United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 113 of 118
01 December 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Time to review the goals for November.

1. Each week I'm going to read at least 50 pages for the Super Challenge each week or
I'll do 3 hours of 新完全マスタ
ー N2 聴解, instead. This time I'll try really hard not to let anything else edge this
one out.
I managed this for most weeks but failed for one week.

2. I'll aim to reach chapter 20 of 新完全マスター N2 文法 by the end of November. That
should make it feasible to
reach the end of part 1 of the book by Christmas.
I made it as far as Chapter 25.

3. Anki: Vocabulary. I'll keep going and reintroduce the corePLUS deck once things
settle down a bit more.
I did keep going, although I don't think I'm ready to re-introduce
corePLUS just yet.

4. Anki: Kanji. I just need to keep this one up to date.
Done.

5. I'm going to shadow to the end of JPOD101 Lower Intermediate season 5.
Done.

6 Continue listening to dialogue tracks.
Done.

7. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.
Done. In fact I started to add some new kanji. Not many, just 10 more so
far.

8. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime for the Super Challenge each week.
Done.

Overall I did manage to meet most of the goals. The one that I failed on was reading: I
just ran out of time that week and didn't feel like pushing too hard over the weekend
to catch up. I will prioritise reading over watching in December though.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 114 of 118
02 December 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
These are going to be my goals for December.

I'm going to deliberately leave myself some slack in the schedule, not because I'm going to
study less but because I want a bit more flexibility in what I study. As long as I keep it
under control, RTK is brief enough that I can always fit it in during my lunch break.
Similarly, anki always gets done and doesn't take very long at the moment. The audio I listen
too always fills the commute or other times when I cannot do anything else, so I'll not try to
set time goals for that. Drama and anime I generally watch at the end of the day, usually when
it would be too tiring to tackle a book or grammar and so on.

Looking back at the previous few weeks, and discounting audio, video, anki and RTK, I can see
that I can comfortably fit in 10 30m slots during the week. (I'm deliberately ignoring time
during the weekend: I don't to tie myself down to anything specific for those two days,except
that's when I'll fit in some graded readers). I've also ignored Wednesday, since that's the day
of my tutorial, so my time is mostly taken up with either preparation beforehand or
consolidation afterwards.

So I have 10 1/2 hour slots to fill. I want to fit in grammar, some intensive reading and a bit
of shadowing. Shadowing takes about 30m each time, so I should be able to shadow two lessons
each week. The next section of 新完全マスター N2 文法 looks like it will take maybe 3 30m slots per
"chapter" (although this is just guess work at this stage). Finally I will try to do 30m of
intensive reading each day. That should account for all my 10 30m slots. I'll use the time at
the weekend for extensive reading of graded texts.

As this is December, I'm going to assume that Christmas will mean that I have 3 weeks of
studying, more or less, although I should be able to read for all four weeks.

Putting all that together I'm going to set these goals.

1. I'm going to read at least 200 pages for the Super Challenge. I think I need a faster pace
than that in order to complete the SC on time, but it's Christmas, so I'm going to go easy on
myself for this month. If I have spare time, reading will be the priority.

2. I'm going to intensively read 8 pages of イタリア幻想曲. If I manage to stretch that by a
further 2 pages I think that will get me to the end of the prologue.

3. I'll aim to reach chapter "D" of 新完全マスター N2 文法 by the end of the month. If it turns out
that I've over-estimated the difficulty, I'll revise this.

4. I'm going to shadow 6 lessons of JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 1. This is the one I'm
currently listening to during the commute. I've already shadowed the first lesson, to see how
long it took, so I'm aiming to have shadowed up to and including lesson 7 by the end ofthe
month.

5. Anki: Vocabulary and Kanji decks: I'll just keep these going.

6. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.

7. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.

8. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime for the Super Challenge each week.

If I have time during my lunch break, I'll try to read one or more articles from NHK News.

I've already decided with my tutor that part of each week's lesson will cover one passage from
the 新完全マスター N2 読解 book. There probably won't be time to do much with 日本語総まとめ this
month, as reading real books is my priority for now.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 115 of 118
05 December 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I've been working through 新完全マスター N2 文法 part I, chapter A.

I think I estimated that it would take me 1 to 1-1/2 hours to complete, including the
exercises. It actually took 2-1/2 hours (in multiple spells). Turns out that I have
some trouble deciding between に通じて and に通して.

Peeking ahead, it looks like the rest of part I is a recap of some of the earlier
grammar points, but gathered together using different categories. So I've decided to
work through this section including the exercises. This is making me sit down and recap
the grammar points more thoroughly than I have been doing up to now.

Reading is going well so far: 4 pages in 3h45. I've not (yet) become bored of working
through slowly and looking up everything. In fact I've had to tear myself away from the
reading to make sure the shadowing and grammar work don't get ignored!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 116 of 118
22 December 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
I've started to follow 進撃の巨人 (Attack on Titan) and I'm finding it surprisingly
acceptable fare. I'm using subtitles for this one, as I'm pretty sure I'd completely
fail to cope otherwise.

