forum, but really never followed your progress.   
I'm looking forward to being on the same team as you this year and following your progress!
----------------------
Thanks Jeffers! I'm looking forward to being on the same team as you and to a prosperous year of French for
both of us!

On FWT.... Before becoming a member of HTAL, I read several posts of members here who noted they
thought Assimil French Without Toil was a stronger program than Assimil New French With Ease. I thought at
the time that since FWT was published in 1940, that it was in the public domaine, and I downloaded the PDF
and mp3s. I found out midway through the course in a post on HTLAL that Assimil was claiming they still had
copyright. Therefore, I purchased the book reasonably on eBay.

Not having done NFWE I can't comment on it, but I can tell you I LOVED FWT - it's a charming course!
Having said that, if I were to
do it again, I probably would complete NFWE first and then go through FWT. Here's some thoughts on FWT:
-- FWT has 140 Lessons (vs ~113 lessons in NFWE)
-- FWT is known for a steep learning curve, which the last ~30 lessons I found difficult, and thought about
stopping the course. In fact, I think the end of FWT is on par with the ending difficulty in Using French
-- Great focus on learning verb tenses
-- Passé Simple used extensively - this is the primary reason why I think beginners should do NFWE first to
learn passé composé and imparfait, however, I had no problems reading literature after FWT
-- One or two lessons has humor that is not politically correct
-- Every seventh lesson has a song -- which was a great way to learn French culture
-- I think that NFWE probably contains more recent idioms, slang and more "current" French that I probably
missed out on.

I've thought about going back and doing NFWE, but at this point, it's not on my plate. I completed the first
run-through of Using French, and I plan to incorporate a second quick run-through. I will probably do the last
half of FWT again. Also, I tried to order Assimil Business French from Language Quest and found out it was
discontinued. Sadly, prices on Amazon and eBay are now outrageous! However, this morning, I did find and
order a reasonably priced copy so I'll put that on the schedule this year.

Thanks for this informative post! I'm on like lesson 60 of NFWE but I have a copy of FWT and It's starting to call my name. I have question though, does FWT follow one continuous story line? Part of the reason I'm becoming tired of NFWE is because a lot of the lessons feel so disconnected. I plan on finishing NFWE, but I might do FWT just for the fun of it. Any help is appreciated and good luck on your french studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 130 of 163
12 January 2015 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
Many thanks for all the awesome comments left on my log!!

@Suzie – Thanks for your kind comments! Reading has always been a favorite pastime, and I really enjoyed
my college French literature class way back, so I have really enjoyed the Super Challenge. I’ve been
following your progress, and you seem to be doing super! We really enjoyed our time in Belgium, and I hope
to return one day. My favorite voyage outside of Brussels was Brugge – what a beautiful city! On Pêle-Mêle,
I went to the one on Ch. De Waterloo. I'm jealous that you get to live there!

@Jeffers, @ PM, @Light, @Redflag, @s.mann @fortheo – On FWT, I hope that if you decide to complete the
course, you enjoy it as much as I have. It is probably my favorite French course so far. Some answers to the
specific questions: 1) Passé simple starts around Leçon 52. 2) On using FWT as a progressive reader –
sure, but I would also use the audio. Think of it as a narrated book. The audio is well done, perhaps a little
theatrical, but I found that actually helped me with pronunciation, listening, etc. Plus, if you don’t do the
listening part, you’ll miss all the charming singing!   3) FWT has a main story that weaves through the lessons
– which I really enjoyed. There are lessons that are stand-alone. Lastly, one point, which I forgot to put in my
post, but I will update the post. Please note that after the first lessons, grammar explanations are done in
French. This was a little difficult initially, but fine in the end.

@plumben! I also enjoyed the first four HPs in French (after having read the series in English). I can see
why so many are positive on using the series for language learning. I read L’Étranger a few months ago, but
did not do the audiobook at that time. I need to go back and add that to my phone. I would be very
interested in starting Les Miserables as the same time as you. Maybe others will want to join in?   I am
looking to do this sometime in the Spring/Summer, but am flexible. Let me know when you are ready!

