soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 121 of 123
27 October 2014 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
I've been able to get a new routine going again (for German, at least)

DEUTSCH
So I'm currently settled into a routine using FSI and a new approach to finishing Assimil (for now, it may change).

FSI - So far I'm on unit 3. My general method is to go through the dialogue (usually the first tape), then read through the following drills and grammar notes, do the tapes for the drills, then do them again until I can fire out my responses with minimum thought. I just finished tape 3.3 (2nd review), which went well. At first I thought FSI would be a waste of time with my current level, but I'm actually finding it very helpful. This is the staple of my current routine. If all goes well, I should be done with all 24 units by February.

Assimil - The other day I decided to repeatedly shadow lesson 44 to internalize it so I can go back in a few days and easily translate it. I found that I was preempting all of the lines and eventually knew the entire lesson by heart (by accident). I was having some fun with it and just reciting it off the top of my head both at a natural pace and speaking as fast as I can while still articulating everything correctly. The next day I kept going over certain lines in my head and modifying them for different situations. For example:

(Original) Seit fast einem Monat hast du nichts von mir gehört.
(Variation1) Seit fast einem Jahr habe ich nichts von dir gehört.
(Variation2) Seit fast einer Woche hat er nichts von ihr gehört.
and so on...

I'm finding this really helpful and I feel like it's building up an arsenal of phrases (that I can modify) and it's helping me remember certain vocab in context. I also did this with lesson 45. It doesn't take long to memorize the lessons, since I've seen them all before. Usually about 10 mins of shadowing, reading and reciting. I don't plan on remembering all of the lessons, but a good handful should do me well.

I also found Slow News on DW (not Slow German), which is updated daily to keep current. I plan on listening to this frequently during work and downtime at school to keep me exposed to random native materials.
================================
FRANÇAIS
I haven't kept up with my Pimsleur in a couple of weeks. I will pick it up again soon. Maybe somewhere around the end of Level 1 I will start picking away at Assimil.
================================
2014 SUPER CHALLENGE
I'm going to bow out from updating my superchallenge info since my exposure to movies and reading is so random that I can't really keep track of it. I will still keep on top of exposing myself to native materials (I just watched Die Edukators last week), but I just won't update it here.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 27 October 2014 at 2:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 122 of 123
27 December 2014 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Been a while...

This was a very tough semester but I was still able to get some language stuff in here and there. In short, I completed up to Unit 5 of FSI German and did a bit of Duolingo French. I also started Assimil French.

MY ROUTINE DURING MY MONTH OFF:
I just got the new German Assimil today, which I was excited about. I went through the first 5 lessons, which were cake. I shouldn't have a problem going through this one, since I finished the other version of Assimil, but I'm looking forward to using it for solidify some of the more basic stuff while seeing the language used in new ways. I will do multiple lessons per day (or couple of days) until I find myself getting stuck. I will also continue to do FSI and hopefully get through Unit 10 before classes resume. My ultimate goal is to finish the new Assimil and FSI by mid Spring, purchase some of the Geothe prep materials and prepare for to sit the B2 exam at some point during the summer.

For French, I will continue with Assimil and Duolingo and maybe use some of my audio lessons while driving/walking.

I may be going to Switzerland in the Spring (there's been talk about it but we'll see what happens), so that is an extra motivator at this point.
============================================================ ==========
GOALS FOR MY BREAK (by January 20):
GERMAN:
Complete FSI Unit 10
Complete through lesson 50 of Assimil

FRENCH:
Complete through lesson 21 of Assimil
GERMAN
New Assimil - Completed through lesson 5 today, which was very easy. Will probably do another 4 or 5 tomorrow.

I plan to get back into regular materials, I'll watch some shows this weekend.
FRENCH
Assimil - Completed lesson 2 today. It was a bit tricky, mainly because I find pronunciation of the words just from reading to be difficult.

Duolingo - Strengthened some skills. I'm currently on "Food".

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 123 of 123
29 December 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
GERMAN
New Assimil - Finished up through lesson 12. So far I've pretty much been doing an active wave with there - just translating them from English-German and haven't had any problems.

FSI - Did Unit 6.1 today. I will do it again tomorrow before moving on.

Native Materials - I watched a 45min show on ZDF about England and I understood a good amount of the German (and learned a bit about England that I didn't know before!)
============================================================ =========
FRENCH
Assimil - Just completed lesson 4. Everything is going steady; I feel like I'm at just the right level for these lessons. My ability to pronounce from reading is getting better too, that was a problem for me before with French.

Duolingo - Did some skill strengthening

I'm planning on getting Pimsleur going again as well.
============================================================ =========
Everything has been going well and I have that language-learning fire back. It's too bad that I only have about 3 more weeks before I have to drastically downscale again, but I'm trying to make the most of the time while I have it.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 29 December 2014 at 2:05am

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version