Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 25 of 92
03 June 2014 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Via esperanto estas jam tre bona! Nun via esperanto estas verŝajne pli bona ol la mia, sed mi nur volis diri al vi, ke oni uzas la akuzativon ankaū kun la adjektivo, tio estas: fari tiaN verkoN (parenteze, tio signifas "to make such a/that kind of work", ankaŭ eblas diri "fari tiun verkon": "to make that work"), kompreni la tutan aūdion, etc.

I hope you're feeling better now, btw :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4127 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 26 of 92
11 October 2014 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Back after a five month gap. Che vergogna.

While explanations are in order, I honestly don't want to go into detail of what happened after the last time I updated, so I will explain as scarcely as possible: I tried moving out of my country, failed miserably, came back home in August and spent the better part of August and September looking for (and then doing) work. In addition, I've started studying a Bachelor's in Administration.

These are my plans for the remainder of the year, and a proyection for 2015:

OCTOBER
Nahuatl will be on hold for part of this month.
The reason is that I've signed up to the Italki Language Challenge for Italian (there are no Nahuatl tutors or professors on Italki, and even if there were, I'm not at a level where I can produce anything yet). I have to log 12 hours in order to win the challenge.

The good news is (as of October 10th, the day I wrote this update) I've already logged 5 hours. If I keep the same rhythm, I should be able to finish the challenge succesfully.

The reason why I made the call to put Nahuatl (my main language this year) on hold is because I've been dragging Italian behind me for about a year, without as much as trying to use it. I can read it at B1 level right now, but I haven't held a conversation in it, and therefore I stumble a lot when trying to formulate sentences. The Challenge presented four incredible appeals I didn't want to let pass:
- the perfect opportunity to improve my conversational skills
- acquire more vocabulary
- use Italki practically (I'd been hoping for an excuse)
- put an end to my Italian language project

By an end to the project I don't mean I'll stop using Italian cold-turkey, just that I can move it from "Studies" to "Speaks" with my conscience satisfied that I've achieved my goals in it.

NOVEMBER/DECEMBER
Sprachprofi (from Team Rare) suggested an excellent goal for the last quarter of the year: to produce a online presentation of the language we're studying, maybe post it to YouTube. I want to use the last two months of the year to study Nahuatl intensively and make a spoken presentation written by myself (Mizton, my Nahuatl speaking friend and tutor, has agreed to give it the last check, though), uploaded before Christmas. If I can recover the momentum I had up to April, this shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3618 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 27 of 92
11 October 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Hurray! I was curious about Nahuatl, did a search, and found your log. When you get back to it, I'll read about it. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 28 of 92
12 October 2014 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
It's nice to see you back, good luck with the Italki challenge!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 29 of 92
13 October 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
I think I know (knew) someone with the nick Mizton!

Don't be hard on yourself, you are doing well. I may try doing some Italian since I may go there.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4127 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 

Message 30 of 92
14 October 2014 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Expug, is the guy you know from Mexico? Because being honest, it's not a very common nickname, and he's sort of an unique guy... :P

Things are going swimmingly regarding the Italki challenge. Today I passed the halfway point (six hours done, six more to go!) with an hour-long chat with a tutor who's also an aspiring writer. If I can manage to, I'll write a more complete report of the events up to now, tomorrow.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4959 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 31 of 92
14 October 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
It's quite likely it's him, a Mexican guy.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4127 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 

Message 32 of 92
14 October 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Still working hard at Italian. My routine at this point consists of one 1-hour class every second day, daily conversations with my mother (these usually carry on until one of us throws in the towel--80% of the time, it's me who does so, which is only to be expected because of her high level of proficience in it), and daily IT-EN translation work through Duolingo.

You'd think I'd be sick of translating (considering it's my main job) but no, it's pretty interesting to do so as a learning exercise.

I recorded an unrehearsed video-update, which I've decided to record every time I complete three hours during this challenge. I already spotted two mistakes, but I'm sure there's a fair share more of them.

Edited by Lakeseayesno on 14 October 2014 at 11:27pm

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version