@luke – I love following your log. You are so dedicated and always share such great resources!

Edited by Mohave on 12 January 2015 at 2:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 131 of 163
12 January 2015 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
My studies slowed during the holidays, but I did do something in French everyday. I'm hopeful that now that
we are back home, that my studies will get back in more of a normal routine.

Double Super Challenge

Reading: Jan EOM Goal: 90 Current: 80
Currently Reading:
L’Appel de l’Ange par Guillaume Musso.   Musso is one of the top-selling contemporary French
authors, and this book has strong ratings on amazon.fr. It also has been a great source of informal
vocabulary. Here’s some examples:
- Être accro á quelque chose: to be hooked on something or to be really into something
- Tout ça, c’est de la foutaise!   That’s just a load of rubbish
- Hurluberlu: Crank or weirdo
- Boui-boui: Greasy spoon restaurant
- Coquine: naughty girl, hussy

Pierre et Jean par Guy de Maupassant I am only a few pages into this book, but I like the writing style.
However, it will probably wait until I finish the Musso book.

Completed:
Le Petit Nicolas; C’est Noel ! A fun, quick holiday read!

Le Petit Prince par Saint-Exupéry 1943 . I loved it in French. A perfect holiday read!

Le Passe-Muraille – Marcel Aymé 1943. I loved this short-story, the style of the writing, and I definitely
plan to read more by this author in the upcoming year.

Watching: Jan EOM Goal: 90 Current: 84
Buffy Contre Les Vampires S1 – E1-4 What can I say? One of my goals this year is to be able to watch
most TV and films without subtitles, so I am working through the transcripts with the series.

Un Gars/Une Fille – A favorite! Enjoy a clip here :
Un Gars, Une Fille

Le Petit Nicolas Movie - Fun as always

Pimsleur IV – I like this the best of the Pimsleur volumes so far. Completed Through Leçon 10.

Exercises Grammaire en context Intermédiaire – completed chapter 1.

Music Challenge I played with some Latin Classics last week, but back to French this week with Carla
Bruni. Here’s a link for paroles/lyrics to songs:
Carla Bruni

Edited: To Add Le Petit Prince in completed works

Edited by Mohave on 19 January 2015 at 10:25pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4715 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 132 of 163
12 January 2015 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
Le Petit Nicolas; C’est Noel ! A fun, quick holiday read!

I had the same idea and read this for Christmas. I was a bit disappointed that only two of the stories were about Christmas, but it was a good read overall. And really easy compared to the other book I put aside while reading it!

Mohave wrote:
L’Appelle de l’Ange par Guillaume Musso.   Musso is one of the top-selling contemporary French authors, and this book has strong ratings on amazon.fr. It also has been a great source of informal vocabulary. Here’s some examples:
- Être accro á quelque chose: to be hooked on something or to be really into something
- Tout ça, c’est de la foutaise!   That’s just a load of rubbish
- Hurluberlu: Crank or weirdo
- Boui-boui: Greasy spoon restaurant
- Coquine: naughty girl, hussy

I'll have to keep an eye out for Musso when I'm next looking for a book to read (probably in a month or two). Thanks!

redflag
Australia
Joined 3648 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 133 of 163
12 January 2015 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Hm. "hurluberlu" might be my new favourite word.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4842 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 134 of 163
15 January 2015 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
Hm. "hurluberlu" might be my new favourite word.

Haha it does have a certain flow to it.

Looks like you're making some good progress on your challenge Mohave!

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 135 of 163
19 January 2015 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeffers, redflag, and forteo for the comments.
--------------------------------------
I've been having so much fun with my French lately, I feel like I have been goofing off.....yet I somewhat miss
the days of being a beginner and seeing rapid progress, and long for the days when this truly becomes
second-natured

Reading:
L’Appel de l’Ange par Guillaume Musso   I just completed the book - reading about ~400 pages since
my last update. Full review to come soon, but here's some more great vocabulary.

