821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 49 of 163
04 April 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
For March's Update:

So if anyone else is
reading my log, don't give up when you hit a speed bump! Just around the corner, you'll
see the rewards!

Lessons Completed

Using French: Completed lessons 1 - 16
Pimsleur I: Completed lessons 1 - 27
French In Action: Completed thru Lesson 29
Living Language: Beyond the Basics completed thru Lesson 5 (Interlibrary Loan returned)
Language Exchange Skype/ Meet-ups: 24 + 2

Reading: In prep for the super-challenge, I completed Harry Potter à l'ecole du
sorciers -- my first complete
book in French since college -- more than 25 years ago!

Hey Mohave,

Although I've had some results of late I seemed to have slumped a little. So
encouraging words are worth a lot! Glad to hear you've come a long way in one month! On
that note I'm going to use your very post as a spring board to endeavour to do
EVERYTHING I can to make April my best month ever. I've got to get back on track and
feel like i'm making better progress like yourself.

You've really progressed significantly in your coursework, well done! I'll try my best
to catch you! ;)

As for Harry Potter, I know this is starting to ressemble a broken-record, but again,
well done! I wonder if I have the junior folio Harry Potter version's too now. I think
that's what I have in print, but I also have iBook versions and CDs so i'm kinda
wondering now what i actually do have.... doesn't matter really, as long as we keep on
track! I'll think of you when the day comes and I manage to read one right through.
Excellent work Mohave, truly. Keep it up. Make April a great month too!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 50 of 163
08 April 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Mohave wrote:
For March's Update:

So if anyone else is
reading my log, don't give up when you hit a speed bump! Just around the corner, you'll
see the rewards!

Lessons Completed

Using French: Completed lessons 1 - 16
Pimsleur I: Completed lessons 1 - 27
French In Action: Completed thru Lesson 29
Living Language: Beyond the Basics completed thru Lesson 5 (Interlibrary Loan returned)
Language Exchange Skype/ Meet-ups: 24 + 2

Reading: In prep for the super-challenge, I completed Harry Potter à l'ecole du
sorciers -- my first complete
book in French since college -- more than 25 years ago!

Hey Mohave,

Although I've had some results of late I seemed to have slumped a little. So
encouraging words are worth a lot! Glad to hear you've come a long way in one month! On
that note I'm going to use your very post as a spring board to endeavour to do
EVERYTHING I can to make April my best month ever. I've got to get back on track and
feel like i'm making better progress like yourself.

You've really progressed significantly in your coursework, well done! I'll try my best
to catch you! ;)

As for Harry Potter, I know this is starting to ressemble a broken-record, but again,
well done! I wonder if I have the junior folio Harry Potter version's too now. I think
that's what I have in print, but I also have iBook versions and CDs so i'm kinda
wondering now what i actually do have.... doesn't matter really, as long as we keep on
track! I'll think of you when the day comes and I manage to read one right through.
Excellent work Mohave, truly. Keep it up. Make April a great month too!

PeterMollenburg,
Thank you so much for your kind words! It's funny, because you inspire me! I would love to be able to pass a
B1 exam - particularly with your marks! I think I just have too many holes in my vocabulary, and too many
grammar issues and verb conjugation issues to do what you have done! You are so close to passing a B2
exam and having basic fluency! Keep pushing, but remember to have fun along the way! :)

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 51 of 163
08 April 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I just completed my 7 day stay in Guadeloupe and wanted to update my log on my successes and my areas
to focus on. My largest success by far was I made my self understood! For the language learner who
realizes for the first-time they can have meaningful conversations with people they don't know and be
understood, this was a huge success for me! :)

Successes:
1) I was able to perform nearly all my necessary business tasks in French, ie renting a car, airport check-in,
hotel check-in, stores, restaurants, etc.

2) I was able to hold conversations entirely in French with random people about random subjects. Having
said that, it was clear that I was a language learner, and I made grammar, verb conjugation, and masc/fem
errors in just about every sentence! While I think I got very lucky, I was dependent upon the generosity of
people willing to speak to a language learner.

3) We were fortunate to be invited to two small cocktail parties hosted by the B&B owners. The first one
included 8 people, one of which only spoke French, one who spoke only English (my husband), 5 fluent or
native French speakers, and one speaker with similar abilities in French as me. What followed was a three-
hour conversation, largely in French, some in English. I had some some combination of the above speakers
each day at breakfast, and the second cocktail party (of nearly two hours). I mostly kept up, but what fun, and
what great experience!

Areas to improve:
1) My focus in learning has been in the formal French register. I must make learning the informal French
register (including some slang and vulgarity) a priority before my trip to Belgium this fall. I had nearly a
complete failure listening/comprehending speech at this level!
I also inadvertently became
embarrassed/red faced when everyone was laughing at some vulgar words used around the breakfast table
used as a name of a fruit that I did not understand until someone explained it to me. I plan to order one of the
many books from Amazon that teaches slang/vulgarity and start watching TV series. Also would
appreciate any podcast recommendations or other thoughts on how to approach this.

