United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 193 of 211
27 August 2014 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Let's say that our speakers are language students and claim to understand the other
dialog. These dialogs are not
particularly challenging. Both students can claim to understand 100% and they would be
right.

I don't doubt this level of understanding but my question is then how exactly do these
students understand what
has been said in the other language. Do they understand the way the native speakers
understand?

Of course, one could ask, Is it necessary to understand like a native? Probably not,
except if one wanted to speak
like a native. This is the proof of the pudding. Suppose we ask our students to
spontaneously make up similar
dialogs in the opposite language, What would the results be? At very high levels of
proficiency, let's say C1-C2,
the student would probably come up with something relatively idiomatic, like what we
have here.

At lower levels, our student, despite hearing the correct forms in the course of
conversations, will likely come up
with some awkward construction and a number of mistakes. Yet this person can claim to
understand the dialogs
in the other language completely.

You seem to have jumped from comprehension to production. You have moved the goalposts,
to use an English expression. (But do you understand the expression as an English
native-speaker would...?   :-))
3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5342 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 194 of 211
27 August 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
There is no doubt that the more exposure you get, the better you will become, but it's not a straight line. I
believe that unless one has plenty of corrective feedback, one will inevitably fossilize and continue producing
errors. This is why people will maintain a non-native accent all their lives in spite of being surrounded by French.

Personally, I appreciate corrections, and I believe that they help me. Many foreign language students and teachers would agree. However, there's a fair bit of Second Language Acquisition research that suggests that the benefits of correction are largely illusory—and some other research which says correction can help. For a good summary and links to further studies, see this article for language teachers:

Quote:
The topic of error correction in the second language (L2) classroom tends to spark
controversy among both language teachers and L2 acquisition researchers. Teachers
may have very strong views about error correction, based on their own previous L2
learning experiences, or they may be more ambivalent, particularly if they have been
following the debate among L2 researchers on the topic. Depending on which journal
articles a teacher reads, he or she will find error correction described on a continuum
ranging from ineffective and possibly harmful (e.g., Truscott, 1999) to beneficial (e.g.,
Russell & Spada, 2006) and possibly even essential for some grammatical structures
(White, 1991).

There are several hypotheses about Second Language Acquisition, including:

1. The input hypothesis.
2. The noticing hypothesis.
3. Comprehensible output hypothesis.

Above, I suggested that learners ought to "internalize" the rules of French gender agreement to the point that *la-F ____ vert-M sounded weird and wrong. This is technically a version of (2), the Noticing Hypothesis, suggesting that learners should train themselves to notice gender markers in their input. I can easily imagine exercises to help build this awareness.

The problem is that a lot of SLA researchers believe in the Input Hypothesis, and pretty much everybody agrees that the Noticing Hypothesis is very difficult to state in any kind of testable form. Do you have to be able to explain the actual grammar rules that govern gender? Or is it sufficient to be aware of which word forms are actually used in any given sentence?

s_allard wrote:
Why does even a relatively advanced speaker of French, after reading and understanding these two phrases
among many others, still make mistakes like *Cet beau café a été detruite pendant le guerre?

I'm not sure that a learner who regularly made mistake mistakes like this could be described as a "relatively advanced speaker." Generally speaking, students taking the DELF B2 are expected to make occasional errors, but to make very few consistent errors. And that sentence has consistently awful gender. The errors are "unnatural", by which I mean that a student with any mastery whatsoever of gender would be unlikely to make them.

Here are some mistakes that would be more "forgivable" at a B2 level, assuming they happened relatively rarely:

Quote:
1. *cette-F bel-M homme-M "that(/this) handsome man"

In French, cet-M and cette-F sound identical. You say cet-M homme-M "that man", because homme starts with a vowel. But if you insert an adjective that starts with a consonant, you need to say ce-M bel-M homme-M. This is an easy mistake, both because bel-M sounds like belle-F, and because cet would be used if the adjective were missing.

2. *Cette-F belle-F maison-F a été detruit-M pendant le guerre. "That beautiful house was destroyed during the war."

In this example, the short range agreements in Cette-F belle-F maison-F are correct, but the long-range agreement with detruit-M is wrong. The further you get from the referent, the easier it is to lose track of the gender.

