AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5281 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 17 of 114
02 January 2015 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Hey guys,

Thanks Jeffers for getting the team thread started. Thanks luke for chipping in and
Mohave too. I've got a lot on at the moment so I'm just dropping in to say hi and I'll
be back with some more input asap chipping away at things as i find the time here and
there.

Merci Jeffers pour avoir commencé le fil de notre équipe. Merci luke et Mohave pour un
peu d'aide aussi. Je suis très occupé en ce moment, alors pour ça je suis tombé ici
tout simplement pour dire salut à tous et je reviendrai avec plus d'informations quand
j'aurai le temps de temps en temps.

Good luck everyone! Bonne chance tout le monde !

Monsieur le premier ministre PeterMollenburg
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3852 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 18 of 114
02 January 2015 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Hey Tristano, welcome to the team! Your form is amusingly blank, but you can get some
favourites this year, right?

Thanks! Yes, definitely. Arriving to B1 has been a breeze, but the kind of path that I need to jump higher requires
me to go deeper in the language. For sure I will have favourites at the end :)
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7010 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 19 of 114
02 January 2015 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Username: luke
Level in French: intermediate
Link to log: luke log
Favourite book: Le Petit Prince
Favourite comic/BD: Asterix le Galois - the only one I've read, other than Assimil comics.
Favourite film: Amélie which I saw many years ago when I was studying Spanish.
Favourite TV series: Le Petit Nicolas cartoons.
Favourite band/singer/musician: The Replacements
Favourite audiobook/podcast: Le Sens du Bonheur
Favourite textbook: French In Action
Favourite audio learning resource: FSI Basic French
Favourite video learning resource: French In Action
Favourite web-based learning resource: Lingvist
Anything else about your learning journey: I was very fluent, but probably very unusual in word selection in French when I was at Uni going into my third semester (basically year 2). I felt a terrible insult from the prof outside of class in front of a couple of other students and the bloom immediately came off the rose and I dropped French for about 30 years. I'm three years back in, but I've not used my original "talk to yourself constantly in French" approach that was so effective when I was a young man in love with someone who had 4 years of French in high school and tested out of it at Uni.

Edited by luke on 02 January 2015 at 2:06am

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3443 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: French

Message 20 of 114
02 January 2015 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Username: s.mann
Level in French: repeat beginner (A1/A2?) but I need C1 to make this a professional
asset
Link to log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39734
(sorry, don't know how to create a link, will update if I figure it out)
Favourite book: Le Petit Prince is the only one I've read in French
Favourite comic/BD: Not really my genre, but I'll read Asterix le Galois for the exposure
Favourite film: Populaire - popcorny fun
Favourite TV series: Marco Polo - again, the only one I've watched dubbed in French,
and really only watched it because the dub is available streaming from Netflix
Favourite band/singer/musician: Coeur de Pirate
Favourite audiobook/podcast: None as of yet
Favourite textbook: None
Favourite audio learning resource: Pimsleur
Favourite video learning resource: FluentU used to be it, until they took away what I
was working on and made it paid content. If Readlang will support video for uploads (i
see he has some he posted) then I'll try that next.
Favourite web-based learning resource: Lingvist.io, although I have much love for
Duolingo for being committed to being free which Lingvist doesn't intend.
Anything else about your learning journey: Took it for a year in HS and a semester in
college more than 10 years ago, so I didn't get far. Have gotten farther in the last 3
months with self-study internet and library materials. I intend to focus exclusive and
intensely on French up to the B2 level, then level off, let it entertain/inform me while
revisiting my Spanish studies, hopefully by this time next year.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tiy
United Kingdom
Joined 3485 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 21 of 114
02 January 2015 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Username: Tiy
Level in French: B1-B2
Link to log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39843
Favourite book: "L'Aventure des langues en Occident" by Henriette Walker
Favourite comic/BD: Don't have one yet!
Favourite film: Hors du Prix, Amelie
Favourite TV series: Plus Belle La Vie, J'irai dormir chez vous
Favourite band/singer/musician: Les Plastiscines
Favourite audiobook/podcast: Learn French by Podcast
Favourite textbook: Edito B2
Favourite audio learning resource: RFI Journaux en Francais Facile
Favourite video learning resource: N/A
Favourite web-based learning resource: www.quizlet.com, www.about.com/french
Anything else about your learning journey: I've been learning French for just over 6
years but in a school/classroom setting. I'm hoping that this year I can get to at
least a high B2 level in speaking, writing and listening and perhaps C1 at reading. I
would however also like to refresh my knowledge of the basics!

