Australia
Joined 3647 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 65 of 114
28 January 2015 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Bonjour Team Francais

If anyone is interested in trying their hand at a free MOOC course in French, there
are a few starting soon on edX. All of these except the Electrotechnique one are
taught by the Université catholique de Louvain.   The videos (in my experience) all
have subtitles and/or transcripts available French to go with them.

https://www.edx.org/school/louvainx

International Human Rights Law -   (actually it looks like this one is taught in
English but maybe there are French elements?) - starts Feb 3

Les principes de la finance – starts Feb 3

Decouvrir la science politique – starts Feb 6   I did some of this same course this
time last year and enjoyed it, but went on holidays in the middle of it and never
finished. My French is better now than it was then so I’m going to have another crack.

Ressources naturelles et developpement durable – starts Feb 9

Comprendre la respiration – starts March 23

There is also Electrotechquie 2 starting Feb 19 for the technically minded
https://www.edx.org/course/electrotechnique-ii-epflx-ee-102b x-0#.VMlhVv7LdrU

UPDATE: I found some others on Coursera. École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne has
some starting in Jan/Feb is science areas https://www.coursera.org/epfl Here's the
rest of the Coursera courses taught in French - go to https://www.coursera.org/courses
and just choose French from languages down the left hand side

Edited by redflag on 28 January 2015 at 11:37pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7010 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 66 of 114
29 January 2015 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
If you like jokes, I found this site which has audio. I've only listened to one joke, but it wsa funny....

http://rigolons.centerblog.net/rub-blagues-parlees-mp3-.html
1 person has voted this message useful

Tiy
United Kingdom
Joined 3485 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 67 of 114
29 January 2015 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
Bonjour Team Francais

If anyone is interested in trying their hand at a free MOOC course in French, there
are a few starting soon on edX. All of these except the Electrotechnique one are
taught by the Université catholique de Louvain.   The videos (in my experience) all
have subtitles and/or transcripts available French to go with them.

https://www.edx.org/school/louvainx

International Human Rights Law -   (actually it looks like this one is taught in
English but maybe there are French elements?) - starts Feb 3

Les principes de la finance – starts Feb 3

Decouvrir la science politique – starts Feb 6   I did some of this same course this
time last year and enjoyed it, but went on holidays in the middle of it and never
finished. My French is better now than it was then so I’m going to have another crack.

Ressources naturelles et developpement durable – starts Feb 9

Comprendre la respiration – starts March 23

There is also Electrotechquie 2 starting Feb 19 for the technically minded
https://www.edx.org/course/electrotechnique-ii-epflx-ee-102b x-0#.VMlhVv7LdrU

UPDATE: I found some others on Coursera. École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne has
some starting in Jan/Feb is science areas https://www.coursera.org/epfl Here's the
rest of the Coursera courses taught in French - go to https://www.coursera.org/courses
and just choose French from languages down the left hand side

Thanks for this! I don't know how I am going to be able to spare the extra 4-5 hours per week a course would require, but I can see how this might be infinitely helpful for learning French.

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3443 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: French

Message 68 of 114
29 January 2015 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
Bonjour Team Francais

are a few starting soon on edX.

I recently got the "J-10 pour le lancement du MOOC « Découvrir la science politique
»
" email, so I guess I signed up awhile ago. My French isn't really ready, but MOOCs
are crutched for non-natives in my experience, and you can do what you can out of it
and drop the rest - it is free after all. Good to know it's one they keep doing repeatedly
because I could probably participate more fully if I had another go at it in 6 months.

My experience with MOOCs in English suggests that this material might be very good
for language learners. The setup for reading the transcripts is great, it moves and
highlights to where the speaker is. The transcripts are almost always word-for-word,
including typing out "um" and "(inaudible)" at times. I think they get the TA's to do it,
so technical terminology is typically correct. You can also download them and plug
them into whatever system you have, like Readlang or LWT for vocab assessment. In
English I usually speed them up, sometimes to 2x because the instructors tend to
speak so slowly and deliberately. Most are modifying their productions so they are in
bite sized chunks that people can actually listen to and digest, and there are short
comprehension quizzes frequently, like a modernized version of GLOSS.

Another one that looks interesting to me is "Les problèmes métaphysiques à l’épreuve
de la politique, 1943-1968", partly because the lectures will only be 2x15 minutes per
week. Reading lists will be provided in French and English. It starts in another month.

Edited by s.mann on 29 January 2015 at 4:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3647 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 69 of 114
29 January 2015 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Good points s.mann.    When I did it last year I was able to get the gist of most of it and back then I didn't even
know the future or imparfait tenses and a whole bunch of other stuff. I found the lecturers spoke clearly and yes it's
aimed at a very general level. Most of the assessments were multiple choice and I got them all right IIRC, the only
assessment task I didn't do was one where you had to leave a comment on the forum. Wasn't feeling up to doing
that in French.   Of course it helps that I have studied a lot of pol sci and related fields in my time so I was familiar
with the content of it anyway, in a topic I know nothing about in English I expect it would have been more difficult
to follow.

Tiy, it doesn't need to take that long if you're just watching the videos and doing the assessments. Teachers put
that estimated time in the hope you'll do a lot of extra reading I think :-)   I knocked it over in an hour usually.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4714 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 70 of 114
29 January 2015 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the heads up on the moocs, guys. I've planned on doing a course in French one of these days, but you have inspired me to actually sign up for a couple. I've signed up for Découvrir la science politique on EDX and Les problèmes métaphysiques à l’épreuve de la politique- 1943-1968 on Coursera. I don't know if I'll do anything on either one, but at least I have the option to check it out!

Fiyero
United States
Joined 3407 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Russian, French

Message 71 of 114
30 January 2015 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Do the teachers know you're auditing the classes online? Wonder if it's worthwhile to try these. While I have a
B.A. in Political Science, I imagine I'm going to struggle a lot with the more complex French since my level isn't
very high.

redflag
Australia
Joined 3647 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 

Message 72 of 114
30 January 2015 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Yes, it's all designed specifically for online and I imagine most people are doing it
without a formal qualification at the end, although there is an option to pay and do
extra work to get an official recognition.   Like I said, my level was very low when I
first did it and I got a lot out of it still, the transcriptions/subtitles of the videos
really help with that obviously.

This discussion contains 114 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version