3. *les photos-F que j'ai pris-M "the photos that I took"

Here, the verb should be prises, strictly speaking. But even native speakers get this wrong surprisingly often. Apparently these rules are very "late acquired", and they're not consistently followed in some dialects of spoken French.

4. *Le-M pont-M sur la-F route-F est détruite-F "the bridge on the road is destroyed"

This one is taken from one of the papers I linked to above, where it was given as an example of a typical native-speaker gender error. Here, the word route appears to be interfering with the gender of the word pont. English speakers sometimes make similar errors with singular/plural agreement in complex sentences.

5. *mon-M chien-M est mignonne-F "my dog is cute"

This should be mignon. But for an English speaker, this error is probably a pronunciation error, and not a grammatical error, because English speakers find it far easier to pronounce -onne (like the English "bone") than the nasal vowel in -on. This error can persist for a long time, especially when tired.

Any of these errors, in isolation, would be perfectly normal for a B2 student, as would a certain amount of guessing the gender of rare words. A student whose typical errors fall into one of these categories has at least partially acquired the rules of French gender, even if they have trouble getting everything correct in fast speech. But a student who constantly says things like *mon voiture or *cet beau café a été detruite would have to have remarkably good skills elsewhere to do well on production sections a C1 exam.

Personally, I could easily believe that a student who consistently makes these blatant errors has excellent comprehension of French, because you could erase the gender from a French text completely with little loss of meaning. But this is one of several reasons that I don't believe in a strict version of the input hypothesis.

s_allard wrote:
Without going into much depth, I think that we can say that native speakers store, in some manner, the
grammatical gender links that run horizontally through the phrase. The non-native speakers don't. And this is
the real problem of gender. It's not about getting the right gender of the noun; after all you have at least a 50%
chance and many nouns have predictable gender. The real problem is getting all the horizontal links right.

This is an excellent point. I would go so far as to say that a student who has thoroughly mastered the gender of everything except nouns is actually in pretty good shape—at the very least, they should be able to learn the gender of individual nouns quickly.

s_allard wrote:
Let's take an example: you have to right an important professional e-mail in your target language, let's say
French or Spanish.

You read the damn thing at least a dozen times. It looks pretty good to you. Do you send it
off as is or do you run it by your tutor or a native speaker?

Honestly, I don't always bother with native proofreading. My rules of thumb are:

1. Sales copy on my website should be written by a native speaker with copywriting experience.
2. Résumés and cover letters should be proofread carefully by a native speaker.
3. Technical blog posts should be proofread when possible.
4. Routine professional emails get proofread once or twice by me and then fed through Bon Patron to catch stupid mistakes, but that's about it.
5. Personal emails are simply written and sent, although I might occasionally look up a gender or feed an idiomatic expression through Linguee.

Error correction and feedback are nice, but they're simply not practical for routine emails, especially past a B2 level. I mean, I'm perfectly well aware that I still make errors, but the majority of my errors are subtle enough that I need to call in favors (or pay a tutor) to get good corrections. And it doesn't make sense to do that for routine emails.

montmorency wrote:
And what if you had someone who spoke fluent, grammatical and correct language, but in an atrocious accent that offends the ear of the native listener? How on earth do you measure that?

In northern New England, we call that "tourists from New Joisey." :-) Or more seriously, as a speaker of a pluricentric language with hundreds of common accents, some of my least favorite accents will inevitably be native ones. I'm sure the good folks from New Jersey feel the same way about me.

More seriously, if you did want to invent a numerical scale for speaking, I think you pretty much need to imitate the CEFR exams:

1. Make a list of things you care about: accent, vocabulary sophistication, grammatical correctness and richness, etc.
2. Assign a number of points to each category.
3. Write out standards saying, "a 2-point score in grammatical correctness looks like this or this, but a 3-point score looks like that or that."
4. Train your examiners well.
5. Choose speaking tasks (at least above B1) with a goal of defeating Boris Shekhtman's tricks.

Done well, this will produce results that are semi-repeatable, within a known margin of error. And that's really all you can ask for.

Edited by emk on 27 August 2014 at 7:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 195 of 211
27 August 2014 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:

1. French verbs have irregularities in the person conjugations, not just the stem, for
Spanish mostly it is the vowel or an extra consonant for the thousand or some so
"irregular verbs" which can be predicted often.