être dans les vapes
 a. [évanoui] to be out for the count
 b. [rêveur] to be miles away
cul sec! (familier): bottoms up!
c'est du pipeau (figuré): it's all fibs
sortir de sa torpeur: to shake oneself up, to rouse oneself
veinarde: lucky devil ou so-and-so; sacré veinard, va!  = you lucky devil!
hululement: Hooting

Watching
Buffy Contre Les Vampires S1 – E5-8 One of my goals this year is to be able to watch most TV and
films without subtitles, so I am working through the transcripts with the series.

Le Petit Prince: Musical Spectacle This has been one of my favorite things to watch, and was
brilliantly done! Thanks to Luke for the recommendation!

Pimsleur IV – Completed Through Leçon 15. Recent lessons have focused on subjunctive, and I've
done each lesson twice to drill in the grammar into my speech patterns

Exercises Grammaire en context Intermédiaire – nearly completed chapter 2. Ordered Answer Key to
make sure I'm not drilling wrong solutions.

Using French 2x through the book. Lessons 1-10. Did a quick listening run through.

Music Challenge Carla Bruni's album "Little French Songs" was my pick for last week. This week I am
going to focus on Robert Charlesbois' album "Quebec Love". "Ordinaire" was the first song my Quebecoise
language partner shared with me, and is still a favorite today.   
Ordinaire Paroles & Lyrics
YouTube Video

edit: I also completed two language exchanges.

Edited by Mohave on 20 January 2015 at 2:28am

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 136 of 163
11 February 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Sorry I haven't posted for a while. We recently lost my father-in-law. It has been a difficult time, and although
I have done something French daily, I have been out of my normal study routines for two weeks now. This will
continue until we are able to return home. This has also changed the amount of time and what I have been
able to study for the Six Week Challenge. I'm also now slightly behind on my goals for the Super Challenge,
but not enough to worry about. I'll try to get caught up with everyone's logs over the next few days.
----------------------------
Finished Reading:
Le tour du Monde en 80 Days -Jules Verne 1871 . Phileas Fogg and his newly employed French valet
Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a £20,000 wager (roughly £1.6 million today)
set by his friends at the Reform Club in London. It is one of Verne's most loved works, and is a fairly straight-
forward read at the intermediate level.

Currently Reading:
L'Homme Aux Circles Bleus - Fred Vargas   Part of my goals for 2015 is to read some great French
classics, but also read contemporary French works as well. Fred Vargas is one of the top-selling French
Authors, and I decided to start with the first Chief Adamsburg novel. I'm only a few pages in.

Watching
Engrenages Saison 5 E1-7 What can I say, I love this series! My comprehension is improving, but I
still have trouble with the fast, slang-talking "flic" speech.

Pimsleur IV – Completed Through Leçon 18. Although this was a top priority for this Six Week
Challenge, this has been on the back-burner. I have not found the "privacy" and time to work on this recently.
I still hope to get this finished prior to the end of this Six Week Challenge.

Exercises Grammaire en Context Intermédiaire - Completing this book is a goal for the Six Week
Challenge, but I am only on Chapter 4 of 15 -- again behind goal. Doing grammar drills is also one of my
least favorite things. And while I have not noticed any wholesale grammar issues, I need to clean-up the
small things.

Flashcards not originally on the goals for This Six Week Challenge, but Flashcards was something I
could easily due sitting in the hospital/hospice. I decided to make it a goal of doing Flashcards daily for this
challenge and seeing if this really makes a difference. I had a huge backlog to clear out which took me a
while, and am now trying to add in New/Pending cards daily.

Podcasts I don't often write about the podcasts in my log that I listen to routinely, but they've been a
larger part (percentage wise) than normal of keeping my French up. Going to bed a little "early" allows me to
listen and get a little more French in each day. Of course, since my in-laws don't have wifi, I have to
remember to download them when I have access!

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version