Frost
United States
Joined 5593 days ago

27 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Norwegian, Faroese, Greek

Message 209 of 580
14 March 2009 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I only speak English now but at the young age of 16, I have plenty of time to pick and choose which languages to learn and how to apply them to my career/lifestyle.

Russian: Plan on spending a few hours, every day, for several months on this language during summer vacation. Lots of learning materials, a fascinating culture, and a huge accompanying ego for an American who learned Russian on his own.

Icelandic: When I told my family I was going to learn Icelandic, their response was simply "What?" Besides being reminiscent of Old Norse, Icelandic would basically be my way into Scandinavian culture (and into their respective languages, if I were to choose another).

Greek (all variations): For the sake of keeping my list short, I've included all varieties of Greek here. I would like to learn Biblical Greek (not the right term, I know) to, of course, read the Old Testament in the original language. However, modern Greek is perhaps more important if I ever wanted to actually speak it!

Finnish: Arguably the most difficult Indo-European language, Finnish seems to have very little reward to back up the immense effort to learn it. But considering a lot of the music I listen to is in Finnish, I'd love to learn it some day!

Italian: Simply, the language of my family.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 210 of 580
15 March 2009 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Nitpicky points: Finnish is not classified as an Indo-European language. It is classified as Uralic with Estonian, Lappish, Hungarian and other languages in northern Russia as related languages. Its difficulty is relative as speakers of other Uralic languages (especially Estonian or Karelian) consider it to be rather easy to learn.

VityaCo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6871 days ago

79 posts - 86 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 211 of 580
15 March 2009 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
JasonBourne wrote:

There are more I'd like to study, but I think if I came anywhere close to having any sort of practical fluency in these languages, I'd die a happy man

So true, o true. Especially if we could use them too.

Edited by VityaCo on 15 March 2009 at 10:44am

Olekander
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5673 days ago

122 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Russian

Message 212 of 580
16 March 2009 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
French,
Russian,
Thamil,
Nordic (they all count as one, I can't see how one could only be fluent in Swedish, and not understand the other ones, if I had to pick one, Swedish). Icelandic is an exception.
Estonian

Ancient languages:
Anglo-Saxon,
Latin,
Sanskrit,
Greek,
Eygptian.

Edited by Olekander on 17 March 2009 at 3:22pm

Whiskeyjack
Canada
Joined 5522 days ago

36 posts - 37 votes
Studies: Finnish, Spanish, Russian

Message 213 of 580
17 March 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
I know English

My goal, is

Finnish - cause im half finnish
Russian - cause ive been there already, and its a cool european language to know
Polish - cause im half polish, and its related to russian
Hindi - cause there are alot of hindi's in Canada
Twi - Cause i have friends from Ghana

Edited by Whiskeyjack on 17 March 2009 at 3:24pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5932 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 214 of 580
22 March 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Oh you horrible, horrible person! Making me choose only five languages besides the ones I already speak (English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese)? Well, here's my attempt at it. But like others have said, some change with the mood.

Greek
Russian
Japanese
Arabic
Italian

Another language to consider might be German...

Cra-Z
Tetraglot
Canada
vurtego.ca/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5581 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Kurdish

Message 215 of 580
23 March 2009 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Well, I speak English, French and Portuguese. My 5 at this point would have to be:

Russian (Currently studying) - I don't really know why to be honest. I just see it as a challenge. I taught English in Russia for a while so that gave me a head start. I think my Russian study is mainly experimental because I certainly haven't fallen in love with the culture or the country. Hopefully that comes later.

Mandarin - Wow, what a feat. One good reason for learning this one would be to silence all the people who say it's impossible. It would also be neat to be able to talk to 1 billion plus Mandarin speakers.

Arabic - Again, just such a significant language. I'm also curious how it feels to think right to left. :-P

Spanish - The last 2 are tough for me. I'm hesitant to say Spanish because I already understand it. But it's such a huge language that I might as well stick it on the list because I plan to speak it fluently at some point.

I have no idea what the 5th would be. I'm not drawn to any in particular right now. Maybe Hindi, Japanese or German. It's tough to say German or Hindi because so many of those native speakers also speak English now. We'll see what happens. :-P

monkeykoder
United States
Joined 5515 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 216 of 580
23 March 2009 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
My list as of this very second...
Japanese (I've been fascinated with it since I was very young but never applied myself to it)
German (Who could say they DON'T want to learn German???)
Russian (Hey it's not French (I just have no desire to learn French (probably because it is one of the two languages always taught in High School)) and it's one of the three languages to be fluent in for a Math geek)
Korean (I figure if I'm going to learn Japanese I might as well jump into Korean someday)
Mandarin (Well by this time I already know Japanese and Korean (say by 2025) seriously how could I NOT learn Mandarin...)

I guess I have a thing against Spanish and French just because they're the two languages almost everyone has some experience with if they went through High School in America...

This discussion contains 580 messages over 73 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version