United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 89 of 163
27 September 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg - Thanks as always for your notes of encouragement! They are much appreciated!

Film Days are here in Bruxelles for four days which means one can see films for 4€ (rather than 10€50/film).
I have taken advantage of this and seen a French language film in the theater for the last three days -- and as
a bonus, got to count it all for the Super Challenge. This is the first time I have attempted to see French films
in a theater.

Les Vacanes du Petit Nicolas. I had read this book for the Super Challenge, and was very excited to
see the film version. Although the movie didn't follow the book, I did find myself chuckling during the movie
just as I did in the book. My comprehension was high; I seemed to laugh at the same time the Francophone
community did. I missed a few sentences for vocabulary/fast speech, but overall, I think this would be a very
accessible movie to language learners.

Bande Annonce:
Bande Annonce: http://youtu.be/P0Ip4oRS4q0

Gemma Bovary. Based off a 1999 BD of the same name, this was another delightful film.   I read a
synopsis of the movie before going to make sure I had an outline of the plot and to help my comprehension
level in the film. My comprehension wasn't quite as high as with the Le Petit Nicolas movie, and there was a
few times when the Francophone community laughed that I didn't. I guess some of the play on words, etc will
take me longer to get, however I was still able to follow the movie and enjoyed it.

Bande Annonce:
Bande Annonce: http://youtu.be/gJoAVPevyX8

Saint Laurent. I selected this movie to see because it is France's nomination to the Oscar's Best
Foreign Film Category. This was my least favorite of the three, but mainly because my comprehension was
the weakest. An "artsy" movie with specialized vocabulary (fashion industry, etc), I know that I will have to do
a better job in selecting movies. I got most of the major points (I think).

Bande Annonce:
Bande Annonce: http://youtu.be/BFXckxA1RtU

Super Challenge Statistics as of Sep 26:
Books: 1,690 pages or 33.8 Books. I signed up for a double challenge, so I am behind ~800 pages. I
am hoping that as I go forward in the challenge reading speed will get me back on track. At a minimum, I
should finish a regular Super Challenge (5,000 pages).   I am currently reading Harry Potter et le Chambre
des Secrets with good comprehension.

Watching: 3,258 minutes or 36 films. With a double challenge, I am behind ~14 films. I expect to be
back on track before leaving Belgium with the wonderful access to films/TV series here.

Edited by Mohave on 27 September 2014 at 4:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 90 of 163
01 October 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Summary

I had put aside all lesson material, other than Super Challenge, for a few months due to on-going family
medical issues. Being in Belgium, I have been able to better deal with the emotions of the situations, and re-
start my lesson material.

Using French - thru Leçon 40 passive

Pimsleur III - thru Leçon 15

French in Action -   thru Leçon 35

Language Exchanges - 3 Skype sessions in September.   I had hoped to speak a lot more in Belgium
than what I have. I speak French daily, but it is generally just interactions at the market, etc, not the type of
conversations that I really need to improve my level. I have a found a meet-up group that I hope to attend
later this week.

Currently Reading - I finished Harry Potter et la Chambre des secrets, and I started Harry Potte et le
Prisonnier d'Azkaban.   The Harry Potter series seems to be a really good fit for my reading level. My
comprehension is good, and my reading speed is increasing.

Currently Watching - Un Village Français. Netflix started streaming in Belgium recently, and to my
surprise, five seasons of Un Village Français is included. I did a marathon watching session yesterday of
season 1, and plan to finish all five seasons prior to leaving for home in two weeks. I have been pleased with
my listening comprehension improvement.

Used Bookstores - I have been to five different bookstores in Bruxelles - mainly used, trying to find
books and DVDs to take home. Today, I finally found a really good used book/DVD store: Pêle-Mêle. Sadly, I
only had about 1/2 hour before I had to catch up with my husband, but I did manage to find many
books/DVDs on my list! Will definitely have to go back when I can spend a little more time. My haul included
a few Fred Vargas books (I like policiers), the DVD Le Diner de Cons, Les Jeux Sont Fait (Sartre), and
Histoires inédites du Petit Nicholas (Goscinny & Sempé)

Daily Podcasts (not counted in Super Challenge numbers). I need to find some others to add to my list!
RFI Francais Facile
One thing in a French Day
Français Authentique
C'est la Vie Word of the Week

Edited by Mohave on 01 October 2014 at 2:55pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4699 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 91 of 163
01 October 2014 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
I just found your log (since you posted on PeterMollenburg's log), and I'll be following it. The best discovery is that there's a 2nd Petit Nicolas film! I haven't actually seen the first one yet, but I've read a few of the books several times each. In fact, I'm currently reading Les vacances du Petit Nicolas for the 2nd time this super challenge.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 92 of 163
04 October 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I just found your log (since you posted on PeterMollenburg's log), and I'll be following it.
The best discovery is that there's a 2nd Petit Nicolas film! I haven't actually seen the first one yet, but I've
read a few of the books several times each. In fact, I'm currently reading Les vacances du Petit Nicolas for
the 2nd time this super challenge.