Why is it relevant whether the irregularity is in the stem or the ending? Eventually
you pronounce a different thing, so push comes to shove the actual words you emit are
different. I don't quite see the relevance of this comment.

Quote:
2. What does it do? Like inflecting adjectives, incomplete conjugation just sits
there because the speakers choose to use them. Languages without conjugation that must
use over pronouns get along fine without incomplete conjugation endings. What
is English (and thousands more) missing here?

You're missing a big issue here. French ORTHOGRAPHY was not updated. Remove that from
the equation and things suddenly start making a lot more sense.

What is wrong with speakers choosing to speak a way that you personally don't like? Do
languages have to be efficient? I didn't see that being a prerequisite when language
was invented. In fact, for comprehension, it's better, because you add in a layer of
redundancy - even if you miss the nous in speech, you might still hear the -ons, which
indicates it must be "we" who are talking. Etc. Redundancy is a common feature of
engineering systems and a very useful one.

Quote:
3. It does not do anything except add irregularity. The pronoun cannot be
dropped, and techniques such as a third person rephrasings I have seen in other pro
drop languages does not exist in French. Sort of like pronoun cases disappearing in
some varieties of Italian. I do believe conjugation will dissappear in French earlier
than many other IE languages that have incomplete conjugation.

Does it matter that it does?

Quote:
The above of course never has happened elsewhere in the world, non-Euro/non-Euro
influenced languages have never needed to be retweaked/"shaved" in the
same way at all. They are all healthier.

I thought healthy referred to there being a significant number of speakers.

Edited by tarvos on 27 August 2014 at 7:57pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3842 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 196 of 211
27 August 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=tarvos]
-Why is it relevant whether the irregularity is in the stem or the ending? Eventually
you pronounce a different thing, so push comes to shove the actual words you emit are
different. I don't quite see the relevance of this comment.

Principal parts!

-You're missing a big issue here. French ORTHOGRAPHY was not updated. Remove that from
the equation and things suddenly start making a lot more sense.

How?

-What is wrong ......

Then why is redundancy completely absent in the rest of the world's languages?

-Does it matter that it does?
Yes, because it confirms what I said is true. And the idea these features are normal is the very reason why there are fewer excellent "Iversen" "Emk" and "Medulin" types in the world and far more "S_Allard" "Fnord" types.

-I thought healthy referred to there being a significant number of speakers.

What languages in the world must inflect adjectives to agree with nouns? Some don't have adjectives like Arabic where nouns are used and Japanese which use verbs and nouns. What languages have so many decaying inconsistent paradigms, so many competing methods, so many random extensions, useless agreements, so many archaism that refuse to die, so much returns to bad habits such as aspect pairs and more that cause nearby languages to do so as well.

Proto Finnish/Estonian did not inflect adjectives, but now they do so an extra 3 parts to memorize for Estonian because IE! Chechen too but both are the smallest offenders, they only need remove Indo European influence and they would not be so misshapen. Russian for example could not still be Russian with the same treatment.

You do know how irregular Latin adjectives are? those irregularities are not from sound changes, they are clearly the very definition of the problem all Indo European language possess or used to possess.

Edited by Stolan on 27 August 2014 at 8:44pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 197 of 211
27 August 2014 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:

Principal parts!

Don't know what that is, don't care. The point is that people pronounce in chunks. When
I speak, I don't think in morphemes and analytics. It's too complex a process to
operate concomitantly while also trying to speak. So I switch off the analysis for the
most part and simply speak automatically, and the chunks that come out are not "je...
vais... manger" but simply j'vais manger (chunk), tu viens manger (chunk)avec moi
(chunk), I might even say "tu viens avec?" (it's Belgian). I analyse language in this
type of phrase and what I utter is analysed in the context of that phrase. Not in terms
of its constituent parts. What matters is the chunk that I utter in order to get my
message across.

Quote:
How?

French not dropping pronouns is forced by the fact that in speech, most verb endings
are the same phonetically speaking (as discussed above), but written differently. If
French orthography reflected its phonology better that would be a lot clearer and the
discrepancy would be much less noticeable.

But you already know all of that!

Quote:
Then why is redundancy completely absent in the rest of the world's languages?

