Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 201 of 580
22 February 2009 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Mandarin
Russian
Arabic
Japanese
Spanish

Since I already know English and French, I needn't mention them in the list.
These 5 languages are the most spoken, and therefore a must to communicate with foreigners.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hollow
Bilingual Triglot
United States
luelinks.netRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6329 days ago

179 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, SpanishB2
Studies: Korean

Message 203 of 580
22 February 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
no, nevermind what my last post said, I changed my mind

- Korean- Whatever it takes me, I'll speak this language well some day
- Spanish- so necessary, and so beautiful

The other 3 are pure fantasy, things I'll probably never get to because of my focus on Korean and Spanish, but...

Indonesian- I always try to trick people by saying I'm Indonesian, it's be cool to have the skills to take that farce a bit further

Japanese- I'd never learn this, but gosh darn it if it doesn't seem the peak of interesting... I think I'm just attracted to the scripts, honestly

Peul- My dad's language, I think I missed so much growing up without this... But I'm beyond the age to learn that freaky thing he does with his vocal chords to pronounce a weird B and D, I fear, so none of that for me

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 204 of 580
11 March 2009 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
This thread took a long time to read; because I decided while reading other posts that I needed to slim down my hit list considerably, as it was too ambitious, and getting a little ridiculous. I also don't want to limit myself to just 5 languages, and to make it more interesting for me personally I will list 5 languages I might like to learn if I had unlimited time and resources. These languages are, in no special order, listed below:

1. Inuktitut - Just to know a relatively exotic Native American language that is still spoken.

2. Swahili - It's widely spoken in East Africa.

3. Cantonese - I would love to visit Hong Kong.

4. Guaraní - Maybe I'll go to Paraguay someday.

5. Northern Sami - Could be very useful in Northern Scandinavia.

I actually intend to learn the first three languages, but the last two are highly unlikely, given the relative scarcity of learning resources. I may find the thread that asks about 10 languages so I can add languages like Icelandic, Polish, Estonian, Montagnais-Naskapi and Hawaiian to this list.

yushuak
United Kingdom
Joined 5567 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Italian

Message 205 of 580
12 March 2009 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Hm.
I dont want to seem boring following the above post:

Spanish
French
German
Italian
Arabic

VityaCo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6871 days ago

79 posts - 86 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 206 of 580
12 March 2009 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone.
I think, it all depends what you want to do with them.
The question is :” …if you could learn only 5 languages to perfect (native) fluency (reading/writing/listening/speaking), in addition to any which you already have a native or advanced fluency in…”

English – you just have to, it is Latin in our time.

French – you do not have to, but if it is not in English, then it is mostly likely in French.

Arabic- the whole another world for an Indo-European language speaker. The different script and the grate culture.

Chinese – read Arabic description above.

Greek – you can find a lot of native speakers in small communities around the world, and read in origin about 3 thousand years old text on all topics.

Edited by VityaCo on 12 March 2009 at 9:23am

JasonBourne
Groupie
United States
Joined 5542 days ago

65 posts - 111 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 207 of 580
13 March 2009 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
Japanese - Already conversational in the language, mind as well keep it up
Mandarin - impressive
Arabic - impossible
French - sexy
Portuguese - sexier

There are more I'd like to study, but I think if I came anywhere close to having any sort of practical fluency in these languages, I'd die a happy man

trance0
Pentaglot
Groupie
Slovenia
Joined 5540 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: Slovenian*, English, German, Croatian, Serbian

Message 208 of 580
14 March 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
I would first like to improve on the languages I am already familiar with: German and Serbo-Croatian and bring them at least to advanced fluency. Aside from these I find the following most useful:

1. French, love the sound of this one and I find it very useful in Europe and many other parts of the world.
2. Italian, very useful in my country as we border on Italy and Italians are notoriously bad in foreign languages.
3. Spanish, a beautiful and very useful language especially in the Latin america.
4. Russian, the most important Slavic language and not to dissimilar from my native tongue, very useful in Eastern Europe.
5. Arabic, very interesting and useful in the Middle East and in North Africa, also geographically close to EU.

This discussion contains 580 messages over 73 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version