Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4934 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 81 of 113
14 March 2015 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Ummm... Excuse me, I want to join this team to learn Arabic and have even made my log, but the requirement said that we must indicate the level of our target language and I keep seeing people write A0, B2, C1, etc. and I wonder are they the level they talk about as well as what range is each one of them. Can someone tell me what are they, exactly, or at least give a link that explains about them. Once I know in what level my Arabic level is, I am willing to register.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4450 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 82 of 113
14 March 2015 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
A0 is from scratch, A1 is beginner, A2 is ... slightly better beginner, B1 is intermediate, B2 is upper intermediate, C1 is advanced, C2 is near native.

Judging from your log, your current level is A0 and your target looks to be A1.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4934 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 83 of 113
14 March 2015 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Ah, so I am still at the lowest level. Well then, I use this log to register. My target is from A0 to A1.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6269 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 84 of 113
15 March 2015 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Have you all dropped out or are you too busy studying to write updates? ;-)

I just posted a video of my Day 60 in Hebrew. Still making LOTS of mistakes, but I'm
proud of how far I've come:

https://youtu.be/DGIbdn6gOj0

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5355 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 85 of 113
15 March 2015 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Quick update:
Like Elton John's song, I'm still standing... ;) Since the beginning of the year, I've put at least 65 hours into studying Hawaiian (almost an hour a day), have accumulated an active knowledge of about 1,000 words, and am probably fast approaching A2 level on the CEFR scale. Although time is limited with balancing both work and PhD, I absolutely love learning this Polynesian language, especially as it's so very different from any other languages I've studied before. And if all goes well, I intend to take on some intensive intermediate courses at Hawaiʻi University over the summer to bring it to the next level.

@Sprachprofi
It looks like you've made great progress in Hebrew so far, although I bet you must be exhausted after your recent intensive week of Dutch. Keep up the amazing work! :)

Edited by Teango on 15 March 2015 at 5:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5592 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 86 of 113
15 March 2015 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
I love learning Sanskrit, but my progress is slow (if any). I am using Assimil "Sanskrit sans ppeine") and a textbook in
Russian. I went through 19 Assimil lessons.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5860 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 87 of 113
15 March 2015 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Ah, so I am still at the lowest level. Well then, I use this log to register. My target is from A0 to A1.

Welcome to the team. I'm going to add you to the roster. Please take a couple of minutes to read the rules in the first page. Nothing much, really, but it will help you to get in the spirit.

About the levels, they were developed in Europe to try to bring a bit of order to language learning levels. You can see a full description here. We shouldn't really be using the "A0", because when you start learning a language, you're an A1 student, but for the purposes of our team, and given the difficulty of our languages, it's not that big of a deal.

Sprachprofi wrote:
Have you all dropped out or are you too busy studying to write updates? ;-)

I was going to wait a bit more, but I guess now is a moment as good as any.

I think the mood of this team is different from last year's. We do have a lot of beginners, and I tried to stay away from challenges that are of little interest to people learning other languages. For instance, when you do something in your target language as an exercise, the way Expugnator likes (yes, I'm paying attention).

Beautiful as six paragraphs of Georgian (or Arabic, or Hindi) may look to an outsider, the effect wears off pretty quickly. I remember showing off a short story in Arabic to family and friends, and after the mandatory "very pretty" comment from them, I had to restart the conversation. Not much more to comment when you can't read one word, I'm afraid.

With that in mind, I tried the "cultural" side for our first challenges (let's not forget that we have a lot of beginners here). Given the percentage of people that chose to participate, it's safe to say it was not a big success. So, I was giving it a rest.

As for the updates, it will take a bit of time to see who's still with us. Every now and then, I take a little tour and check a few logs. I notice that some haven't been updated since January (that's a bit too much), and that a few others have updates for more mainstream languages. If you joined us with Tibetan, it doesn't matter whether you have weekly entries for French or not, as far as Team Rare is concerned you are not studying your target language.

I hope this hasn't come through as negative, as it wasn't my intention. I'm open to suggestions as how to make this a more dynamic thread. And please, keep on dropping by to tell us how you're doing with your languages.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4965 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 88 of 113
15 March 2015 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
You may not be interested in reading the content of what I write in Georgian, but wouldn't it be interesting to know how I achieved to write it? Which sources I used, which techniques, how often I had to check my early textbooks or simply google what I wrote to see if it is right? What about the feedback I got from natives, what I did with the corrections, how do I plan to work on the mistakes I keep repeating? There is a lot more to discuss between us and our struggles to learn a rare language with shortage of materials than there is between a beginner and an advanced learner of French, for instance, or between someone who is learning Spanish through watching telenovelas and someone who is drilling FSI. More than in other teams, here the journey is more important than the goal. I try to keep writing on my struggles with Georgian in the hope that it will be of help to someone who is going through a similar path. And the logs I participate in more often aren't of people who are learning one of my languages.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version