Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3429 days ago

19 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Kannada*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 41 of 113
01 January 2015 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
So as I noted in the general organizational thread earlier today, I will be joining this team with Kannada.

Good luck to all.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 42 of 113
02 January 2015 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
IBEP wrote:
So as I noted in the general organizational thread earlier today, I will be joining this team with Kannada.

Good luck to all.

Welcome. Please provide the link to your log, as well as your starting level and objective, as indicated by the rules in the first page of this thread.

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3695 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 43 of 113
02 January 2015 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
It seems I shall join the team with Hindi as well. My level and aim is A0 to A1+.

IBEP
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3429 days ago

19 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Kannada*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 44 of 113
03 January 2015 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Sorry Luso! I should have read more carefully.

My log is here: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39738

And as for my level: native speaker and fluent, but illiterate and without any grasp of the higher registers of the
languages. I have no idea how to express this on the usual CEFR scale.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4666 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 45 of 113
04 January 2015 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Wow, three people learning Hebrew for TAC this time. It comes as a surprise and makes me want to dig up stuff from my collection of Hebrew resources. Here's some reading practice for you three:

And for those who know German:

Edited by druckfehler on 04 January 2015 at 7:20pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 46 of 113
04 January 2015 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Awesome! Thanks for those photos, I had fun! :D

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 47 of 113
04 January 2015 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
KICKOFF POST

I was going to wait a couple more days, but I see a lot going on in some threads already, and I don't want to prevent you from starting team activities.

My first words for those about to start TAC for the first time all boil down to: don't stress. Really. We are proposing to study some of the most difficult languages available. But for a couple of exceptions, not too long ago this would have been possible only to scholars or people living in location. Even nowadays, resources are available, but the difficulty remains.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. I know there's a couple of people in this team capable of amazing progress within a short period of time. If you, like me, are not one of those, again: don't stress. Instead, learn from them, as they will from you. These structures were set to provide mutual support and encouragement.

To the ones among us already with some experience learning languages, TAC or otherwise, I'd like to invite you to share your knowledge. I know you'd do it anyway, but this is a special team. A great deal of diversity in HTLAL can be achieved by motivating people to learn some of these languages.

Team structure
Up until this moment, we have 17 members, learning 16 languages. Since some of us are learning more than one language in the team, there are 25 instances of languages being learned. There's a lot of language families, scripts, and countries represented. Many hundreds of millions of speakers, too.

Challenges
One way to keep us going is to participate in challenges. They consist in small tasks designed so that the maximum number of team members can participate. I'd like you to start the debate to choose an activity for January. You may want to look at this post from team member Magdalene for inspiration.

The only thing I ask you at this stage is to try to choose subjects that anyone can do. There's a lot of A0's to motivate out there.

I'd like also to point out that challenges are completely optional: if you want to do all or most, that's great. If not, there's no problem. The important is for your studies to progress.

A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE
Admissions to the team are open! In March 2014, I invited one person to join, and she ended up being an asset to the team. If you happen to come across this thread later in the year, send me a PM. If you have any doubts about the way you're going to be received, you can dispel them here.
10 persons have voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3640 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 48 of 113
07 January 2015 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Hello Team Rare.   Just got back from my holidays so prepared to start TAC Indonesian for
earnest and I look forward to dropping by your logs and learning all these incredible
languages vicariously through you! It's going to be hard to keep my wanderlust in check
surrounded by all these lovely languages.

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version