2) Confidence/Fatigue. Sometimes the conversations just rolled off my tongue, and other times, I fumbled
badly, and frankly, butchered the language. I seem to talk and understand the best when I have confidence
and don't question myself. When I did question myself/had a lack of confidence or was very fatigued late at
night, was when I was at my worst.

3) Vocabulary, Grammar, Verb Conjugations
I could really see where my holes in vocabulary were, and I really need to clean up grammaire and verb
conjugations. I tend to talk mainly in present, passé compose, near future and some future. Maybe a
conditional on a rare occasion, but never the subjunctive or Imparfait.

4) Also, while I can listen and read without much translation in my head, for my speech, I often translate from
English to French in my head before speaking, particularly on those subjects I am not familiar, and
particularly when I am fatigued. While I have improved my automaticity of response, I need a lot of work in
this area!
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5197 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 52 of 163
09 April 2014 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Good job! It's great that you had a good time!

For a guide to informal French, you should check out the guides at
IE Languages. And of course,
exposure plenty of native materials.

The translation issue should go away with practice. To help, you can use the "islands"
concept to come up with little monologues and various topics that you can use confidently
in a conversation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5338 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 163
09 April 2014 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
3) We were fortunate to be invited to two small cocktail parties hosted by the B&B owners. The first one
included 8 people, one of which only spoke French, one who spoke only English (my husband), 5 fluent or
native French speakers, and one speaker with similar abilities in French as me. What followed was a three-
hour conversation, largely in French, some in English. I had some some combination of the above speakers
each day at breakfast, and the second cocktail party (of nearly two hours). I mostly kept up, but what fun, and
what great experience!

Wow, congratulations on your trip! It sounds like you had an awesome time. I remember how great it felt to know that I could function independently in French, and hold long conversations, no matter how much I butchered things.

Mohave wrote:
1) My focus in learning has been in the formal French register. I must make learning the informal French
register (including some slang and vulgarity) a priority before my trip to Belgium this fall. I had nearly a
complete failure listening/comprehending speech at this level!
I also inadvertently became
embarrassed/red faced when everyone was laughing at some vulgar words used around the breakfast table
used as a name of a fruit that I did not understand until someone explained it to me. I plan to order one of the
many books from Amazon that teaches slang/vulgarity and start watching TV series. Also would
appreciate any podcast recommendations or other thoughts on how to approach this.

I've flipped through several books of French slang and vulgarity, and I have not been impressed. They seem to contain a lot of rare or dated slang, and they don't seem to have much overlap with the vocabulary I see used in actual French works, or which I hear used by actual French people.

Here's how I tackled this:

1. The most useful media for informal speech, slang and vulgarity are TV series, films and BDs. These consist almost entirely of dialog, with minimal narration. For a written example of informal French, the French dialog in Persepolis is almost perfect: Modern, casual, with a touch of French sarcasm. As I've mentioned in my log, my favorite source for dirt cheap BDs is Izneo, which geoffw told me about.

2. Online, my biggest sources for informal French were viedemerde.fr (neutral, conversational language), topito.com (mixed high and low registers) and girlsandgeeks.com (mixed high and low registers, extremely conversational style). But you could find thousands of others. The IMX French link emails are full of bouletcorp, or you could dig around the site for À boire et à manger and look for their occasional dialog-heavy comics. Or check out danstonchat. Etc.

Anyway, in the absence of regular access to French friends, native media is probably one of your better bets for the informal register. There are a few very good sites for students of French, like the one sctroyenne linked to, and Fluent French Now, but for sheer volume and entertainment value, pop culture is really handy.

Edited by emk on 09 April 2014 at 5:19am

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5282 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 54 of 163
10 April 2014 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:

PeterMollenburg,
Thank you so much for your kind words! It's funny, because you inspire me! I would
love to be able to pass a
B1 exam - particularly with your marks! I think I just have too many holes in my
vocabulary, and too many
grammar issues and verb conjugation issues to do what you have done! You are so close
to passing a B2
exam and having basic fluency! Keep pushing, but remember to have fun along the way!
:)

Thanks Mohave, I'm honoured to be inspiring someone out there :) And I will keep on
keeping on... Yesterday I had a rare day off, but i'm back at it today :) Keep up your
studies too! Your doing great :)

Mohave wrote:
I just completed my 7 day stay in Guadeloupe

I've been curious about Guadeloupe, Martinique and Guyane (French Guiana)... so please
tell me more about Guadeloupe. What's it like? I recently saw on the French news that
the crime
rate there is quite high. Are there unsafe areas or is it a bit of an exaggeration? Is
it laid back? Locals friendly? What's the scenery and standard of living like there?
[/QUOTE]

Mohave wrote:

I tend to talk mainly in present, passé compose, near future and some future. Maybe a
conditional on a rare occasion, but never the subjunctive or Imparfait.

