redflag
Australia
Joined 3640 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 17 of 113
28 December 2014 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Hi all.   I'm doing Indonesian for TAC, starting off at A1. As I live in Australia and Indonesia is our closest neighbour
there's more Indonesian resources around than I image in North America, Europe or elsewhere. Several evening
colleges have classes and my local language bookshop has a healthy selection, as does the local library - authentic
materials as it's catering to the Indonesian community itself.

My log is here, it's also for my French study. http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=39662&PN=1&TPN=3

I'll just cut and paste what I put there for Indonesian as a bit of an introduction:

I did a month or so of Indonesian earlier this year but am basically starting from beginner. Doing it for personal
interest reasons but also for work, it's not necessary for work but will potentially be useful.    I think I'll be starting
with Teach Yourself Indonesian or Colloquial Indonesian since the "self-study" book I bought earlier in the year was
really unsatisfactory.

Potentially I will do an evening class at some point but not first thing in the year as I realised the French
conversation class I enrolled in is on the same night as the one I was eyeing.

I have quite a few Indonesian books, kids books, teen books and adults (a John Grisham and a Danielle Steele novel)
and my local library has a large Indonesian collection. I went through the first page of the Grisham book when I was
dabbling in Indonesian before and was pretty amazed at how much headway I could make (with a dictionary of
course) - I don't want to overplay the "easy-ness" claim about Indonesian because no language is easy to achieve
proficiency in but the particular grammar characteristics do mean you can make a lot more headway in the
beginning than most, I think.    

I've also pre-ordered Glossika Indonesian but it's only 25% complete according to their website so I'm not holding
my breath.

Beyond that I've put off thinking much about Indonesian til I get back from my holiday middle of next week.

Edited by redflag on 28 December 2014 at 6:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 18 of 113
28 December 2014 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
Hi all.   I'm doing Indonesian for TAC, starting off at A1.

G'day. Welcome aboard. One Aussie flag coming up. As soon as you give us a target level, that is. How far do you think you'll go with Indonesian this year? A2? B1? Native?

redflag
Australia
Joined 3640 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 19 of 113
28 December 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Ah, sorry! Let's say ... B1.

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3695 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 20 of 113
28 December 2014 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Hello all, nice to be on the team! And thank you Luso for captaining the team!

I am going to study Albanian, I am pretty new at it, an A1 I would guess, but have dabbled in
it for quite some time. Now I decided it was time to actually study it for real. This is my
first TAC. I hope to reach a solid A2 when 2015 draws to an end.

My log is the following: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=39745&PN=1&TPN=1

Looking forward to read your logs about all exciting languages!

P.S. Edited for adding my goal.

Edited by Sooniye on 28 December 2014 at 11:17am

Rem
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3555 days ago

66 posts - 96 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin, Czech, French

Message 21 of 113
28 December 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi. I’m not currently studying any rare languages, but I see that a few people here are
studying ones that I have an interest in and intend to tackle myself further down the
line. I hope you don’t mind if I eavesdrop on your threads occasionally? I think I will
find it useful to see how other people are approaching them. :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4666 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 22 of 113
28 December 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
After failing phenomenally at the three months mark last time, I've decided to give Persian another go this year. While my expectations for what I might achieve are pretty low, it would be lovely to be part of this team so I don't lose sight of the language again. I'll be reusing my old log, now appropriately titled "Stop and Go Persian". Although I don't want to study Persian too seriously, I think your policy of logging at least bi-monthly will help to keep me accountable. I'm simply aiming for keeping engaged with the language and thereby making some subtle progress. My current level is around A1, but I don't really want to set a goal around CEFR levels, if you want to put something down, I'd be comfortable with calling my goal A1+. It would be great if I could finish one out of "Learn Persian with Chai and Conversation", "Sprachkurs Persisch" and "Assimil Le Persan sans Peine", maybe study a few song lyrics. It all depends on how challenging my Korean and other life goals for 2015 will prove to be.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3942 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 23 of 113
29 December 2014 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Kumusta kayo! (Hello / How are you)

If you'll have me, I'd love to join your team!

I started learning Tagalog last spring. My husband is Filipino, and I decided that I'd like to learn enough Tagalog
to participate in dual-language conversations with his family. It's been slow-going so far, but I'm not in any rush.
This fall hasn't been great for language learning. Life got in the way. But I'm ready to jump in again!

current level in Tagalog: A1ish (although - as far as I know - there are no language tests in Tagalog)
goal for 2015: I'd be happy to reach the equivalent of a shaky B1

my TAC15 log

Last year I didn't join Team Rare, in part because of a complete misunderstanding of the word "rare" and in part
because I didn't start learning Tagalog until May. Instead I joined Team Coconut, which completely fizzled and
died. I followed Team Rare as an observer, and I'm really looking forward to learning with all of you this year!

Salamat! (Thank you)

Edited by Stelle on 29 December 2014 at 12:39am

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 24 of 113
29 December 2014 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I'm glad to see the team growing; lots of good logs to follow. And Luso, thank you for captaining the team this year.

May I suggest some ideas for challenges? I liked many of the ones from last year, like the cultural presentations, and I brainstormed a bit today.

Culture-related topics
- Discuss a holiday, festival, or cultural celebration.
- Share a recipe, or just talk about food.
- Talk about a plant or animal (wild or domesticated) that is more common or culturally significant in the country or region of your target language.
- Share a folktale or talk about a mythological being/creature.
- Share a book, movie, and/or TV show in your TL.
- Share a song in your TL. Optional: include a literal translation along with a natural-sounding one.
- Share a poem in your TL. Optional: include a literal translation along with a poetic one.

Language-related topics
- Favorite word(s) in your TL. Optional: include example sentences.
- Spoken slang and, maybe, swearwords.
- Internet slang, textspeak, or chatspeak, e.g. lol, omg, wtf, brb.
- À la Splog, look up conversational connectors, like filler words or transitional phrases, that make one's speech sound more natural.

Meta or study-related topics
- Compare your rare TL to another language you study or have studied. How do you approach the languages differently?
- What are the best and worst resources you've used for your TL?
- What advice would you give a beginner to your TL?

The last two topics would be better to have at the end of the year, after we've spent more time with our rare languages.

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version