Is comprehension measurable?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
211 messages over 27 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 26 27 Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4064 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 161 of 211
23 August 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Ynenos, I was following you until your last sentence. The fuzzy feelings are useful only when comparable to YOUR other fuzzy feeling experiences. When you have had the fuzzy feeling that you understood 1 at 70% and then understood 2 at 80% the number 75% is going to make a lot of sense to YOU. But, your fuzzy feelings cannot be comparable to my fuzzy feelings or the fuzzy feelings of anyone else.

I'm trying not to repeat points I made earlier in the thread. If someone is posting progress in their communicating their sense of their progress. You can't compare those numbers to other people's numbers, but you can make determinations about their sense of their progress, which you may judge to be inaccurate if you don't like their method of determining a %. There's no best practice here that we can decide on. Someone is simply trying to communicate their subjective experience to other people, and if you don't understand what they mean or want different information than what they're expressing, you simply ask for clarification in situation.

If you're in a situation where you need to compare results, like if you're trying to compare people's sense of progress for a challenge. Then you need to come up with a standardized method, it can be subjective and fuzzy, but if everyone is using more or less the same system, like say word counting, you know the results will be similar enough to be comparable.

If you're doing a scientific study and trying to find out how the human brain works, you'll need much more specific terminology about what you're trying to measure and find out.

Human language is flexible enough to be useful in all these different situations. That's why usage of words are slippery and and their meaning changes with context. "I comprehended 75% of Harry Potter" in someone's log carry's different underlying assumptions and communicates different information than "the test subject answered 75% of the story comprehension questions correctly". That's why you can't argue a best practice for communicating % comprehension without specifying in what context and to what purpose. Because everyone's got their own sliding definition of "understanding" and different information they personally would find useful, and for the discussion to proceed in a productive direction we all need to be on the same page about what end result we're working towards.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 162 of 211
23 August 2014 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
An amusing aspect of this debate that I never expected would last so long is that we are all pretty much in the
same boat. All of us read texts in our target languages and and are confronted all the time with issues of making
sense or understanding what we are reading. As Ynenos, James29 and others have pointed out, understanding is
often a fuzzy experience for most of us. As also has been pointed out, thinking at the word level is not enough;
there are things at the sentence level and even higher.

Recently, a friend of mine asked me to explain the meaning of the following phrase that he saw in a job
advertisement here in North America:

"Local candidates only need apply"

None of the five words were particularly unusual. What was the problem? In fact, as native or advanced speakers
of English know, the understanding of this phrase hinges on the verb need. It took quite a bit of explaining on
my part to show that the local candidates don't need anything. The verb need here is a synonym of "are asked
to" or "should". The phrase is a polite way of saying:

"Only local candidates will be considered"

This is just a tiny example of the problems that we encounter all the time and on a much bigger scale when
reading texts. Quantifying the phenomenon is the problem.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 163 of 211
23 August 2014 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
I think it's actually the easiest issue. You just estimate the percentage of the
sentences that were undecipherable despite no major vocabulary gaps. I don't normally
estimate this separately, but I suppose I generally average it out. For example if I
understood 70% of the words but 90% of the sentences, my overall comprehension is some
80%. Or "85% excluding insignificant details".

As for comparing different learners, the more important problem is that two people's
missing 25% of the text can be quite different. It takes some experience, especially
learning languages on your own and reading logs, to figure out how to improve one's
comprehension or help someone choose the next book to read.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 164 of 211
23 August 2014 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
   As also has been pointed out, thinking at the word level is not
enough;
there are things at the sentence level and even higher.

Recently, a friend of mine asked me to explain the meaning of the following phrase that
he saw in a job
advertisement here in North America:

"Local candidates only need apply"

None of the five words were particularly unusual. What was the problem? In fact, as
native or advanced speakers
of English know, the understanding of this phrase hinges on the verb need. It took
quite a bit of explaining on
my part to show that the local candidates don't need anything. The verb need here is a
synonym of "are asked
to" or "should". The phrase is a polite way of saying:

"Only local candidates will be considered"

This is just a tiny example of the problems that we encounter all the time and on a
much bigger scale when
reading texts. Quantifying the phenomenon is the problem.

Of course we will encounter problems with unfamiliar idiomatic usages, but the
experienced or advanced learner, given enough extensive reading or real-world
experience in the TL will gradually master them.

I assume that your friend understands that sign now, or if there is any lingering
doubt, it will disappear once he has seen similar signs often enough, if they are not
uncommon in that part of the world. (It would not be so common in my part of the
English-speaking world).

And once he understands it, he will understand it completely (it's not that difficult
once you "get" it).

What I am leading up to is that at the high end of comprehension, it is possible to
define comprehension as 100%. It would almost certainly be possible, say, for the
advanced learner to have 100% comprehension of a popular novel. Depending on the
learner, you could give them increasingly difficult texts and probably begin to find
some where their comprehenion is less than 100%. (This could also apply to native
speakers of course, depending on education, and the kind of texts being sampled).

