821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 49 of 114
13 January 2015 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
Here's a grammar question for you all from Qui Veut Gagner Des Millions?   The
contestants had to go 50/50 to get
it right and then were really not sure. Are you smarter than two French C list celebrities?? (I personally
definitely am
not)

I think it's a trap, I'm going for A
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4470 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 50 of 114
13 January 2015 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Quote:
À la différence de avant que, qui implique une notion d’éventualité, après que, marquant que l’on considère le fait comme accompli, introduit une subordonnée dont le verbe doit être mis à l’indicatif. Je rentrerai après que la nuit sera tombée. Il est parti après que nous l’avons tous salué.

Le passé antérieur employé dans des phrases comme Après que le bateau fut sorti du port, la tempête s’éleva ou On l’applaudit après qu’il eut parlé ne doit pas être confondu avec le plus-que-parfait du subjonctif.

[Unlike avant que, which involves an idea of possibility, après que, indicating that one considers the event as having already taken place, introduces a subordinate clause in which the verb has to be put in the indicative. I will return after night has ("will have") fallen. He left after we had all ("have all") said goodbye to him.

The passé antérieur used in sentences like After the boat had left the port, the storm became stronger or We applauded him after he had spoken should not be confused with the plus-que-parfait du subjonctif.]

http://www.academie-francaise.fr/apres-que

Edited by tastyonions on 13 January 2015 at 4:17pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5196 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 51 of 114
13 January 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I like this example because it demonstrates the theory behind the subjunctive. But unfortunately it is so
common for the French to say B that it's becoming "correct" usage through sheer, brute usage so it becomes
a grammar Nazi sticking point or trick question in dictées and pub quizzes. If you use the indicative in a text
on Lang-8, most correcters will change it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5281 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 52 of 114
14 January 2015 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
I like this example because it demonstrates the theory behind the subjunctive. But
unfortunately it is so
common for the French to say B that it's becoming "correct" usage through sheer, brute usage so it becomes
a grammar Nazi sticking point or trick question in dictées and pub quizzes. If you use the indicative in a text
on Lang-8, most correcters will change it.

That's interesting... Language often changes due to misuse. I'm half expecting 'Yous' or 'You's' to become
part of accepted Australian English at some point. It sounds terrible from the perspective of my judgemental
negative preconceived notions of rough uneducated types that are using it. And yet I find myself saying it
from time to time. Pffft what am I becoming, ghastly! Different to the French situation described above
however, English could do with a plural you-form. I'm just not voting for 'Yous' or 'Y'all' either, but I'm likely to
be outvoted via the power of usage in numbers. Hopefully this doesn't happen here with with confusion in
French regarding the subjunctive as you have demonstrated sctroyenne. Btw thanks for your mention of
ATracker- I'm going to try it out :)

tastyonions
Btw thanks tastyonions for that clarification, my thinking was that 'après que' seemed more definitive than
a hypothetical requiring the subjunctive- I nearly fell for it tho.

Edit: I guess based on sctroyenne's comments this is a good example of how native speakers are often
unaware of grammatical rules/concepts and simply have learned through repetition and exposure- if enough
people within their environment use incorrect grammatical forms, or equally enough exposure to such forms
even via one person who is largely present (eg a child's mother) the the individual is more likely to repeat
those mistakes as they simply releat what they've heard. Education may make them more acutely aware of
their language sufficiently enough to change their bad habit(s).

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 14 January 2015 at 12:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4814 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 53 of 114
14 January 2015 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Catching up on the first challenge:

Username: Cavesa
Level in French: hehe, that is yet to be discovered in my C2 exam in February
Link to log: already gave it
Favourite book: Right now,anything by Pierre Pevel
Favourite comic/BD: Le troisieme testament
Favourite film: Intouchables
Favourite TV series: there are so man, right now: Héro Corp
Favourite band/singer/musician: again many, now for exemple Maitre Gims, Zaz, Indila
Favourite audiobook/podcast: none
Favourite textbook: the Progressive series
Favourite audio learning resource: tv series, presentations with audio at wikinu.fr
Favourite video learning resource: tv series
Favourite web-based learning resource: wikipedia, wikinu.fr
Anything else about your learning journey: I signed up for the DALFC2 and I am scared
as hell :-D

Edited by Cavesa on 14 January 2015 at 11:36pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

fortheo
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 54 of 114
15 January 2015 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
I decided that since I've already been reading various french Logs that I may as well join in on this, hopefully it's not too late!

Username: fortheo
Level in French: High beginner/low intermediate?
Link to log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39926&PN=1&TPN=1
Favourite book: I'll make sure to tell everyone when I can read a whole french book.
Favourite comic/BD:
Favourite film:
Favourite TV series: Les Revenants
Favourite band/singer/musician: I need some recommendations for french singer/songwriters!
Favourite audiobook/podcast:
Favourite textbook: Assimil
Favourite audio learning resource: Assimil
Favourite video learning resource: French in Action
Favourite web-based learning resource:
Anything else about your learning journey: It's been bumpy. I don't seem to be into much native materials yet, hopefully that will change within the next five months.

Edited by fortheo on 15 January 2015 at 3:39am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Fiyero
United States
Joined 3407 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Russian, French

Message 55 of 114
15 January 2015 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Username: Fiyero
Level in French: A2?
Link to log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39925&PN=1
Favourite book: Les Misérables
Favourite comic/BD:
Favourite film:
Favourite TV series: Buffy contre les vampires. J'espere commencer Engrenages bientôt, mais saison 1 n'est
pas disponibles en Netflix.
Favourite band/singer/musician: Céline Dion, Josh Groban
Favourite audiobook/podcast: Learnfrenchbypodcast
Favourite textbook: Assimil
Favourite audio learning resource: Assimil, French in Action
Favourite video learning resource: French in Action
Favourite web-based learning resource: lingvist.io
Anything else about your learning journey: Been studying languages on off for many years, but am no where
near where I want to be. Hoping to finally make the push to reach a useful point with the language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5281 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 56 of 114
15 January 2015 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
Nice to see some more French leaners :)

Fry on!
Know what I'm sayin'?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version