This is pretty much what my speech is like also with regard to verb conjugations, so if
you want to compare against me recently passing a B1 as you mentioned it inspiring you,
you're actually doing pretty well :) It's great that you're recognizing your weak
points and aiming to improve them.

In regards to slang/everyday speech/naughty vocab whatever you want to call it. I
bought a couple of books last year called Street Wise French and it's companion. I
haven't used them, but they might be worth looking up on amazon. I'm sure emk's
recommendations are sound as he states they are as always and he may even in fact have
something to say about these books i have mentioned, but I think he's onto sth by
recommending pop culture

Keep plodding along! Consistent, consistent consistent (i know i'm drumming this into
my own head while making such statements, thus yet again this website simply helps me
by talking to others)

PM

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 10 April 2014 at 5:29am

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3813 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 

Message 55 of 163
11 April 2014 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:

For a guide to informal French, you should check out the guides at
IE Languages. And of course,
exposure plenty of native materials.

The translation issue should go away with practice. To help, you can use the "islands"
concept to come up with little monologues and various topics that you can use confidently
in a conversation.

emk wrote:

Here's how I tackled this:

1. The most useful media for informal speech, slang and vulgarity are TV series, films and BDs. These
consist almost entirely of dialog, with minimal narration. For a written example of informal French, the French
dialog in Persepolis is almost perfect: Modern, casual, with a touch of French sarcasm. As I've
mentioned in my log, my favorite source for dirt cheap BDs is Izneo,
which geoffw told me about.

2. Online, my biggest sources for informal French were viedemerde.fr
(neutral, conversational language), topito.com (mixed high and low
registers) and girlsandgeeks.com (mixed high and low registers,
extremely conversational style). But you could find thousands of others. The IMX French link emails are full of
bouletcorp, or you could dig around
the site for À boire et à manger and look for their occasional
dialog-heavy comics. Or check out danstonchat. Etc.

Anyway, in the absence of regular access to French friends, native media is probably one of your better bets
for the informal register. There are a few very good sites for students of French, like the one sctroyenne
linked to, and Fluent French Now, but for sheer volume and
entertainment value, pop culture is really handy.

emk and sctroyenne, as always, I appreciate your sage advice and sharing of websites and how to approach
this. I've perused many of the links provided, and these are exactly what I needed, and am going to
incorporate into my study routine, as well as focus on including this type of media in the SuperChallenge.
Thanks as always!!

PeterMollenburg wrote:

I've been curious about Guadeloupe, Martinique and Guyane (French Guiana)... so please
tell me more about Guadeloupe. What's it like? I recently saw on the French news that
the crime rate there is quite high. Are there unsafe areas or is it a bit of an exaggeration? Is
it laid back? Locals friendly? What's the scenery and standard of living like there?

I loved Guadeloupe, and would go back in a second! As I understand, Guadeloupe is to France as what
Hawaii is to the US. We read before arriving, as well as were warned by locals and long-time visitors to the
island, to not go into Point-à-Pitre (the capital) at night. We stayed in Le Moule and DesHaies and had
absolutely no problems whatever. The locals were very friendly, and were more than willing to chat with me
and/or help with directions, etc. The roads and infrastructure are among the best I've seen in the Caribbean.   
Guadeloupe has some nice beaches, but it definitely does not have the nicest beaches in the Caribbean. It is
well-known for its hiking, waterfalls, and tropical rain forests. It also has wonderful boulangeries! Overall, the
standard of living, for the Carribean, seems reasonably high. Many people from France retire here.   Thanks
for your many kind comments.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5197 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 56 of 163
11 April 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of BDs for learning, a great resource for Spanish is
Better/dp/007141519X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397243293&sr=8-
1&keywords=laugh+and+learn+spanish">Laugh 'n' Learn Spanish
(if that link is
broken I'll fix it later) which uses For Better or For Worse comic strips to teach
Spanish. Unfortunately this book was only ever done for Spanish even though it could
quite easily be adapted to other languages. The strip is actually a good choice since
being family-based there's a lot of good examples of everyday language.

I *think* there might be a pedagogical version of Tintin for French but I'm not sure.

@emk If you're ever wanting for professional projects that's something that could be
developed - pedagogical sets of BDs for language learning.

There are some challenges when learning how language is used from native, informal
materials which is part of developing your general language learning skills. One is
learning how to look up the meaning - you may have to develop a sense of what the key
word is in the expression to find it easily. Sometimes you may have trouble finding a
good definition so you have to rely on context and exposure to get a more refined
understanding. Also, it can be tough to recognize something that's being used
idiomatically - some clues are use of different prepositions, reflexive verbs, etc.
Another difficulty is register. It can be difficult to understand when something is or
is not appropriate. And especially as a foreigner, there are some things that just
won't sound right coming from your mouth that are otherwise fine for a native.

Also, I'm not too familiar with the French of the DOMS-TOMS but at the informal
language level, I'd expect to find some regionalisms.

Despite the challenges, this aspect of language learning is one of the most rewarding
ones. It's really fun making these little discoveries.

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version