Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 57 of 211
09 August 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS wrote:
I'm sorry to keep harping on this issue, so I'll try not to be too long and not to repeat myself.
And I'll shut up after this, if this line of discussion isn't appreciated or helpful.

Apologies if it sounds like I'm trying to say certain discussions should or shouldn't be had. I just think perhaps a
lot of different issues are being lumped together with the idea that one single answer exists for all of them. I
think things like "what skills should a learner be aware of to make sure they are actually understanding things
they read", "what are some useful ways a learner can convey their level of comprehension to other learners", and
"how should test makers format their test to create useful measures of different skill levels" are fundamentally
different questions that require different sorts of answers.

I agree with most of these observations. One of the reasons I believe that comprehension is not measurable
exactly is precisely this difficulty of defining what comprehension is. But since comprehension, however it is
defined, is an important element in any discussion of the effectiveness of methods of language learning, I prefer
the broad categories that I've mentioned: Nothing, Some and All. I'll leave the more subtle subcategories to other
observers.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 58 of 211
10 August 2014 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
In a recent class discussion on complexity and understanding of written language, I looked at an excerpt from
quite an interesting book They Laughed When I Sat Down, An informal history of advertising in words and
pictures. The author is Frank Rowsome, Jr. Here is the first paragraph of the Acknowledgments:

"This book proposes neither to attack nor defend advertising. To assail an activity on which billions of dollars are
spent annually would call, at the very least, for rolling up the polemic sleeves and spitting on the polemic hands:
and to defend billions of dollars seems supererogatory, like being in favour of the west wind. Instead, the
objective here is to examine informally how a single segment of the industry, magazine advertising, grew in
America in the years between the Civil War and World War II. No oxen are gored, no moments erected."

It should be pointed out that the book was published in 1959 and this is reflected in the writing style.

There are 95 words in this paragraph. How well do non-native speakers of English understand this text? As a
matter of fact, how well do native speakers of English understand it?

Actually, the text is straight-forward and most people got the gist of it. The only unusual word is
supererogatory 'unnecessary'.

It was when trying to translate this into French, especially spontaneously without a dictionary, that certain issues
of understanding arose. There were long discussions on how to render "call for, at the very least, rolling up the
polemic sleeves and spitting on the polemic hands", "being in favour of the west wind", and "No oxen was gored,
no monument erected."

I'll skip all the details, but much of the discussion centred on what what essential to understanding this text and
what could be ignored. For example, the last line 'No oxen gored, no monument erected' could be safely ignored.

Now, how to measure or test for comprehension of this paragraph?

Edited by s_allard on 10 August 2014 at 8:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 59 of 211
10 August 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 

Since I personally know some of the people behind the Canadian federal government official languages tests, I
have an idea of their thinking and their strategies for testing of comprehension. As I understand it, the idea is not
to measure comprehension per se but instead assess what the user can do in terms of reaction to a written text.
In other words, if the test-taker has understood the text correctly, they are able to answer certain questions. How
they go about understanding is basically irrelevant. What counts is ultimately how well this future government
employee will be able to do their job in the second language.

This, by the way, is a fundamental component of the CEFR perspective in assessing language proficiency. It's
what people can do with the language that is important not the language in itself.

For those people who think these tests are easy and one can easily guess one's way through, I'll remind them that
their are 60 questions that must be answered in 90 minutes. And the texts get progressively harder, that is more
complex, more subtle and longer. Note that there are 10 pilot or dummy tests that are used for research by the
test makers.

These are assessment tests. Everybody gets the same number of questions, and it's the number of right answers
that determine one's level. Here is a condensed version of the official document:

"SLE-Test of Reading Comprehension in the Second Official Language

The SLE - Test of Reading Comprehension in the Second Official Language assesses the ability to understand
texts written in your second official language.

In this test, you are presented with a number of texts (e.g., e-mails, notes, letters, information bulletins, excerpts
from reports, research papers). Your task is to read each text carefully and respond to the questions by selecting
the best answer to each question.

There are a total of 60 multiple-choice questions of two different types in this test:

Fill in the blank; and
Answer the question.
Of the 60 questions, 50 will count towards your score. Ten (10) questions are pilot questions that will not count
towards your score. The questions comply with the test’s specifications and have been approved for inclusion by
a multidisciplinary team of subject-matter experts. While these questions will not count towards your final score,
they may be used in future versions of this test.

You will have 90 minutes to complete all the questions on the test, in addition to 20 to 30 minutes for
administration.

Example questions
There are two types of questions in this test. Examples of texts with these types of questions can be found after
the descriptions.

