Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4828 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 49 of 86
15 January 2015 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Wow, you are already watching Engrenages? You have my admiration, I am sure it will help
you progress a lot, it certainly helped me.

Thanks for your notes on New Caledonia.

By the way, the connection of words living language-dothraki made me smile. Please, let
us know what is the course like :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3661 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 50 of 86
15 January 2015 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm watching but can't understand very much without subtitles, English or French.
With French subtitles I can follow the basic story more or less. Without I'm lost. BBC
has just started broadcasting the latest season with English subs and I also have the
unsubtitled original French so I'm trying to watch the two in tandem and listen to the
dialogue closely.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4855 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 51 of 86
15 January 2015 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
Most of the French books, DVDs etc I plan to get through this year (and one ring in):

I'm jealous of your collection. Having hard copies of books is my favourite—I spend far too much time on the computer or other electronic devices.

Good luck with your studies!

redflag
Australia
Joined 3661 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 52 of 86
16 January 2015 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
It's always a good day when you come across some recent, authentic media with subtitles
to help you get a grip. This is pretty funny http://crooksandliars.com/2015/01/french-
television-show-eviscerates-fox

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3436 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchA2
Studies: Polish

Message 53 of 86
16 January 2015 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Wow, you are already watching Engrenages? You have my admiration, I am
sure it will help
you progress a lot, it certainly helped me.

Thanks for your notes on New Caledonia.

By the way, the connection of words living language-dothraki made me smile. Please, let
us know what is the course like :-)

I watched all 5 seasons at around a2 some were hardcoded with subs some were not, didn't
have too much of a difference. Perhaps i just like the genre and know the slang a little
more than other genres

redflag
Australia
Joined 3661 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 54 of 86
25 January 2015 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
FRENCH:
Watched a lot of Engrenages with and without English subtitles. This doesn't really count as study since I only learn
a bit here and there but whatevs I do enjoy it so. Just bought the first season of Braquo.

Got back into Duolingo. Yonks ago I raced through the first 1/3 of the French tree until it got to where I couldn't
"intuit" what it was teaching me (reflixive verbs or something I think) it was just frustrating me and stopped. They
have overhauled the progress system, getting rid of the hearts and putting in a progress bar. THIS IS SO MUCH
BETTER. I hated having to go back and start again all the time. So, I've decided to finally finish the tree and set
myself Easter as the deadline. I expect I'll make it long before then.

Doing Babbel, Glossika and exercises from a "Verb Drills" book.

Enrolled in an Alliance Francais class again for March session, they put me in A2.4 - the last A2 tier before B1.

Haven't done any Assimil since before Christmas, I think I might leave it now until I finish Babbel so I'm not
spreading myself too thin.

Got the English version of the Merlin book I am working through - next step is to go back and review all the vocab I
have highlighted and make some kind of list.

INDONESIAN:
The not knowing about what will happen with Indonesian at my workplace is distracting me so I stopped the Teach
Yourself/Colloquial books for now and am just doing Babbel. They don't have much Indonesian content on Babbel
but at least I'm doing something whereas I had let the other methods slide.

Straya
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3436 days ago

57 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchA2
Studies: Polish

Message 55 of 86
25 January 2015 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Hey regflag, have you done alliance francaise before? Ive just signed up and wondering if
you could shed some light on them, if you've done the courses before :)

Its a good idea to set a concrete goal such as learning x before easter, you've inspired
me to do the same :)

redflag
Australia
Joined 3661 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 56 of 86
25 January 2015 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
I did the very first course with AF this time last year.   It was good, I didn't continue there for random life reasons
but I enjoyed it.

Pros: Very professional, well resourced, has its own library, lots of cultural events outside class (in Sydney anyway),
can do two classes (2 hours each, 4 hrs a week for 8 weeks) a week instead of the standard one session/week at
other evening colleges which appeals to me.

Cons: More expensive than others (although to be fair you do get more hours I think so it doesn't work out that
much more, but it's double upfront almost). You have to buy their textbook which is another eighty bucks but it
lasts for a years worth of classes if you do them all consecutively.   

Teaching method fairly traditional, I'm more into the comprehensible input theory these days but I don't have any
concern that it won't be helpful. Some people don't like classes, but I do. Especially at A2.4, I assume the others
will be seasoned French learners (as opposed to the intro class with the dabblers and lots of people dropping out) so
it should be good. I like my Skype lessons but after New Caledonia I really realised I just need to do A LOT more
speaking, even if it's just with other non-native learners so that's why I'm doing the class.

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version