Jeffers - Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note! I'll be following your log also.   We have similar
taste in that I also really enjoy the Le Petit Nicolas series. I have read four of the books and listened to the
first audiobook for the Super Challenge. I have been searching for a few more of the books to complete my
library while visiting in Belgium However, to my surprise, I found Histoires Inédites du Petit Nicolas in a used
bookshop which has 80 more stories in 10 chapters. I felt like I hit the jackpot!! :).   Now to find the DVD for
the first movie!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4699 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 93 of 163
04 October 2014 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Histoires Inédites du Petit Nicolas was a great find, congratulations! I have five Nicolas books on kindle: Le Petit Nicolas, Les vacances du Petit Nicolas, Les bêtises du Petit Nicolas, Le Petit Nicolas s'amuse and Le Petit Nicolas et ses voisins. Only a couple of the original books are available on kindle, the rest are from Histoires Inédites du Petit Nicolas, which they broke up into smaller books. Two things I think make for effective learning from reading: reading series and re-reading books. Le Petit Nicolas is great for both.

papillon
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5469 days ago

29 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, Vietnamese*

Message 94 of 163
05 October 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Pimsleur French IV book can be downloaded from audible.com
http://download.audible.com/product_related_docs/BK_SANS_006 475.pdf

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 95 of 163
06 October 2014 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
papillon wrote:
Pimsleur French IV book can be downloaded from audible.com
http://download.audible.com/product_related_docs/BK_SANS_006 475.pdf

Papillion - Thanks for the share as I hope to start Pimsleur IV in the near future. This will be perfect to have,
and I had not located a transcript yet. I couldn't get the link to work, but probably a geo-location issue with me
out of the country now. I will try again as soon as I am back in the US.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 96 of 163
06 October 2014 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Super Challenge Update

With 25% of the Super Challenge elapsed (5 of 20 months), I thought this would be a good time to document
my experiences to date. I signed up for a double challenge, meaning I need to watch 200 ninety minute films,
and read 200 fifty page books. As of October 5, 2014, I:

- Watched/listened to 47.3 films/audiobooks (4,259 minutes). approximately 3 films short

- Read 37.7 books, or 1885 pages, or approximately 800 pages short.

Observations:
I have noted marked improvements in both reading and listening since starting the Super Challenge
May 1. For me French listening comprehension has been like peeling an onion.   Each layer that I uncover
adds new depth to my comprehension and understanding of the language from the last one. But, whereas I
used to be thrilled that I understood the main points, etc of a movie, etc, I now find that is no longer "good
enough". I've peeled another layer or two of that onion, and I have a better layer of understanding, but now it
is more clear to me that I am missing the smaller details, and I want to understand all those small details now.   
I don't know if I explained this right, but I am thrilled at how much improvement in my listening skills I have
made in the last five months, but I now understand better I have shortfalls. Also, during the month of
September, I watched three French films in the theater, a first for me.

On the reading front, I have developed a comfort in reading French. After completing nine novels or
nearly 1,900 pages, I find my comprehension level improving, and I am finally starting to see an improvement
in speed. It used to be painfully slow for me to finish a book.

Another interesting note: if you look back through my log, I did nearly no consistent course work
(Assimil, Pimsleur FIA) for most of July, August, and September due to family issues.   All I did was try to
keep up as best as I could with Super Challenge activities. And yet, I feel like my skills have increased during
this time (except for my speaking). In fact, I took two different on-line Profiency Tests in the May/June
timeframe, and I tested as A2/B1. In yesterday's results, I tested B2 on both exams. I believe the B2 is
overstated as often these online placement tests are. My self-assessment last month detailed in my log was
B1 on passive skills. But either way, I have seen a jump in skills, and really the only consistent thing I have
done in the last few months is the Super Challenge.

On-line proficiency tests I used were:
- Transparent: http://www.transparent.com/language-resources/tests.html
- France-Lange: http://www.france-langue.com/online-french-test.html
- About.French.com. http://french.about.com/library/weekly/bl-proficiency1.htm

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version