Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 9 of 113
27 December 2014 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Your comment on prodigal TACers migrating back home for a hopeful blue ribbon did make me laugh, by the way. I'll endeavor to update with posts on a more regular basis here next year ;), (...).

The comment is from a year ago, when I noticed that some people seemed to join TAC just because the name of the language had a nice ring to it. From early on, it was treated as an open bar account: "yeah, we can go to Team X, some friends of mine hang out in there". Well, one can do that, but please come and join us for some luau, from time to time.

Serpent wrote:
Also, are the 60 days counted since any recent log post or since the latest post concerning Team Rare?

It's language-based: any one abandoned for a long period of time will be eliminated. So, if you have three languages with us and stop studying two, you'll remain with us with just one. But if you say "hey, no post on Karelian, but I'm studying it", it counts. It's pretty laid back.

Speaking of many languages, feel free to join with Dutch, if you wish to. It seems it will be a Rare language in 2015.

Also, can you provide a starting level and an objective for Karelian? This is unclear from your post.

Zireael wrote:
I'd really love to get out of the beginner ditch.

Yes, that would be nice. But you need to sink your teeth in some serious materials, and I'm under the impression that this has not happened lately. We'll look into it when you feel ready. In the mean time, it's good to have you aboard.

Edited by Luso on 27 December 2014 at 10:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4964 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 10 of 113
27 December 2014 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
I wonder what resources Serpent has for Karelian. Are they all in Finnish?
Also, there is a lot for Yiddish out there.

I'm in, I am just waiting till January 1st to start everything.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5591 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 11 of 113
27 December 2014 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I will study Sanskrit from beginner (A0-A1) to A2-B1 level.
Here ie a link for my log:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39779

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 113
27 December 2014 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I wonder what resources Serpent has for Karelian. Are they all in Finnish?
Also, there is a lot for Yiddish out there.

There are quite many Russian-based resources. I tried to use them in like 2008 or so, but it was frustrating how they taught a lot of stuff that was already obvious to me and naturally didn't show the differences between Finnish and Karelian.
In 2010 I visited Valamo orthodox monastery (Новый Валаам), and I was pleasantly surprised to find Karelian materials in their shop. They were all Finnish-based... but unfortunately my motivation wasn't the same anymore. I've never been able to get it back to the level of 2008... maybe now? :)

As for Yiddish, I'm wondering whether I can get some passive skills the natural way. So relearning the alphabet and reading. And listening to audiobooks with a corresponding German text, haha. Dream on...

@Luso, please add me with Dutch too :) let's say the levels are A2=>B1, although it's kinda hard to tell. (the ones you listed for Karelian are fine) And I assume I can add another language later, if I feel like I can make a commitment?

..Heck, let's add Indonesian too. I still read tweets in it, and I definitely need to get back to using GLOSS. I was around B1 at some point, but probably not anymore. Let's say A2=>B1 again.

Does it count as an update if you say you have nothing to report for the language? ;D or "not much"? :D Just kidding... maybe.

Edited by Serpent on 27 December 2014 at 6:38pm

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 13 of 113
27 December 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
This is my second TAC. I participated in 2011 with Polish, did little, and dropped out in late spring. A lot has changed since then and now and I'm planning to study Modern Hebrew as my "rare" language in 2015. I'm currently A0 and hope to be A2 by the end of the year.

My log.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4486 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 14 of 113
28 December 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
So I'm currently listed on the TAC sign up page as on the "Other" team for Hebrew, but now there's another Hebrew
learner signed up--assuming no more Hebrew learners join up, I guess I should park my Hebrew log
here?

(I'm probably a good level A2 at least, especially for reading and listening.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 15 of 113
28 December 2014 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'm in, I am just waiting till January 1st to start everything.

I know. I added your name and flags. Give us a thread and objectives when you're ready.

Do you want to do Papiamento with us?

Serpent wrote:
Does it count as an update if you say you have nothing to report for the language? ;D or "not much"? :D Just kidding... maybe.

As I said above, it's pretty laid back. Just try to keep the team in the loop. And don't freak out... at least, not yet.

In any case, taking a long break from learning a difficult language usually means giving up, so I advise against it. Maybe that's not your case, but that's what tends to happen.

Of course, one may have smaller objectives: when I was in Russia, I learned enough Cyrillic to be able to read signs. But I wouldn't want to think of myself as someone who had learned Sanskrit for just six months.

geoffw wrote:
I guess I should park my Hebrew log here?

(I'm probably a good level A2 at least, especially for reading and listening.)

Welcome aboard. Since you didn't set a target, I'm going to put a moderate one of B1. If you think it's too low, let me know.

Do you want to do Dutch with us?

Edited by Luso on 28 December 2014 at 2:31am

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4486 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 16 of 113
28 December 2014 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:

Welcome aboard. Since you didn't set a target, I'm going to put a moderate one of B1. If you think it's too low, let
me know.

Do you want to do Dutch with us?

Awesome. My goal is to work with the language regularly and keep improving. If I'm not at B1 yet, then that's
where I need to go first.

I'm not prepared to commit any study cycles to Dutch right noe, though I'd be happy to kibitz with Dutch learners
and write some occasional Dutch comments. I signed up for Dutch last year mainly to encourage myself not to drop
the language, but I dropped it anyway.

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version