Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

New Super Challenge Discussion thread2014

  Tags: Super Challenge
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 80 ... 95 96 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Senior Member
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 4644 days ago

9757 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

 
 Message 633 of 766
10 November 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
so, Serpent, I'm not sure why the "ugh"

It was mostly about your previous accusation. I get double protective when a Finnish native speaker learning Spanish is attacked :)
2 persons have voted this message useful



Jeffers
Senior Member
United Kingdom
Joined 2956 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

 
 Message 634 of 766
11 November 2014 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
kanewai wrote:
You guys are nicer than me. When someone comes in and makes extraordinary claims I
want to see them backed up.   There was some creativity last challenge (so, Serpent,
I'm not sure why the "ugh" - I checked things pretty carefully before I said anything
in public) - but even if the current guy is back-logging stuff it comes out to 2.5
movies and 2 books in Japanese per day since May 1.   And while I realize it's
all anime and porn, that's still an awful lot.

______________________________

This mini challenge is going to be hard for me too. I haven't figured out how I'll do
it.



2.5 movies and 2 books a day, every single day does indeed sound like a lot, so perhaps the one who has
posted that could tell us how he/she has achieved that? If you can pull that off, it is worth sharing the
methods.

I do not see any wrong in asking. Once at a 6wc I clocked 17 hours of activities in 24 hours, which was a
result of a particularly ghastly holiday where I tried to mentally escape as much as possible and a sleepless
night. Someone asked me about it, and I explained. End of story. (I ended the holiday with the mother of all
migraines because of all the studying, but that is another story).


It's actually far more than that, because he actually claims to have read 9165 pages on one day (the 5th of November), and over 10,000 minutes, both with posts of the same title: ブリーチ 全366話+4劇場版 (2014-◯◯-◯◯) for reading, ). You might think he just didn't post the reading before, but since September 19 he has posted something every single day that I can see, twice on most days. So he is claiming those readings for that day, and it amounts to 381.9 pages per hour in the day (assuming no sleep).

That

Now just look at yesterday (the 10th of November):
For books he's claiming 255 pages of メグ たんって魔法つかえるの?13-24/ドクタ ーx305/信長協奏曲04/ドラゴンボール改23(121)- 31(129)/ナルト疾風伝378-381 【字幕】.
For films he's claiming 634 minutes of メグたんって魔法つかえるの?13-24/艶美1-2/ �ルタースケルター01/qさま14年11月10日/池 � ��/宇宙海賊サラ02/ドクターx305/信長協奏 04 /db改23-31/ナルト疾風伝378-381.

I can't read Japanese, but again those two look very similar. Something is definitely fishy with this guy's posts. At best, he's double counting (films + subtitles). At worst he's taking us for a ride. Does anyone know this fellow? Is he a member of HTLAL?

EDIT: after a bit of digging around, 字幕 means subtitles, so he does seem to be double-counting.

Edited by Jeffers on 11 November 2014 at 8:34am

5 persons have voted this message useful



Luso
Hexaglot
Senior Member
Portugal
Joined 4108 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

 
 Message 635 of 766
11 November 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
2.5 movies and 2 books a day, every single day does indeed sound like a lot, so perhaps the one who has posted that could tell us how he/she has achieved that? If you can pull that off, it is worth sharing the methods.

I do not see any wrong in asking.

I think this would be the best bet. It has a positive angle and it's Cristina's prerrogative, anyway.

Personally, I don't like the fact that one single person has managed to monopolise the conversation for days (and not even entering it, at that).
4 persons have voted this message useful



kanewai
Triglot
Senior Member
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 2936 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

 
 Message 636 of 766
13 November 2014 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I was actually underwhelmed by The Returned, and just found a review
which captured my feelings pretty closely:
Quote:
Hmmmmm…. since when staring in empty space for hours amounts to great acting? Atmospheric but going nowhere…



I think that describes half of the French movies I watch! Sometimes I don't even log the
full amount of time, because so much of the movie is just people staring pensively out
of a window.

