So You Want to Learn 5...

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
580 messages over 73 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 49 ... 72 73 Next >>
noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5129 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 385 of 580
27 April 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
For me:

Arabic
French
German
Japanese
Mandarin
1 person has voted this message useful

Saif
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5401 days ago

122 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Levantine)*, French

Message 386 of 580
28 April 2010 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
1. Russian
2. Mandarin
3. Turkish
4. Greek
5. Persian

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5162 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 387 of 580
28 April 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
It's rather difficult to limit it to 5 as I haven't put too much thought in past my first two. Lots I'm just interested in. These I certainly wish to learn a lot of:

1. Icelandic because I love the country and wish to live there.
2. German as it is understood in much of central Europe. I also love it in its written form.

The last two are between a lot of languages for different reasons:

- French for access to much of Africa and Canada (although there are often differences) and due to their films.
- Spanish for access to most of South America and some of North America. For some reason the romance languages don't appeal to me much for their own sakes but with French and Spanish you attain great access to some places that are further afield.
- Welsh and Irish as I'm fond of the fact that we have minority languages in the UK. Large parts of Wales speak only Welsh so that'd be most useful.
- Polish as I have several Polish friends, although I've not visited Poland.
- Finnish, but I'm not really sure why. It's a beautiful country and the language has an interesting feel and look to it, with some grammatical points that I'm not at all used to.
- Mandarin would be very interesting to teach myself but I'm not sure I'd take it far due to the writing system. I find it very beautiful to hear, though, so would love to concentrate on spoken Mandarin.

In summary, I expect for the purpose of this list to learn one Romance language, one local minority language and one other for my own pleasure:

3. French/Spanish (probably French)
4. Welsh/Irish (probably Irish, possibly both to low intermediate)
5. Polish/Finnish/Mandarin (probably Finnish and some Mandarin)

Schicksal
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5108 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, German, Indonesian
Studies: Japanese

Message 388 of 580
03 May 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Chinese(Mandarin)
Japanese
Korean
Malay/Indonesian
Dutch

Doing a 4 year university degree in Chinese starting next year anyway, and i plan to
learn the others along the way (:

dolly
United States
Joined 5579 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 389 of 580
03 May 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
French
Italian
Turkish
Modern Greek
Persian

Edit: I just looked up at your post, Saif:

Saif wrote:
1. Russian
2. Mandarin
3. Turkish
4. Greek
5. Persian

Cool :o)

Edited by dolly on 03 May 2010 at 10:28pm

Saif
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5401 days ago

122 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Levantine)*, French

Message 390 of 580
03 May 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
dolly wrote:
French
Italian
Turkish
Modern Greek
Persian

Edit: I just looked up at your post, Saif:

Saif wrote:
1. Russian
2. Mandarin
3. Turkish
4. Greek
5. Persian

Cool :o)

We share common interests in languages. :D I'm learning Italian too, but I thought I'd
throw in an Asian language for balance. =)

lasoul
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5131 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish, Turkish, Arabic (classical)

Message 391 of 580
05 May 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
If I had to choose five, my picks are:

1. Spanish - I love the sound and the rhytm of this language. I already learn it but I am at the beginning. Hopefully I will be fluent someday.

2. Arabic - I am fascinated by this language. Currently I am learning MSA but I am focusing on the sript. I love it so far. Later I want to pick a dialect as well but I am not sure which one I will choose.

3. French - I leant French in school and I really liked it. Unfourtenetly I forget much of my French due to focussing on other stuff. But I reall want to re-learn it.

4.Turkish - As I am living in an area with many turkisch speaking people I have some knoweldge of this language. But this knowledge basicly consists of vocabulary. So I want to learn some grammer and some more vocabulary in order to be able to speak and understand this beautiful language.

To choose the last one is really hard. I guess the 5. would be Persian, Russian or Hebrew maybe.

Edited by lasoul on 22 May 2010 at 2:06pm

Ubik
United States
ubykh.wordpress.com/
Joined 5105 days ago

147 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish

Message 392 of 580
10 May 2010 at 12:55am | IP Logged 

1. German (Its the most beautiful-sounding language Ive ever heard + the language is intuitive (to me, anyway) and I already know quite a bit from high school)
2. Arabic (Extremely useful -- one of the big players and it'd
3. Spanish (I live on the west coast of the US so thats an obvious reason, but real Spain Spanish is almost as beautiful as German to me)
4. Romanian (Just plain 'ol fascinated with it. I have been for years. Its perhaps the least Romance of the Romance languages despite its name and that alone intrigues me)
5. Serbo-Croatian (Again, dunno...it fascinates me. I want to start with Croatian first because it uses the Roman alphabet, then move to Serbian to learn the Cyrillic script)

This discussion contains 580 messages over 73 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version