Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

New Super Challenge Discussion thread2014

  Tags: Super Challenge
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 ... 95 96 Next >>
Lianne
Senior Member
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 3220 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

 
 Message 257 of 766
17 May 2014 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
hjordis wrote:
I like the super challenge because of its focus on concrete goals. Rather than saying "do as much as you can in this time period," the super challenge says "I want to do this much in this time period." So you have a goal to work towards and even if you don't meet it you hopefully did more than you would have otherwise.

Yes, yes, I'm exactly like that, apart from being competitive. I don't see why some goals are considered better than others.


Serpent, I really don't think people are saying that some goals are better than others. But some goals are more in tune with the idea of this challenge. This challenge, as I understand it, is really about immersion, and you can't immerse yourself in a dozen languages at once. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with your goals. If you want to study a dozen languages, all the power to you, and if you want to participate in this challenge with all of them, that's fine too, but you can't expect the very idea of the challenge to conform to your goals.

I hope that my input here doesn't add fuel to this fire. I know I'm not alone in wanting this debate to come to an end.
3 persons have voted this message useful



PeterMollenburg
Senior Member
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3581 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

 
 Message 258 of 766
17 May 2014 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
Serpent wrote:
hjordis wrote:
I like the super challenge because of its focus on
concrete goals. Rather than saying "do as much as you can in this time period," the super challenge says "I
want to do this much in this time period." So you have a goal to work towards and even if you don't meet it
you hopefully did more than you would have otherwise.

Yes, yes, I'm exactly like that, apart from being competitive. I don't see why some goals are considered better
than others.


Serpent, I really don't think people are saying that some goals are better than others. But some goals are
more in tune with the idea of this challenge. This challenge, as I understand it, is really about immersion, and
you can't immerse yourself in a dozen languages at once. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with
your goals. If you want to study a dozen languages, all the power to you, and if you want to participate in this
challenge with all of them, that's fine too, but you can't expect the very idea of the challenge to conform to
your goals.

I hope that my input here doesn't add fuel to this fire. I know I'm not alone in wanting this debate to come to
an end.


I agree Lianne,

Serpent, to me most the time it seems you just really require a lot of clarification and 'tweaking' of sth before
you undertake it. Or shall i rephrase 'sth' to mean the super challenge. Lianne holds the same sentiments as
myself and as she indicated probably many others too. The SC can only cater for individual tastes so much
as the idea is to include many people, who inevitably will have a range of personalities and will include some
ppl who's ideals are not catered to as well as others. We all just want to get on with the SC is the general
sentiment here. So let's, shall we not?

PM
4 persons have voted this message useful



Serpent
Octoglot
Senior Member
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 4702 days ago

9753 posts - 15775 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

 
 Message 259 of 766
17 May 2014 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
If not better then "more super", whatever one calls it. I see no difference.

I'm not asking for the challenge to conform to my goals, I just do genuinely see the ranking thing as an important change. How would you feel if you registered for the 6 week challenge, had a great start and suddenly the ranking was changed and the total one was what counted more? Maybe you'd be less vocal but trust me, it is frustrating to lose a source of motivation and energy. It hurts much more than if it hadn't been there in the first place. It hurts that at a stressful moment in my life, this forum/challenge only adds to the stress instead of being my safe haven.
1 person has voted this message useful



Serpent
Octoglot
Senior Member
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 4702 days ago

9753 posts - 15775 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

 
 Message 260 of 766
17 May 2014 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Serpent, to me most the time it seems you just really require a lot of clarification and 'tweaking' of sth before you undertake it.

But that's the whole nature of challenges. They've all required tweaking, the problem is just that the SC is so long-term. And yes, I enjoy interpreting rules creatively (and learning creatively in general), but I've accepted that Cristina is not interested in encouraging creativity.

Also, let me just remind everyone how the current debate started.

Kerrie wrote:
Surrealix, would it be possible to put less space between languages on
the main page? For those who have multiple languages? It seems really (vertically)
spread out. With Serpent at the top, she takes up almost my whole 23" screen. LOL.


If anyone wouldn't take that personally, well, good for you.

Edited by Serpent on 17 May 2014 at 3:15am

1 person has voted this message useful



Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 4606 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

 
 Message 261 of 766
17 May 2014 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
How would you feel if you registered for the 6 week challenge, had a great start and suddenly the ranking was changed and the total one was what counted more?


Personally I wouldn't care, at all. Rankings and other people progress isn't a concern for me. I don't see it as a competition and I don't get demotivated by seeing people with vastly varying circumstance progressing towards their personal goals at different rates.

The value in the twitter tracker for me is in keeping a record of what I'm doing and being able to browse through what other people doing the same language have been watching/reading for ideas of new things to watch/read.
2 persons have voted this message useful



Serpent
Octoglot
Senior Member
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 4702 days ago

9753 posts - 15775 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

 
 Message 262 of 766
17 May 2014 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
But have you ever participated in a 6 week challenge?
1 person has voted this message useful



kanewai
Triglot
Senior Member
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 2994 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

 
 Message 263 of 766
17 May 2014 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
   I enjoy interpreting rules creatively (and learning creatively in
general), but I've accepted that Cristina is not interested in encouraging creativity.


Mods - can we put an end to this?
13 persons have voted this message useful



Serpent
Octoglot
Senior Member
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 4702 days ago

9753 posts - 15775 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

 
 Message 264 of 766
17 May 2014 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
I wasn't speaking of the forum rules, just things like L2-L3 Listening-Reading.


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.3281 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.