Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 25 of 211
08 August 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
The entire point of extensive reading is that it takes all of these words that are more-or-less decipherable, and it
provides dozens of examples of how they're used. Even an error like clocher and cloche will eventually
correct itself.

Unfortunately, I've reached the point where many of my vocabulary problems are things like contrefort
"buttress, foothill" and clocher "steeple." These words appear so infrequently that it's hard to acquire them
naturally without reading millions of words. (Neither of these words appear in Routledge's frequency dictionary at
all, unfortunately, so I can't estimate how often they appear in a typical corpus.) And this is why I believe that
tools like Anki remain useful for advanced learners who want to work on low-frequency vocab.

I'm certainly in favour of lots of extensive reading. One can't be against virtue. I'm not so sure that mistakes will
eventually work themselves out. Often mistakes become set and very hard to get rid of.

Where i disagree with emk's statement here is that at an advanced level, vocabulary problems are with rare
words like clocher and contrefort. In my opinion, this is only partly true. Another challenge is learning to use the
rare but effective uses of common words. For example, you could take the top 25 non-function words and
discover some less common uses that one will find in literary or formal contexts.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 211
08 August 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Comprehension mistakes are usually less persistent, especially if you don't translate but just vaguely look at the word and think of the possible meaning. If it's important enough, sooner or later you'll see a context that points out your mistake, or forces you to look up the word.

Rare usage of the common words tends to fix itself over time as well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3639 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 211
08 August 2014 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
In fact "clocher" is a common word, if you live in a little village in France (you see it everyday, and probably see the birds on it, hear the bell, etc), or if you watch the midday news report on the 1st chanel (les infos de 13h sur TF1): they regularly make reports of how scandalous it is to let the old churchs falling apart because of the lack of money, bla bla bla...
"contrefort" is indeed rare.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 28 of 211
08 August 2014 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
I have said that comprehension is unmeasurable. I should take that back. I should have said that comprehension
is unmeasurable by counting words.

In first language education, testing of reading comprehension in children is a major field of research and all
kinds of tests are available. All these tests involve reading sample passages and answering some questions. The
kinds of questions vary: cloze, multiple choice, open ended.

In foreign language testing such as in the CEFR, there are, of course, reading comprehension tests. All of these
tests are based on testing for content of sample texts. Evaluating something like comprehension of literary
fiction has its own complications.

Here is an example of guidelines for some Canadian government tests:

"The reading comprehension test is composed of a series of 27 short texts, grouped according to their expected
level of difficulty starting with the easiest texts. Each text is followed by four alternative answers from which you
must choose only one. The reading comprehension test lasts 50 minutes.

Example:

Monsieur Paul Rivest, qui a dirigé le service au cours des huit dernières années, prendra une retraite bien méritée
le 30 juin prochain après trente et une années de service dans une variété de postes. Je pense que cet événement
mérite d'être fêté et je recevrai vos suggestions à ce sujet jusqu'à vendredi prochain.

Selon ce texte,

a: M. Rivest dirige le service depuis sa création.
b: M. Rivest sera fêté vendredi prochain.
c: M. Rivest est invité à une fête en son honneur.
d: M. Rivest est le directeur actuel du service.

Correct answer: d) "

Nowhere in the field of language assessment do we see comprehension tests based on word counting. Word
counting counts words; it does not assess comprehension.

There is a whole other legitimate field of vocabulary size assessment.

Edited by s_allard on 08 August 2014 at 10:11pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5105 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 29 of 211
08 August 2014 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The reading comprehension test is composed of a series of 27 short texts, grouped according to their expected
level of difficulty starting with the easiest texts. Each text is followed by four alternative answers from which you

And if I got all questions correct, how much did I understand the texts? 100%? Maybe, or maybe I was just lucky, or maybe they were just asking easy questions on a difficult text. And who understands poetry 100%? Its author? Comprehension based on word count seems more comprehensible to me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 30 of 211
08 August 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
s_allard wrote:
The reading comprehension test is composed of a series of 27 short
texts, grouped according to their expected

And if I got all questions correct, how much did I understand the texts? 100%? Maybe, or maybe I was just lucky,
or maybe they were just asking easy questions on a difficult text. And who understands poetry 100%? Its author?
Comprehension based on word count seems more comprehensible to me.

Let's try to imagine a reading comprehension test based on word counting. In fact, let's take the example from
the Canadian government test.

After the student is given a certain amount of time to read the paragraph, the computer displays every word of
sample and gives the student the following choices:

1. Have never seen it
2, Have seen it but do not know what it means
3, Know a definition
4, Could use it in a sentence.

The results are compiled and we have the numbers of each category. Considering that there is no way to tell if
the student is telling the truth, does this tells us better that the student has understood the text than if we ask
content questions?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 211
08 August 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Yes, honest self-assessment doesn't work with unmotivated school kids who just want to pass/get a good grade and not actually to learn the language.

It works just fine here on HTLAL though. In this sense it's more similar to an anonymous alcoholics support group ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 32 of 211
08 August 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yes, honest self-assessment doesn't work with unmotivated school kids who just want to pass/get a good grade and not actually to learn the language.

It works just fine here on HTLAL though. In this sense it's more similar to an anonymous alcoholics support group ;)

My name is Rick, and I'm a lang-a-holic.

This discussion contains 211 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version