Though I have a soft spot for The Returned; it was the first French show I watched and
understood without subtitles. The long pauses really helped.

Edited by kanewai on 13 November 2014 at 3:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful



Jeffers
Senior Member
United Kingdom
Joined 2956 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

 
 Message 637 of 766
29 November 2014 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
2.5 movies and 2 books a day, every single day does indeed sound like a lot, so perhaps the one who has posted that could tell us how he/she has achieved that? If you can pull that off, it is worth sharing the methods.

I do not see any wrong in asking.

I think this would be the best bet. It has a positive angle and it's Cristina's prerrogative, anyway.

Personally, I don't like the fact that one single person has managed to monopolise the conversation for days (and not even entering it, at that).


Personally, I didn't like the fact that Luso killed the conversation, even though he clearly had good intentions. It is perfectly legitimate to discuss how the challenge is going, and that includes wondering how one user has managed to rack up such impressive numbers. The one single person was part of the topic of conversation for several days, but not the only topic; several of us were also discussing series and subtitles, etc. Now it's "radio silence". I'd rather discuss that one person than discuss nothing.

Meanwhile, our front-runner's reading graph has levelled off, so I guess he's stopped posting subtitles read while watching. Hopefully, someone contacted him or he read the thread? I actually would like to thank Kanewai for bringing it up. It's great to have someone so interested in how the rest of us are doing that he notices when something looks dodgy. And it's even better that he is willing to bring it up and discuss it in what is, after all, a discussion thread.

Edited by Jeffers on 29 November 2014 at 9:25pm

4 persons have voted this message useful



Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Senior Member
Norway
Joined 3381 days ago

4144 posts - 8863 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

 
 Message 638 of 766
30 November 2014 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Luso wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
2.5 movies and 2 books a day, every single day
does indeed sound like a lot, so perhaps the one who has posted that could tell us how he/she has achieved
that? If you can pull that off, it is worth sharing the methods.

I do not see any wrong in asking.

I think this would be the best bet. It has a positive angle and it's Cristina's prerrogative, anyway.

Personally, I don't like the fact that one single person has managed to monopolise the conversation for days
(and not even entering it, at that).


Personally, I didn't like the fact that Luso killed the conversation, even though he clearly had good intentions.
It is perfectly legitimate to discuss how the challenge is going, and that includes wondering how one user has
managed to rack up such impressive numbers. The one single person was part of the topic of conversation
for several days, but not the only topic; several of us were also discussing series and subtitles, etc. Now it's
"radio silence". I'd rather discuss that one person than discuss nothing.

Meanwhile, our front-runner's reading graph has levelled off, so I guess he's stopped posting subtitles read
while watching. Hopefully, someone contacted him or he read the thread? I actually would like to thank
Kanewai for bringing it up. It's great to have someone so interested in how the rest of us are doing that he
notices when something looks dodgy. And it's even better that he is willing to bring it up and discuss it in
what is, after all, a discussion thread.


I do not think Luso meant to kill the conversation, but otherwise I totally agree. And I am still looking forward
to see an explanation as to how those numbers are possible :-)
1 person has voted this message useful



Serpent
Octoglot
Senior Member
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 4644 days ago

9757 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

 
 Message 639 of 766
01 December 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Well, this is the account in question (almost NSFW).

I'm curious what "Animetal" refers to. You can't really cheat lastfm.

Will there be a December challenge btw? :)
3 persons have voted this message useful



Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Senior Member
Norway
Joined 3381 days ago

4144 posts - 8863 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

 
 Message 640 of 766
02 December 2014 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, this is the account in question (almost
NSFW).

I'm curious what "Animetal" refers to. You can't really cheat lastfm.

Will there be a December challenge btw? :)


My mind is blank, any suggestions :-) ?


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.4063 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.