Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 17 of 92
15 April 2014 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
With the book i can understand, but i don't care what format the audio is in as it all ends up on my mp3 player anyway. An electronic book can be printed out and in any case is much better than no book at all. Still, i'm glad to hear you found a place that still has it in stock, hopefully it won't set you back too far (moneywise). It seems like a great book, i really enjoyed the audio on that site, i'd love to find a similar Quechua course (especially since i love the sound of Quechua)!

Sadly enough, in my search for information on the book online, i found that the author of Hablemos náhuatl, José Concepción Flores Arce/Xochime, passed away in 2012.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4127 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 18 of 92
04 May 2014 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
Sorry for the long absence and lack of answer, Crush. I haven't stopped studying, just got busy with another personal project and the time I usually put into writing my log suddenly disappeared!

In the end I did buy the book. It didn't set me back too badly--it cost about 15 American dollars. I don't know why, but in the case of grammars and exercise books, I work much better with the book in physical format (I guess its presence reminds me I have to study?). That sucks about Xochime, though--since the place I bought the book is in fact the school cum editorial house that released the book, I thought he may still have been teaching there...

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4127 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 

Message 19 of 92
13 May 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Short update on the current state of matters (more on Nahuatl and Esperanto on the next post):
It's been pretty hard to stay in line the past few weeks. Between a severe bout of wanderlust (not only did Italian wrap its pretty arms around my neck again, but German, a language I've never studied before, started to look pretty seductive too) and an even more severe slump at work, for the past two weeks I've only been doing Memrise and reviewing what I already know, so there's been little to no progress.

However, I feel I have firmer footing now, so I think I'm going to change how I split my time between Esperanto and Nahuatl. I've been doing Esperanto grammar in the afternoon and Nahuatl grammar at night, but I'm about to be done with my first Lernu course and I'm thinking of taking a short break before I start another, both to digest what I learned and to prioritize Nahuatl for a time. Wish me luck.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5854 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 20 of 92
17 May 2014 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Wish me luck.

Good luck! Maybe participating in our team's May challenge would help with that. :P

Jokes aside, I think that taking a bit of time to explain a feature of the language can revive its "coolness". Not that you seem to need it, though.

Anyway, I'm glad to know you haven't stopped studying Nahuatl. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Luso on 17 May 2014 at 4:17pm

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 21 of 92
17 May 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm still checking in here and really enjoy reading your comments on Nahuatl. I've also let Italian slip into my routine, though not actual study, just books, movies, and audiobooks.

Are you still meeting with your friend who was helping you out with Nahuatl?

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4127 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 

Message 22 of 92
18 May 2014 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Thanks for checking up on me, Luso. :) It isn't that I'm not going to participate this month, it's just that I'm still weighing what trait to explain. I'm considering doing the challenge by explaining a little about Direct and Indirect Object suffixes (which is what I'm studying right now) but I want to get the concept down right before I even try explaining it.

@Crush: he's quite busy with his job so we haven't met in person, but thankfully he's the fastest email replier on this side of the Pacific Ocean, so whenever I have a question, I email it to him and he answers pretty much immediately. We're planning to meet soon, though.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4127 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 

Message 23 of 92
23 May 2014 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
I have a big job coming up this weekend so while I prepare for it, I haven't advanced much (maybe I should say "at all") with Nahuat this weekl, but I'm making a point to at least do one or two sessions of spaced repetition each day, to keep my vocabulary fresh.

Also, today the missing jewel in my crown of Nahuatl learning resources arrived by mail; I acquired the "Diccionario de verbos de la lengua náhuatl", by Eduardo Portugal Carbó. I have to say it's a must for anyone studying this language, as it has all verbs conjugated in past tense as well (Mizton warned me some verbs in past tense in Nahuatl have to be learned by heart because of irregularity, so this helps a lot in that sense).

Cualli yohualtzin! (Good night)

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4127 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 

Message 24 of 92
28 May 2014 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
The weekend's big job is over, and in typical me fashion, I caught a cold immediately afterwards, so rather than fully go back into studying, I've only been working on maintaining vocabulary and present tense conjugation (too guttered to try anything else). Hopefully I'll be back on my feet by tomorrow.

Also, I'm really hoping I have enough free time to do my Team's monthly challenge by tomorrow! I've really let it slip down my list of priorities...

Ma cualli ohtli, nicniuhuan! (Have a good one, friends!)

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version