Edited by Tiy on 02 January 2015 at 3:50am

redflag
Australia
Joined 3647 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 22 of 114
02 January 2015 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
Bonjour tout le monde! Typing this on my phone in my hotel room in Noumea ( for those that don't know,
capital of French speaking New Caledonia) where I've been for 24 hours and managed to complete some of
the basic tourist tasks we're supposed to be able to do: buying bus tickets, taking a taxi, ordering in
restos/bars, asking for directions and actually understanding the answer enough not to get too lost. So yay.
I''m actually ready already to up and move here forever. It's gorgeous.

There is some very strange comedy variety show on France 2 (Les Rois des Betesier) at the moment .....
Anyway I am definitely on this team but it's not letting me cut and paste the intro questions on my phone so I'll
have to wait until next week to do that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4139 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 23 of 114
02 January 2015 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Salut, tout le monde. Je suis Lakeseayesno (je suis une femme, mon vrai nom est Siskia), je habite au Mexique, et j'ai commencé a apprendre français à decembre 2014. C'est ma formulaire.

Username: Lakeseayesno
Level in French: A1
Link to log: La troisième crusade
Favourite film: Amelie
Favourite textbook: Not favourite, but I have a pretty good Larousse grammar for offline study
Favourite web-based learning resource: Duolingo, Lingvist, FluentU, 7 jours sur la planète (app), Italki (among others)
Anything else about your learning journey: I'm one of those weird specimens that didn't get French during high-school. Actually, one of the reasons I skipped so many questions is precisely because I know very little about French culture, and I hope, through the study of its language, to get better acquaintanced with it.

Edited by Lakeseayesno on 02 January 2015 at 6:55pm

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3438 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 24 of 114
02 January 2015 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
1.Username:plumbem!
2.Level in French: B2
3.Link to log:http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=39781
4.Favourite book: Candide! It is my hope to get into some philosophy by the end of the year.
5.Favourite comic/BD: I really like Tintin! Asterix is great too but some of it is definitely
above my head. The Incal series by Jodorowski + Moebius is beautiful and I would highly
recommend it if you are even a little into Sci-fi.
6.Favourite film:I like the films of Luis Bunuel, particularly The Dicreet Charm of the
Bourgeousie
7.Favourite TV series: Sadly, probably a French dub of an American/Brtish series...I am
enjoying Avatar and Planet Earth at the moment. I also found the Tintin series to be awesome.
8.Favourite band/singer/musician: Pheonix! I need to find a French musician I like with
lyrics in French 9that are easy to understand! Stromae is pretty interesting.
9.Favourite audiobook/podcast:
Podcast-> Terre a Terre http://www.franceculture.fr/emission-terre-a-terre-0
Audiobooks-> http://www.litteratureaudio.com
10.Favourite textbook: A Student Grammar of French (Oxford) My favorite reference grammar.
11.Favourite audio learning resource: Michel Thomas Advanced. So good!
12.Favourite video learning resource: None as of present.
13.Favourite web-based learning resource: GLOSS exercises
14.Anything else about your learning journey: I am also trying to give half of my study time
to Dutch. Luckily I am WWOOFing in France until the end of March which I will either use as a
reason to focus more on my French or to let it go a little bit. Come July I will put most of
my energy into French to prepare for a departure to Senegal in November.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version