149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 17 of 99
09 October 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
AML wrote:
Let's not forget Ardaschir's thread on the persian language:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=69&PN=1

the address didn't return the post. Can you please write the path instead i.e. directory/title

Edited by Alijsh on 09 October 2006 at 1:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6410 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 18 of 99
09 October 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
alexptrans wrote:
I think it's too late now to tell people to use one over the other.

Better late than never :D

The majority of people calling it Farsi, don't know the story so I'm sure they won't use it any longer. Besides, in other languages they are not using "Farsi" so vastly yet and fortunately, many people in this forum are non-English native speakers.

Dear people who wrote and will write on this post,

I created this post to talk about "Persian or Farsi" and not for "Persia or Iran". So please don't write offtopic. Thanks beforehand.

alexptrans
Pentaglot
Israel
Joined 6553 days ago

208 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew, Russian*, French, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Icelandic

Message 19 of 99
09 October 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:

the address didn't return the post. Can you please write the path instead i.e. directory/title

Here's the link again: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=69&PN=1

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6644 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 20 of 99
09 October 2006 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
It's unfortunate, but it seems like most English speakers who actually know what language is spoken in Iran insist on calling it "Farsi" and believe that "Persian" is an archaic term.

If I say, "I'd like to study Persian someday." the response I usually get (at least the one that isn't "huh?") is a condescending "Don't you mean Farsi?". It's annoying.

Edited by Frisco on 09 October 2006 at 4:35pm

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6472 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 21 of 99
09 October 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
alexptrans wrote:

The fact of the matter is, the term "Farsi" has become fairly common in English, perhaps even more so than "Persian". Just try to google "speak Farsi" vs. "speak Persian" or something similar to see what I mean.

On the other hand, there are approximately 460k hits for "Persian language" compared to 180k for "Farsi language". :^)

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 22 of 99
09 October 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
Please don't use the word Farsi in English. Saying for example, I speak Farsi, is just like saying, I speak Deutsch, instead of I speak German. Farsi, Deutsch, français, italiano etc. are local names for the languages and not English names.

Alijsh, judging by a couple of your posts I've seen, you seem to be a person of strong views. However, strong views can be misplaced in telling native speakers of another language how they should speak their own language.

Here is an entry from one of the Oxford English dictionaries:

=============
Farsi /'f:si:/
noun [MASS NOUN] the modern Persian language, the official language of Iran, with over 20 million speakers.
=============

And here is another one:

==========
Persian
noun
2 [MASS NOUN] the language of modern Iran, an Indo-European language written in Arabic script. Also called Farsi.
*an earlier form of Persian spoken in ancient or medieval Persia.
===========

That same dictionary does not have entries for Deutsch, Français or Italiano. Both "Farsi" and "Persian" are part of the English language.

I´ve run into this odd phenomenon on other occasions. A Spanish speaker from Latin America took umbrage at someone using the term "american" speaking of US residents. Indeed, it is not appropriate in Spanish, especially in Latin America, but is normal for English, French, Russian, and I am sure many other languages. It even seems to be used like this in Spain.

Then there are Ukranians who get upset that Russians say "na Ukraine" instead of "v Ukraine" when talking, for example, about someone living in Ukraine. Apparently, Russian speakers have to change the preposition they are used to because in Ukranian that´s the one they would use.

I suggest we leave it to the native English speakers to decide what to call your language in English, especially since, unlike the two examples I gave, there don't even seem to be any political overtones in choosing "Farsi" versus "Persian".

P.S. I myself learned the word "Farsi" from my wife; before I used to say "Persian". We were at the main airport in Houston, and an elderly Iranian woman, who had just arrived in the US and did not speak a word of English, except "baby", managed to communicate with that word that whoever was to meet her at the airport had not shown up. I could not even call for her, because the phone number she showed me was in Persian numerals, so I couldn't read it. Then my wife, don't know how, identified a likely "candidate" in the crowd and asked him if he spoke, gasp, Farsi, which he did, so we left the lady in his care. I liked the word and have been saying "Farsi" ever since.

Edited by frenkeld on 09 October 2006 at 7:01pm

daristani
United States
Joined 6932 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 23 of 99
09 October 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I've always found the use of "Farsi" (while speaking in English) to be fairly pretentious, and indicative of a sort of pseudo-sophistication, intended to convey to the listener that the speaker has some special inside knowledge (i.e., knows what the language is named by Iranians. You can almost see some people who use this hoping that their listeners will ask "What's that?") This has always struck me as silly: if you can speak the language in question, then you ought to be able to refer to it in English without feeling you're somehow lowering yourself. And if you don't speak it, just knowing what it's called by native speakers hardly marks you as a big-time intellectual. The example above of the use of "Ivrit" for Hebrew seems to me to be a similar phenomenon. I also recall some people in Australia referring to Indonesian as "Bahasa", as if that were somehow more authentic to those in the know that just saying "Indonesian".

I do see a potential use in English for "Farsi", though, in distinguishing it from other varieties of the language, i.e., Dari and Tajik. But except when used in this sense to denote a specific variety of Persian, I avoid it, and use "Persian".

Edited by daristani on 09 October 2006 at 7:21pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 24 of 99
09 October 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
I've always found the use of "Farsi" (while speaking in English) to be fairly pretentious, and indicative of a sort of pseudo-sophistication, intended to convey to the listener that the speaker has some special inside knowledge ...

I dunno. I used to think people saying "Mandarin" instead of "Chinese" were pompous, but got used to it.

And in any case, why should folks in a language forum not be allowed to be a little pompous about their languages.

Edited by frenkeld on 09 October 2006 at 7:29pm

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version