It's not. Why does Korean have classifiers? You could simply say "two book" and it'd be
good enough. Why do they have to have a different classifier for book? Or even one at
all? Redundancy. All good systems build in buffer zones to specify more clearly in case
the context is not obvious enough.

Language is not a theoretical framework that you can simply force on people and strip
of all regularities, because it's a human construct that is subject to human habits and
priorities. Even Esperanto is subject to this, and it's a conlang. Otherwise, we should
all simply speak Lojban. But we don't.

Quote:
-Does it matter that it does?
Yes, because it confirms what I said is true. And the idea these features are normal is
the very reason why there are fewer excellent "Iversen" "Emk" and "Medulin" types in
the world and far more "S_Allard" "Fnord" types.

This is just such a non-sequitur I don't even know where to start.

Quote:
What languages in the world must inflect adjectives to agree with nouns? Some
don't have adjectives like Arabic where nouns are used and Japanese which use verbs and
nouns. What languages have so many decaying inconsistent paradigms, so many competing
methods, so many random extensions, useless agreements, so many archaism that refuse to
die, so much returns to bad habits such as aspect pairs and more that cause nearby
languages to do so as well.

Indo-European languages, because that is what they do and because IE languages clearly
decided not to adhere to arbitrary Stolan standards of correctness. For the record, I
enjoy aspect pairs - they provide me with the tools to make certain distinctions that
otherwise would be left to context. In fact, that's how I see all these features; I use
them to make explicit certain assumptions that would be left implicit in languages that
are more context-dependent like Mandarin. I'm sorry, but if you're going to make bad
blanket statements about grammar tendencies (aspects are bad habits? What the feck?)
you have to look at the other side of the coin.

Quote:
Proto Finnish/Estonian did not inflect adjectives, but now they do so an extra 3
parts to memorize for Estonian because IE! Chechen too but both are the smallest
offenders, they only need remove Indo European influence and they would not be so
misshapen. Russian for example could not still be Russian with the same treatment.

You do know how irregular Latin adjectives are? those irregularities are not from sound
changes, they are clearly the very definition of the problem all Indo European language
possess or used to possess.

Well, I guess you won't study Chechen then. Poor life the Chechens must have.
5 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 198 of 211
28 August 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I confess that I can't follow the discussion on French verb morphology. I'll restrict my comments to some points
more relevant to the thread.

emk wrote:
s_allard wrote:
There is no doubt that the more exposure you get, the better you will become,
but it's not a straight line. I
believe that unless one has plenty of corrective feedback, one will inevitably fossilize and continue producing
errors. This is why people will maintain a non-native accent all their lives in spite of being surrounded by French.

Personally, I appreciate corrections, and I believe that they help me. Many foreign language students and teachers
would agree. However, there's a fair bit of Second Language Acquisition research that suggests that the benefits
of correction are largely illusory—and some other research which says correction can help. For a good summary
and links to further studies, see this article for
language teachers
:

Quote:
The topic of error correction in the second language (L2) classroom tends to spark
controversy among both language teachers and L2 acquisition researchers. Teachers
may have very strong views about error correction, based on their own previous L2
learning experiences, or they may be more ambivalent, particularly if they have been
following the debate among L2 researchers on the topic. Depending on which journal
articles a teacher reads, he or she will find error correction described on a continuum
ranging from ineffective and possibly harmful (e.g., Truscott, 1999) to beneficial (e.g.,
Russell & Spada, 2006) and possibly even essential for some grammatical structures
(White, 1991).

There may be some debate about the effectiveness about forms of error correction in the classroom environment
but I believe that there is absolutely no doubt that at the individual level, i.e. one-on-one instruction, coaching or
some form of individual editing, error correction or critical feedback is not only effective, it is downright
essential.

I would think that nearly all performance artists, athletes, authors and professionals in many fields work with
coaches, editors, mentors, critics or advisors --whose role is to provide feedback and advice. Every article in a
good newspaper is read by at least three different people. Ditto for any serious magazine. Every major author
works with an editor. What professional golfer does not have a swing coach? How does an actor work on
acquiring a dialect for a role? If an adult language learner wants to acquire a native-like accent, this will most
likely require the services of an accent reduction specialist and lots of daily work.

Anybody who has seen a masterclass given by a great music teacher or musician will know that individual
constructive criticism and error correction are essential for improvement.