Reading-wise I'm now working through Japanese Short Stories. My plan was to get through
50 pages of "something" each week and then spend the rest of the time working through イタリア幻想曲. That was OK when "something" was a simple graded reader or AHIJ, but JSS
has proved to be more challenging. So the plan's the same but I'm pretty sure that I'm
not going to have much spare time for イタリア幻想曲. That's OK, after I finish JSS, I'll
run through it again but more intensively (or maybe more intensively for every other
story). I'll probably throw in a graded reader or two just so I don't forget that there
is some stuff I can actually read. I do have The Little Price somewhere too, so
I really should dig that out and give it a go.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 117 of 118
24 December 2014 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
It's nearly クリスマス so it must be time for the TAC year end review.

At the beginning of the TAC I set a few goals.

Quote:
- to be able to read Japanese novels if not comfortably then at least with a little
help from a dictionary.

I think that I can say that this goal has been met. I certainly cannot read a novel comfortably, but I can work my way
through it, depending on the novel of course, with the crutch of a dictionary. I certainly hope to improve on this in the
coming year!

Quote:
- to be able to handle basic conversations

This is pretty vague, but if "basic" means "really basic" then I might be OK.

Quote:
- to be able to follow the gist a newscast

Umm, no. I can follow the NHK newscasts a little on some occasions, but only if I've read the "script" beforehand
and even then I need the script in front of me. To be honest, very little of my listening has been using broadcast news, so
I'm not too surprised.

I aslo set some measurable goals.

Quote:
- To complete RTK3: that's another 1000 kanji or so.

No. I simply decided that I didn't need to do this (yet). Instead I added additional kanji as they cropped up.
That's roughly an extra 60 so far.

Quote:
- To transition from reading NHK EasyNews almost every day to reading NHK News (the one
for grown-ups) every day.

I've certainly made the transition. I don't read it every day, but I've definitely moved from EasyNHK News to
the full thing.

Quote:
- To learn the N2 vocabulary (as defined by the memrise N2 course), so that's another
~3000 words or so.
- To learn to recognise all the N5, N4 and N3 vocabulary as kanji.

I think I can safely claim to have met these goals.

Quote:
- To work through (and internalise) 日本語総まとめ and 完全マスター N3 grammar courses.

I've certainly been through these books multiple times and then dipped in again afterwards. I'm not sure how
much I have internalised but I'm pleased with my progress.

Quote:
- To sit (and hopefully pass) the JLPT N3.

Yes. Yay :-)

Quote:
- To continue working through the JPOD101 Lower Intermediate lessons and to move on to
and complete the Intermediate and Upper Intermediate lessons. That's about 275 to work
through in total.

I've been through all of these. I'm still working on shadowing the Upper Intermediate and Intermediate lessons,
but so far as this goal is concerned, it's done.

Quote:

- To watch 12 films (or 12 drama series).
- To read 12 books (or 12 manga or whatever I can get hold of).

Done. The watching has been done in spades, as documented in the SC bot. I don't actually have 12 books, so I
have to count re-reading a book, in which case this goal has been met easily too.

In summary, I'm very pleased with how Japanese has gone this year. I'd love to be fluent or even conversational or literate,
but that's clearly going to take some time, so instead I'm choosing to be happy with the measurable progress that I think
I've made. Of the two goals that I didn't meet, one I decided quite early on that I really didn't think it was a good use of
my time and the other one is simply going to need more focussed work.

I managed to pass JLPT N3, so at least one native speaker somewhere thinks I'm improving! N2 still looks like a daunting
mountain, but I'll keep chipping away at the reading and the listening comprehension and maybe see if I can find some way to
tunnel through!

I've enjoyed studying Japanese this year and I'm certainly looking forward to 2015.

メリー・クリスマス and 「よいお年を」を.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 118 of 118
01 January 2015 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
This is a review of my December goals.

1. I'm going to read at least 200 pages for the Super Challenge. I think I need a faster pace
than that in order to complete the SC on time, but it's Christmas, so I'm going to go easy on
myself for this month. If I have spare time, reading will be the priority.
Done.

2. I'm going to intensively read 8 pages of イタリア幻想曲. If I manage to stretch that by a
further 2 pages I think that will get me to the end of the prologue.
I managed 4 pages and then switched to intensively reading Japanese Short Stories.

3. I'll aim to reach chapter "D" of 新完全マスター N2 文法 by the end of the month. If it turns out
that I've over-estimated the difficulty, I'll revise this.
Done.

4. I'm going to shadow 6 lessons of JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 1. This is the one I'm
currently listening to during the commute. I've already shadowed the first lesson, to see how
long it took, so I'm aiming to have shadowed up to and including lesson 7 by the end ofthe
month.
Done.

5. Anki: Vocabulary and Kanji decks: I'll just keep these going.
Done.

6. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.
Done.

7. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.
Done.

Done.

Overall, I managed all my goals except for one, and the one I didn't fully complete I decided to change
part of the way through.

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version