I would say that apart from the 100% level which could apply in certain cases, I would
only bother to quantify at the very high end, even if less than 100%, such as emk and
his extensive knowledge of French novels, which he has detailed on occasions in
previous threads and quantified his verbal knowledge fairly precisely. And this is easy
for him with his e-books and software knowledge, but at that level, it's not that hard
even with paper books, since you aren't having to count many unknown words (if any) per
page.

OK, I was talking there about knowledge of individual words but it would not be
difficult to extend that to knowledge of sentences, or clauses.

Now, what about very long sentences, which we tend to associate with older literature,
say 19th century or earlier, or perhaps early 20th century? (There may be some modern
authors who also go in for long sentences, but by and large, it is no longer
fashionable).

It is possible to understand every word, every phrase, and every clause in such a long
sentence, but would we necessarily have a grasp of the sentence (which might in effect
be a paragraph) as a whole? Hard to generalise of course and hard to quantify. All I
can say is that if you are in a position to know around 100% of the words in such
literature, and you read it often enough for long enough, you are likely to master the
art of the long sentence, as presumably our great-grandfathers, etc, must have done,
and there is no reason why you can't achieve 100% comprehension as well.

In other words, I think s_allard is being a little pessimistic.

Edited by montmorency on 23 August 2014 at 10:02pm

MRoss
Australia
Joined 5988 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Dutch, German, Spanish

Message 165 of 211
23 August 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
"I comprehended 75% of Harry Potter" in someone's log carry's different
underlying assumptions and communicates different information than "the
test subject answered 75% of the story comprehension questions correctly"

=====

In highschool, our entire grade had the fortune (mmisfortune?) of
starting each day with 3 classes of English. One of those being
Comprehension.

Each class involved reading text and then answering questions about it,
as a means of measuring our comprehension.

That doesn't measure comprehension. That measures retention and recall.

Allowing the student to search through the text only partly measures
their comprehension of the question as results depend on their search
skills.

=====

S_allard, your example is a classic example of the idiomatice naturw of
language. That the implied message is different from the literal. And
that the message giver knows the message receiver can understand the
difference and knows what was meant by what was said.

A 3 or 4 year old girl made me think about this many years ago. I was
doing work at a client's home. On this day the family were outside and
their little girl was swimming. She turned to her dad and said, "I want
to get out now, I'm freezing..."

It stuck with me because...

1. She knew the difference between actual freezing and literal freezing.
2. She knew the coldness she was feeling could be described by the word
freezing.
3. She knew the person she was talking to would understand her implied
meaning.
4. And she knew this idiomatic manner at such a young age.

And I puzzled over those points. How did this come about? No real answer
for it. Just happens.

In Aust we might say someone has lost the plot. An American might not
understand that but will understand lost the farm. When we say some has
had a brain explosion we dont mean it literally.

The one I find real interesting is when we say someone has gone postal. A
saying stemming from the spate of postal works who "lost it". Now, many
yeara later, those who don't know the origin of that idiomatic expression
still use it to convey the correct intended meaning.

So not onky do we have thise small everyday expressions to deal with, we
have the addition of the non literal interpretations of some words. And
those are different for each language. Interesting challenges for us all.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 166 of 211
23 August 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
The little girl was probably copying what she'd previously heard an adult say?

Edited by Serpent on 23 August 2014 at 10:13pm

MRoss
Australia
Joined 5988 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Dutch, German, Spanish

Message 167 of 211
23 August 2014 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that's a given. Every word she knew was a word she had heard someone else say. But she
also knew the context of the word. She knew that what she was feeling could be expressed by
that word.

It's interesting because at such a young age her exposure to the number of times an adult
might have said something was freezing, is very limited. And thinking it through brings other
idioms into the mix...

Walking outside...oh it's freezing out here, come back in honey and we'll put on something
warm. Not warm literally, but figuratively. An idiom breeds another idiom.

An Iraqi here on a working holiday asked me what a "bazz" was.
"What is the context? How was it used in a sentence?" I asked him.
"Bob said he would give me a bazz later."
"Buzz. Was it buzz?"
"Yes. Buzz. What is this buzz?"
"It's a figure of speech. It means he is going to call you on the phone."

The interesting thing about the "give you a buzz" sentence is the implied meaning of "give"
and what is meant by "buzz".

Like the "only locals need apply" example, the literal meaning of give was different to the
implied. He understood the act of giving, but not the idiomatic meaning in that sentence.

The number of times we use these idioms only comes to light when we speak with an English
speaker from abroad, from a non English speaking country. Where they learned the words and
meanings but not the idiomatic meaning.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 168 of 211
24 August 2014 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Just a little wrinkle to the "75% comprehension of Harry Potter" challenge. Many people may not be aware that there
are substantial differences between the British and American editions of the HP books. A car park becomes a
parking lot, a dustbin a trash can, a cooker a stove, and many others. This was done, obviously, to make
comprehension easier for American readers. I wonder how much difference this really made. Here's the
link

This discussion contains 211 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version