Similarly, it is not important to have everything you write proofread by a native speaker. On the other hand, I'm
sure for certain things, as emk has rightly pointed out, you either have a native speaker write the original or have
your writing checked.

The same could be said of preparing for the writing part of language tests such as the CEFR. Since you know that
you will be asked to write, let's say, a 400-word essay on a topic, I think that you would prepare for this test by
actually writing some practice essays and have them corrected by a tutor. This does not preclude tons of input of
all kinds, but this will not replace actually producing writing that will be corrected in collaboration with a good
tutor or coach.

As for developing a system of using percentages for productive skills like writing and speaking, I agree that it
probably isn't worth the effort when the current systems of assessment work quite well.

As a matter of fact, using percentages for estimating comprehension based on feeling in my opinion is not
necessarily a bad thing. It makes people feel more comfortable and they can use them for personal
benchmarking. But this is not the same as measuring.

The problem is that there is no form of external assessment. When someone says they understand a text 100%,
there is no way to know what and how that person actually understands. If that person says they understand six
sentences out of ten, can we know what the person really understands and does not understand?

As has been discussed endlessly here, a common approach to assessing understanding, outside the world of
professional language testing, is to count words. For reasons that I won't repeat here, I think this approach is at
best illusory. It confuses vocabulary coverage with understanding and, above all, it ignores very fundamental
issues of grammaticality.

1 person has voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3842 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 199 of 211
28 August 2014 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

Can you name a single non-Indo European or IE influenced language that inflects adjectives inconsistently for case
number and gender, has derivational morphology in place of inflectional, and is filled with broken syntactical
redundancy? French conjugation only adds irregularity, it just sits there as a feature to brag about.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 200 of 211
28 August 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 

When we write or speak, our mistakes are visible or audible. Often we can correct them. I write very quickly and
often make mistakes here and end up going having to correct them, often with some embarrassment. But at least
I and others can see my mistakes. When I say I understand something how do I know that I'm not making a
mistake? I can't know. After all, I'm convinced that I understand. There's no way for somebody to point out my
mistaken understanding of something.

This is not a problem when I'm reading something with really technical or exotic terminology where I have no
clue. Then I can safely say that I don't understand. But it's more of a problem when the words are quite common,
as in a piece of literature. For example, I have mentioned in another thread that I recently read the novel Mike
and Psmith by the great British writher P.G. Wodehouse. This book, written in 1907, revolves around life in a
British boarding school and the game of cricket. Here is a paragraph talking about a game:

"Psmith had always disclaimed any pretensions to batting skill, but he was undoubtedly the right man for a crisis
like this. He had an enormous reach, and he used it. Three consecutive balls from Bruce he turned into full-
tosses and swept to the leg-boundary, and, assisted by Barnes, who had been sitting on the splice in the usual
manner, he raised the total to seventy-one before being yorked, with his score at thirty-five. Two minutes later
the innings was over, with Barnes not out sixteen, for seventy-nine."

There are 88 words and four sentences in this paragraph. The only word that I had never seen before in my life
was "yorked". Here is the Oxford dictionary definition:

(Of a bowler) bowl out (a batsman) with a ball that pitches under the bat.

If I try to estimate my understanding of this passage in percentages, I don't really know where to begin. The very
first sentence seemed clear enough. The others were problematic because of what was evidently cricket
terminology. I knew all the words, but I really didn't know what the author was talking about. And more
importantly, even when I found the terminology in the dictionary I really didn't know the significance in the
context. For example, I never really understood what "Two minutes later, the innings was over, with Barnes not
out sixteen, for seventy-nine." meant. Was that good or bad?

Did I understand 25% - one sentence out of four? If I counted the terminology words, maybe I could claim I
understood about 80% of this text. Of course, I would call the whole thing Some understanding and simply skim
over the whole passage. Normally, something like this is not that important in the grand scheme of things, but
this is the last chapter of the book and the cricket game plays a pivotal role in the ending. I eventually
understand that the good guys win but I still don't understand how.

My problem of course was not knowing the game of cricket. Knowing the words without knowing the game was
basically useless. How much did I understand the last chapter? Not much I fear, but I did enjoy the ending.

This discussion contains 211 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version