Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 401 of 766
11 June 2014 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
It's strange to see that some participants are nearing half a
challenge after only 40 days in a challenge which is supposed to run for over a year. But
it's still great to see so much activity already

It's kind of jaw dropping. Though I have to keep reminding myself that books are cut in
half this round. Even so, that's some fast progress!

A big (and nice) difference I noticed this year is that people are logging their actual
books. Last time I remember their being too many of vague "I read 1000 pages last week"
posts in the beginning.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5181 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 402 of 766
11 June 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
So far I think marking the little victories is helping. It gives you something to chase after - a reason to read just three more pages or to watch just one more video. I'm currently chasing after my third star* but earlier I celebrated getting my first book recorded for Irish which I was just as psyched about. In a gamified system, there's a risk of it being too easy and turning into a sort of Skinner box (which became my experience with Duolingo Spanish), but since I'd be reading/watching/listening anyway and I'm genuinely interested in what I'm being exposed to, I should be fine.

*Actually, I deliberately chased after my second star - today I just happened to have quite a few podcasts queued up that I was interested in and it was also the day after the busy period of the month at work so I could concentrate more on what I was listening to. By the end of the day I realized how close I'm getting so now I'm focusing on that star. But I have to say that after a long day of concentrating on French audio I'm pretty exhausted so I won't be keeping that pace up forever.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4412 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 403 of 766
11 June 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I have to say, the Super Challenge really doesn't seem as super this time around. It's strange to see that some participants are nearing half a challenge after only 40 days in a challenge which is supposed to run for over a year. But it's still great to see so much activity already (and I'm glad the number of pages were cut in half).

In addition to the page count, the other big change from last time is that the 100-100 Super Challenge was for B1 and below, while the Advanced Super Challenge 200-200 was for B2 and over.

I'm making steady progress on books and movies in my B2+ languages, but the going is much slower in my A1 language. I suspect that may be true for others as well. Just another reason not to compare yourself to others, but to focus instead on your own progress and be pleased with the improvements you see there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 404 of 766
11 June 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
I just saw that I missed surrealix' comment on bronze/silver/gold stars, which I think is a really good
system. I thought we all had to get 8 blue stars, which could get a bit messy. I agree that it's motivating to
have some stars between the big level changes.

I guess for anyone at a C1 level and above completing 100/100 will be comfortably achievable... While I'd
be surprised if anyone starting at A1 makes it. It would be cool if there was an option to sort people by
their estimated starting level. Maybe that's something to consider next time the Super Challenge starts.
Although level estimations are always tricky, a rough sorting by Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced would
be a great feature.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5026 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 405 of 766
11 June 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I just saw that I missed surrealix' comment on bronze/silver/gold stars, which I think is a really good system. I thought we all had to get 8 blue stars, which could get a bit messy. I agree that it's motivating to
have some stars between the big level changes.

I guess for anyone at a C1 level and above completing 100/100 will be comfortably achievable... While I'd be surprised if anyone starting at A1 makes it. It would be cool if there was an option to sort people by their estimated starting level. Maybe that's something to consider next time the Super Challenge starts.
Although level estimations are always tricky, a rough sorting by Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced would be a great feature.

It would be a bit of a nightmare to sort people doing multiple languages.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 406 of 766
12 June 2014 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
It would be a bit of a nightmare to sort people doing multiple languages.

Why? Right now it's possibe to sort all of their languages seperately, too. Starting level could simply be
anothercolumn, just like it's possible to sort people by study language now.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 407 of 766
12 June 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
A big (and nice) difference I noticed this year is that people are logging their actual books. Last time I remember their being too many of vague "I read 1000 pages last week" posts in the beginning.

That's because in the very beginning the titles wouldn't be displayed.

I love the new features and the shiny ranking page. And the World Cup is about to start ;P
A few things, though...
-I think we need a more or less official rule about underreporting. I sure hope nobody cares enough about the badges to do that, but we've had mentions of "saving [items] for a rainy day" and I really think this should be officially considered cheating. I'm not saying we need more pressure for daily or weekly reporting, just for reporting everything you've completed. I definitely understand that there are various "legitimate" reasons not to report as you go, however.
-no matter how you look at it, something is off with the star formatting. the blank stars are neither here nor there - given that nobody gets bronze/silver in one go, i don't think it makes sense for them to be so large. or if they are large, they need to be aligned in the same way as the non-blank stars (i think they take the same space as two blue stars?). another option could be separate columns for stars earned by books/movies, in order to display 50 differently from 25/25. there are tons of possibilities but some sort of small adjustment is needed.
-speaking of that, we still have no rules for giving ribbons at the end of the challenge, other than for the full 100/100 challenge. don't know about others, but I wouldn't mind if you needed to do at least two half challenges to get a ribbon.

Edited by Serpent on 12 June 2014 at 4:30pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 408 of 766
12 June 2014 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

-I think we need a more or less official rule about underreporting. I sure hope nobody cares enough about the badges to do that, but we've had mentions of "saving [items] for a rainy day" and I really think this should be officially considered cheating.

Wow. I suppose me saving 700 pages, read over the course of five weeks, until I have finished the book, would be considered cheating then.

If someone is doing the SC, I would certainly hope they are doing it for themselves, and no one else. And they can report what they do, whenever they like. I think the badges and stars are a neat little addition, but if anyone is doing it just to earn stars or badges, then they might need to re-think their priorities.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version