Question type 1
For this type of question, you will see a blank line. Choose the best word or group of words to complete the
sentence from among the four response options.

Question type 2
For this type of question, you will see a question about a text. Choose the response option that best answers the
question.

EXAMPLES of question type 1
Expéditeur : Pat Bégin
Destinataire : Liste des employées et des employés
Objet : Système informatique de gestion des congés

Bonjour,

Veuillez ______(A) que le Système informatique de gestion des congés ne sera pas disponible demain. Vous
pourrez accéder de nouveau à votre compte dès mardi prochain. Vous devrez alors ______(B) vos soldes de
congés pour l’année prochaine.

Pat Bégin

1. Choisissez le mot ou le groupe de mots le plus approprié à insérer dans l'espace en blanc « A ».

voir
marquer
laisser
noter
In this case, answer choice four best completes the text. Therefore, you would select number four.

2. Choisissez le mot ou le groupe de mots le plus approprié à insérer dans l'espace en blanc « B ».

augmenter
confirmer
manipuler
ignorer
In this case, answer choice two best completes the text. Therefore, you would select number two.

EXAMPLES of question type 2
Communiqué concernant le dépôt du Rapport annuel du ministère

Le Ministère des finances a terminé le 30 avril dernier son Rapport annuel. Ce rapport couvre toutes les activités
des ministères et des agences du gouvernement fédéral en vertu de la nouvelle Loi sur les finances dans la
fonction publique (LFFP). Dans ce rapport, les statistiques récentes de la dernière année fiscale sur les dépenses
de la fonction publique fédérale montrent de meilleurs résultats. Plus exactement, 90% des ministères et des
agences se soumettent à leurs engagements financiers conformément à la loi, une hausse de 6% par rapport à
l’année précédente.

3. Selon le texte, que montrent les statistiques?

le pourcentage de conformité à la LFFP devrait diminuer l’an prochain
la majorité des ministères et des agences respectent la LFFP
le pourcentage de conformité à la LFFP ne devrait pas s’accroître l’an prochain
la plupart des ministères et des agences ne respectent pas la LFFP
In this case, answer choice two is the best answer. Therefore, you would select number two.

4. Que dit le texte sur le respect de la LFFP en général?

Il est en augmentation.
Il est en réduction.
Il est en stagnation.
Il est en alourdissement.
In this case, answer choice one is the best answer. Therefore, you would select number one."

shapd
United Kingdom
Joined 5959 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 60 of 211
13 August 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
I have come a bit late to this discussion but would like to point out that the professional linguists who study the number of words needed for comprehension do not try to assess the percentage of a text which can be understood, which has been the focus of this thread. Read the freely available papers on Paul Nation's home page.

What he has done is to present a group of learners with a series of texts with different numbers of words that they do not know (read the papers for details of how he assesses that). He then asks them to summarise the argument or the story that has been given. From that he can work out what percentage of unknown words prevents accurate reproduction of the story i.e. what is the minimum percentage of known words required for accurate extensive reading without a dictionary - almost the opposite of the original question here.

Note that Nation's group do not expect to be able to assess in a simple study like this the more subtle aspects discussed here like knowledge of grammatical peculiarities or the associations that words express. They are only interested in whether a word is correctly interpreted in a given context.

He has come up with a figure of at least 95% known words and preferably 98% before even the weaker students can understand a text. So if you skim a text and find that it has significantly fewer words that you recognise, you will not be able to get more than a rough idea of its content without study.

It is generally recognised that it is much more difficult to assess active skills scientifically, and it is much more subjective. However, there are CEFR interviews available on the web at different grades and it is quite obvious that there is a clear difference between A, B and C - and yes both increasing sophistication in use of grammar and wider vocabulary are seen at each stage.

On a slightly different point, S Allard's frequent statements about knowing the idiomatic uses of common words are usually addressed by regarding them as set phrases in their own right to be treated as any other special vocabulary, not as extensions of the basic meaning.
8 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 61 of 211
13 August 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
shapd wrote:
I have come a bit late to this discussion but would like to point out that the professional
linguists
who study the number of words needed for comprehension do not try to assess the percentage of a text which
can be
understood, which has been the focus of this thread. Read the freely available papers on Paul Nation's home
page.

What he has done is to present a group of learners with a series of texts with different numbers of words that
they do
not know (read the papers for details of how he assesses that). He then asks them to summarise the argument or
the
story that has been given. From that he can work out what percentage of unknown words prevents accurate
reproduction of the story i.e. what is the minimum percentage of known words required for accurate extensive
reading without a dictionary - almost the opposite of the original question here.

