Portugal
Joined 5860 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 89 of 113
15 March 2015 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
@ Expugnator:

I just used your Georgian challenge posts as an example because you've achieved a lot in a short period of time, and that might be frightening to less experienced learners who don't follow your log closely. I could as easily have used Sprachprofi's progress with Hebrew, or last year with Indonesian.

It was a way of saying that we must try to keep beginners motivated. No criticism was implied, quite on the contrary.

@ All:

With this thought in mind, please feel free to post, ask for advice, give advice, etc.

As Expugnator said, we are united by our difficulties. Let's share them and try to find solutions.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4487 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 90 of 113
16 March 2015 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
I think the recent technical difficulties unsubscribed me from updates to this thread. I've been around and posting,
but I didn't realize there had been any activity on this thread.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3943 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 91 of 113
16 March 2015 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm up for any challenges, whether linguistic or cultural! I love learning more about the cultures behind the
languages that you're all learning, and am also interested in learning more about how you're navigating learning less
"popular" languages.

Salamat!

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4934 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 92 of 113
24 March 2015 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Ummm... For those who knows Arabic, which one is the correct way of saying "You are a kind and beautiful woman."?

Anti khoirun wa jamiilunnisaa'.
Anti khoirotun wa jamiilunnisaa'.
Anti khoirun wa jamiilatunnisaa'.
Anti khoirotun wa jamiilatunnisaa'.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5860 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 93 of 113
05 April 2015 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
FIRST QUARTER REPORT

1. Purpose and scope of this summary

Last year, I added this feature to Team Rare's log. I believe that knowing how things are going may help with our motivation. This year, the Team is larger, but I'll try to keep things simple.

2. Team structure

Up to now, we have 18 members from 12 countries, learning 16 languages. Since some members are learning more than one language, there are 26 instances of languages being learned in the team.

As for language families, we have: Indo-European (Albanian, Dutch, Hindi, Persian and Sanskrit), Semitic (Arabic and Hebrew), Kartvelian (Georgian), Austronesian (Hawaiian, Indonesian, Malay and Tagalog), Dravidian (Kannada and Telugu), Uralic (Karelian) and Tai-Kadai (Thai). That's 7.

Regarding scripts: Latin, Arabic, Georgian, Hebrew, Devanagari, Brahmi and Thai (to keep it simple, I grouped variants). That's also 7.

Level-wise, there are quite a few As, along with a few Bs, and just one C.

3. Team progress and cohesion

It's quite difficult to offer mutual support under these conditions. The knowledge is not transferable, even between languages of the same family.

Up to this moment, it's not been easy to find activities appealing to a significant number of team members. I invite you to step up and say "hey, I'd like to do this-and-that". Please. :)

As for the permanence rules, I've decided to be (even more) forgiving. Motivation is hard as it is. We don't need to worry about the "regularity police". However, this "get out of jail card" won't be available forever.

4. Second quarter forecast

Quoting from last year: "As the year progresses, it's usual for our updates to become less frequent. Spring comes, then summer. School years end, we go on vacation. That's just natural."

Based on that, let us know you're still out there. We are here for mutual support.

5. Feedback

This is an "edit" section, designed to incorporate further suggestions.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4487 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 94 of 113
09 April 2015 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
I'm still here, but not getting any email notifications from HTLAL, as I noted before. I'm trying to remember to stop
by this thread every now and then to check if there's been any update.

And for my part, I've been regularly doing Hebrew Assimil (French base). I just finished lesson 24. It's still very easy
for me, but I'm hoping to really ease into and through Assimil as much as I can. I think it's about to really ramp up
on the modern vocabulary, which is a big blind spot for me. Fortunately, it's almost all loanwords from languages I
know or neologisms coined based on ancient vocabulary that I might know, so learning it isn't that painful. I'm also
listening to Hebrew radio on occasion, but not all that regularly.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5355 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 95 of 113
09 April 2015 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Teango signing in too... :)

I've been working away at Hawaiian, and each new chapter completed or speech presented in class brings me that much closer to my goal of reaching an upper intermediate level of proficiency this year.

I'm already much more comfortable with Hawaiian resources (although my listening skills require plenty of work), and I think I'm probably on the cusp of breaking into the low intermediate level right now. It's great to look back on the resources I couldn't make head nor tail of last year, and now realise I can make some sense of it all.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6269 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 96 of 113
10 April 2015 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm still around, too!

My Hebrew Add1Challenge ends tomorrow and I'll do a Day 90 video, but I lost a
significant share of my motivation after that successful Hebrew dinner with Alex
Rawlings, Maria Weidner, my Hebrew tutor and some local friends. Also, this is the hot
period of the Polyglot Gathering and I'm under a lot of stress organizing everything and
not spending nearly enough time studying or reading. :-(

Fortunately I did that Dutch intensive course, so in terms of numbers I'm still well
ahead of where I should be for my yearly goal (241 hours instead 205).

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version