justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3796 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 441 of 766
07 July 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
So is anyone else already thinking about what they want to do for the next Super
Challenge? I mean the one which commences in May 2016!

So who else is mad enough to have begun planning for the next Super Challenge?

Me too! I want to start learning and participate in the next Super Challenge with Spanish, but I figure I ought
to at least learn my French to a higher level first! :). But yes, sometime in 2015, I plan to start learning
Spanish, and have already started an Evernote notebook on Spanish resources, collecting links, other
people's plans of how they learned Spanish, etc, favorite podcasts, books to read, etc!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 442 of 766
07 July 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
I love you guys :-) When I think I am getting obsessed with my language studies to the point of approaching
actual insanity, there are people even more dedicated than I, who actually make me feel like a slacker.

Big Norwegian bear hug coming your way :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4051 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 443 of 766
07 July 2014 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
So is anyone else already thinking about what they want to do for the next
Super
Challenge? I mean the one which commences in May 2016!

So who else is mad enough to have begun planning for the next Super Challenge?

Me too! I want to start learning and participate in the next Super Challenge with Spanish, but I figure I ought
to at least learn my French to a higher level first! :). But yes, sometime in 2015, I plan to start learning
Spanish, and have already started an Evernote notebook on Spanish resources, collecting links, other
people's plans of how they learned Spanish, etc, favorite podcasts, books to read, etc!

Spanish for me, too, next time...or maybe Italian?? Spent a week in France with the in-laws last week, and was
pleasantly surprised by how nice it was to not have to fumble around in French for my words. The intensive reading
and watching put my brain in French mode: I made many fewer mistakes in speaking than I have in a very long
time.

After getting the French up to speed, will be ready to focus on a new challenge next time ;-).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 444 of 766
07 July 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I *think* I'll focus on a smaller number of languages next time, though I see ppl are straying away from 1-2 languages at a time anyway :D Like, Kerrie is now registered with six :)
Given how many books I already own in Italian, and how for me it's currently the easiest language to get e-books in (thanks to ibs.it), I'm pretty sure I'll do it again. If things go well I should be aiming for advanced fluency by then. Swedish seems likely too (much less advanced obv). Perhaps also something like Dutch/Catalan/Galician/Bulgarian.

If I forget Russian in the process, will you let me sign up with it? ;)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 445 of 766
07 July 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

This made me laugh out loud!

I'm sticking with Tagalog and Spanish until next summer…but I'm thinking that my next language after that will be
Russian. So I'll be able to help you out if you get stuck. Ha!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 446 of 766
08 July 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I *think* I'll focus on a smaller number of languages next time, though I see ppl are
straying away from 1-2 languages at a time anyway :D Like, Kerrie is now registered with six :)
Given how many books I already own in Italian, and how for me it's currently the easiest language to get e-
books in (thanks to ibs.it), I'm pretty sure I'll do it again. If things go well I should be aiming for advanced
fluency by then. Swedish seems likely too (much less advanced obv). Perhaps also something like
Dutch/Catalan/Galician/Bulgarian.

Yep :-)

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5265 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 447 of 766
08 July 2014 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
I'm trying as hard as I can to not add Spanish lately... it's been touch and go at times, but I've seen the light &
am sticking to French and Dutch (Dutch courses) only. French is my only language in the SC at the moment
and I don't intend on adding any to my SC as I prefer to feel like I've gained a bit of a grounding via courses
first. So I can't say I'm considering adding more languages to my current or next SC but I'm certainly tempted
to start Spanish courses.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 448 of 766
09 July 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

The July challenge is the following:

Pick something you have both as text, audio and/or film (at least two of them) and do first one, then the other, then come back to the first and see what improvements you have made, and try and describe them to us.

Fun!

I never have the patience to read and re-read long books or do L/R the proper way, so I'll probably do this with short stories (I'm too American that way, I think. I always want to finish and then start something new).

I found a good one for French: L'homme qui plantait des arbes, an eleven page story by Jean Giono. I really like Giono's writing (Jean de Florette, Manon of the Spring), and this sounds like one I could read & listen to multiple times. Also, it's in the public domain and free online.

From Wikipedia: L'homme qui plantait des arbres, also known as The Story of Elzéard Bouffier, The Most Extraordinary Character I Ever Met, and The Man Who Planted Hope and Reaped Happiness, is an allegorical tale by French author Jean Giono, published in 1953. It tells the story of one shepherd's long and successful singlehanded effort to re-forest a desolate valley in the foothills of the Alps in Provence throughout the first half of the 20th century.

Free links:

text

Film d'animation by Frédéric Back for Radio-Canada. This won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 1987.

audio

I'm still looking for a good Italian choice.

edit: strike that! I just found some good links for Le avventure di Pinocchio. There is a 4:46 hour recording on Librivox (also on iTunes) and a free kindle version on Amazon.

Edited by kanewai on 10 July 2014 at 12:22am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version