107 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 13 14 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 33 of 107
31 December 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
And best newcomer at least, if nothing else. Also, given that not only the best members of the winning team get the silverware, I think from individuals it's better to have a top-3.
5 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4309 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 34 of 107
31 December 2013 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And best newcomer at least, if nothing else. Also, given that not only the best members of the
winning team get the silverware, I think from individuals it's better to have a top-3.

Sounds great to me
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 35 of 107
31 December 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I like tarvos' idea, but I can sympathise with Serpent's.

Since the idea is to award consistency, we could have a whole team, plus three individual winners, as Serpent says.

In order to ensure that the members of the winning team deserve the ribbon, their logs could be checked for big holes in participation. For instance, I wouldn't be eligible if I had not posted for, say, three months (or two, or four, I don't care), then made a couple of posts in November and December. This only takes a few minutes and adds relevance to the title.

I think it devaluates the ribbon if someone wins just because they joined a team with Serpent, Cristina, Chung or tarvos (to name but a few).
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 107
31 December 2013 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
My suggestions for categories for individual winners were just that. Suggestions. The idea was that for
example people like tarvos who has been extremely consistent and who during 2014 has mastered Russian
and Swedish could get some kind of recognition for that, regardless of the fate of Team MIR, or that Chung
who has an amazing log with so much fun and linguistic gold nuggets could get a prize for that. That is what
we have discussed earlier. However it would not have to be in the shape of a blue TAC winner ribbon. If
Fasulye feels strongly enough about this to threaten to leave the TAC 14 and never participate in any TAC
ever again, I am certainly not going to push the issue.

But like Fasulye I have felt the rush of being voted in as a winner, and I would somehow like to extend that
feeling to more people. Perhaps just a thread where people could nominate people for all sorts of fun
categories - without any voting? Keeping people motivated and making sure we all had fun was my reason
for suggesting this. People wanting to leave the TAC over such a suggestion? I certainly did not see that one
coming.
3 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5771 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 37 of 107
31 December 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
I would suggest:

One vote for best team
One vote for best individual - i.e. the best log of somebody who was not in a team, in recognition of the fact that not everybody had a team they could easily fit into
One vote for best overall log - anybody who made it to the end of the year is eligible on the strength of their own log, giving strong participants who ended up in a weak team the chance for recognition on the same footing as everybody else

I know there are plenty of people who have made exceptional and inspirational progress this year, and I can understand the sentiment to try and get as many of these recognised as possible. But I will say that at the end of the 2012 TAC, despite no chance of being declared a winner, I received a small number of kind messages from people who had followed my log without me being aware of it, and this kind of recognition, which had nothing to do with the vote, made me feel very warm indeed.
4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 38 of 107
31 December 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
How about a "TAC 2013 Highlights" thread where everyone can post about things that left an impression during this year's challenge? Whether that be team efforts, individual logs or some other aspect... That way more people can get recognised even without a ribbon and it might as well get us all to check out impressive achievements, interesting or funny logs we might have otherwise missed. The thread would certainly help with the voting process as well.

Where would one open such a thread? In the general discussion forum?

EDIT: Here it is: TAC 2013 Highlights

Edited by druckfehler on 31 December 2013 at 6:08pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 39 of 107
31 December 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
One vote for best individual - i.e. the best log of somebody who was not in a team, in recognition of the fact that not everybody had a team they could easily fit into
The most common reason is not wanting to make the commitment to follow and comment other people's logs, though. I think at least those who decide in the middle of the year to leave their team should have no special treatment. Much better if they just change status to observer (who, I repeat, is also considered a winner if he/she participated in the team thread and commented other people's logs).
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 40 of 107
31 December 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Here's our list of members in Clan Lugus at the end of 2013:

Buoyant buccaneers (7):

DaraghM (summary)
jeff_lindqvist (summary)
Josquin (summary)
Liammcg (summary)
Tarvos (summary)
Teango (summary)
Vermillon (summary)

Model mariners (2):

Iversen (uncle)
Khublei (godmother)

Skedaddling scallywags (6):

galaxyrocker
Gosiak
Maïwenn
mezzofanti
thusspakeblixa
Shemtov

Quick team summary: we started ashore as a small hopeful crew of three, set sail with a full complement of 15, and made it to the other side of this challenge with over half our crew still on board and in high spirits. I'm grateful to Brun Ugle for getting this year's TAC rolling, to Iversen and Khublei for being our honorary uncle and guiding godmother, and to everyone who dropped by our team blog and supported us in 2013. I'm also delighted that the adventure doesn't stop here, and we'll soon be sailing boldy into next year's challenge and building on everything we've started together in Team Celts. On behalf of our 2013 team, I'd like to wish everyone who participated in and supported the TAC every luck in their language goals for 2014, and a very happy new year!

Athbhliain faoi mhaise dhaoibh! (Irish)
Blein Vie Noa! (Manx)
Bliadhna Mhath Ùr dhuibh uile! (Scottish Gaelic)
Bloavezh mat! (Breton)
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda! (Welsh)
Blydhen Nowydh Da! (Cornish)

Edited by Teango on 04 January 2014 at 12:44am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version