Note that Nation's group do not expect to be able to assess in a simple study like this the more subtle aspects
discussed here like knowledge of grammatical peculiarities or the associations that words express. They are only
interested in whether a word is correctly interpreted in a given context.

He has come up with a figure of at least 95% known words and preferably 98% before even the weaker students
can
understand a text. So if you skim a text and find that it has significantly fewer words that you recognise, you will
not
be able to get more than a rough idea of its content without study.

I think that the paper being referred to here is "
Unknown Vocabulary Density and Reading
Comprehension
" by Marcella Hu Hsueh-chao and Paul Nation. In this study, students are presented with
texts containing different percentages of nonsense words and are then tested with a) multiple choice tests and b)
cued recall tests.

If this is the right paper, the researchers do not ask the test takers to summarise the argument of the story. If
this is not the right paper, I would appreciate the correct reference.

The authors conclude: "This study shows that the density of unknown words has a marked effect on reading
comprehension...This (research) provides support for the position taken by Hirsch and Nation (1992) namely that
learners need to have around 98% coverage of words of a text to be able to read for pleasure."

It should be noted that the text in question was a piece of fiction.

What I found interesting in the conclusion was the next paragraph that begins as follows:

"This conclusion must not be interpreted as say that with 98% coverage of the vocabulary no other skills or
knowledge are needed to gain adequate comprehension. All of the subjects in this study were readers in their
first language, had considerable knowledge of English grammar, were experienced in reading English, and
brought considerable background knowledge to their reading. These all contribute to their skill in
comprehending text and account for some learners reading the 95% and 90% versions getting high scores.
However, as readability studies show, vocabulary knowledge is a critical component in reading."

I certainly agree with the observations of this study. As I have mentioned, word counting methods, of which Paul
Nation is certainly the most well known exponent, can have all kinds of uses, especially for language teaching.
Nation's work has focused on vocabulary size necessary for comprehension and not on measuring
comprehension.

Edited by s_allard on 13 August 2014 at 4:52pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 62 of 211
13 August 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
shapd wrote:
It is generally recognised that it is much more difficult to assess active skills scientifically, and it is much more
subjective. However, there are CEFR interviews available on the web at different grades and it is quite obvious
that there is a clear difference between A, B and C - and yes both increasing sophistication in use of grammar
and wider vocabulary are seen at each stage.

I disagree with this assertion that "It is generally recognised that it is much more difficult to assess active skills
scientifically, and it is much more subjective." Where is this written? I think the the reality is exactly the opposite.
The reason active skills are easier to assess is that they are observable. We can read a person's writing and listen
to a recording of their speech whereas we have to resort to indirect methods of trying to "measure" a person's
reading and listening comprehension.

As a matter of fact, shapd rightly points out that the sample CEFR interviews show different levels of productive
skills. There are no videos of people demonstrating different grades of reading or listening comprehension.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5118 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 63 of 211
13 August 2014 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps the reason I am happy with "comprehension based on word count" is that I count myself A LOT and I have a pretty concrete idea of how much comprehension each % figure represents. Sort of like how the weather report tells you it's 20*C / 68*F tomorrow, and you will interpret for yourself how cold that is and whether you'd need a jacket, based on your past experience.

And I count myself a lot because it's excellent motivation to see the number improve. And because I'm an accountant.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 64 of 211
13 August 2014 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
shapd wrote:
On a slightly different point, S Allard's frequent statements about knowing the idiomatic uses of common words
are usually addressed by regarding them as set phrases in their own right to be treated as any other special
vocabulary, not as extensions of the basic meaning.

My insistence on the importance of idiomatic expressions using common words is based on contemporary work
in applied linguistics on what is called formulaic language. This includes the well known things like phrasal verbs
in English, collocations, idioms, metaphors and proverbs. It's definitely not as simple as treating these things as
set phrases. For example, how does one distinguish between Get to the bottom of the hill and Get to the bottom
of a scandal?

As a matter of fact, it is interesting to note that in his study of the vocabulary of
IELTS Speaking Testtest candidates, Paul Nation
concludes:

"It showed that the sophistication in vocabulary use of high-proficiency candidates was characterised by the
fluent use of various formulaic expressions, often composed of high-frequency words, perhaps more so than any
noticeable amount of low-frequency words in their speech."

For those readers who still believe that high-proficiency means large vocabulary, here you have it from the expert
himself. It's not necessarily the number of different words that count, it's the "fluent use of various formulaic
expressions, often composed of high-frequency words", i.e. ordinary simple words, that is the indicator of
proficiency.

This discussion contains 211 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version