Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 9 of 86
02 December 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Today:
4 or 5 pages of grammar exercises, mostly future simple/proche
1 x Assimil, which was interesting lesson but I got a fail mark on the fill-in-the blanks exercises (the e-method
scores you automatically). Which is actually good because I like the way Assimil ramps up reasonably quickly.
Glossika Day 3
Three pages of Hunger Games, reading and listening along to the audiobook

I saw on the back of one of the grammar books "Photocopillage tue la livre" and learnt 'photocopillage' is a
portmanteau (the word for portmanteau in French is not 'portmanteau'!) of 'photocopy" and "pillage" meant to
discourage illicit distribution. I wonder if there is a mot-valise of photocopy+torrenting ........

And now I am going to watch the film Jersey Boys dubbed in French.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3818 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 10 of 86
02 December 2014 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Redflag,

If you are able to read the Hunger Games in French and watch French TV with subtitles, have you
considered joining the Super Challenge? I have seen a great improvement in my reading and listening skills,
and strangely enough, my speaking skills, since starting. For a full challenge, once must read 100 50 page
"books", and watch 100 90 minute movies. It started in May 2014 and goes through December 2015, so we
are not quite half way through. You can still sign up, and do just a half challenge if you want. Just sign up in
the Super Challenge thread forum if you want to join the fun.

Edited for my Senior Moment which Jeffers politely pointed out below -- a film is 90 minutes not 75.

Edited by Mohave on 02 December 2014 at 8:53pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 86
02 December 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
The Super Challenge is a great idea, and it's a lot of fun to share and track your successes. However, a film is 90 minutes, not 75.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3818 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 12 of 86
02 December 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
The Super Challenge is a great idea, and it's a lot of fun to share and track your
successes. However, a film is 90 minutes, not 75.

Thank you! I know that, just had a senior moment! Thanks for getting this corrected!!

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 13 of 86
02 December 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't say I'm able to read something like Hunger Games, I can only get a basic gist without stopping every
ten seconds to look things up. Just got bored of graded readers, I guess.

But that you for bringing up the challenge/s. I like that sort of thing but admit even though I've been lurking here a
long time I find them a bit bewildering, where to start? what to do? etc. There are so many different threads. There
is a six week challenge starting Feb1 which I think I'll use for Indonesian so that's a definite.

The Super Challenge seems pretty overwhelming but why not? I plan on watching these films and reading these
books anyway so might as get some virtual kudos for them. ;-)   I assume if I watch 2 episodes of Un village français
which is 1hr50m together I can count that as 1 "film"?

I watched half of Jersey Boys last night will do the rest tonight, continue to be confused by why the subtitles are so
different to what's being spoken. I mean obviously there is limited space so paraphrasing is something required. By
why put "Comment ça va?" when the bloke clearly says "Enchante"??   Anyway, I got the gist of the thing which is
main thing.   Last night I also did the first lesson in Pimsleur Phase 2.

Just had my 45 min Skype class this morning. The subjunctif. Will do that homework today.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 14 of 86
03 December 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
I assume if I watch 2 episodes of Un village français
which is 1hr50m together I can count that as 1 "film"?

The simplest approach is just to put in the time, and the bot adds it up. That way you can include shows with shorter episodes as well, and don't have to go mental (did I watch 3 or 4?) The main thing to keep in mind for video is that you can't count anything less than 15 minutes (so "Parole de chat" doesn't count), and reading subs in your target language don't count as reading (LOL!)

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 15 of 86
04 December 2014 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the encouragement, I've signed up to the Super Challenge officially.

Also, Parole de Chat - MDR!!

redflag
Australia
Joined 3653 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 16 of 86
06 December 2014 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Watched a film with French dubbing/French subtitles - "Tammy" with Melissa McCarthy and Susan Sarandon. Over
on the Super Challenge thread they are discussing learning slang and swear words - well, I learnt three from this.
"Bon sang", "la vache" and "connard" (various variation on the last one.) There were also a lot of 'merdes' and
'putains' but I knew those already. ;-)

Did class with my teacher today, ironing out some problems I was having with the subjunctive. Done my Assimil and
Glossika daily, although I've decided to do the GSR day by day one starting from the second book to increase my
exposure to less well known forms.

I'm only about 12 days away from completing the Cleverdeck French vocab app. Today is my 80th straight day of
doing 30 new words a day (although with cognates and the already known, it's never 30 absolutely new words.). It's
a SRS app but the best one I've found. I like SRS and flashcards but have found some of the ones with more user
modification ability to be too finnicky and really I just lose interest. And the ones I hand write on index cards tend to
end in a clump at the bottom of my bag .... Just give me something already done and simple and useful and I'll do
it. Cleverdeck also has lovely pictures which are sometimes quite amusing, it's a small thing but it helps. The full
deck is 3,000 words - although not the top 3000 words strictly by frequency since I doubt "artichoke" is in that list
so they've taken a cross section of different categories too.   So I guess "knowing" 3,000 words at least passively is a
pretty good target to hit.

Edited by redflag on 06 December 2014 at 9:04am

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version