Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 73 of 113
29 August 2008 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
guilon wrote:
SlavicResistanc wrote:
Well, I just turned 18, and as you can see, I speak a lot of languages.

First of all, don't be offended but we don't have any evidence of your command in all those languages. I have
serious doubts about your proficiency in every single tongue you listed on your profile, especially because you
"don't know how you learnt them". This forum is full of exceptional polyglots and for that reason a phony is easily
spotted here. Unless you are affected by Asperger syndrome, there is no way you can be fluent in so many
languages at your age.

I think your tone is absolutely uncalled-for, guilon.

You certainly have the right to have doubts about someone's language abilities. Calling someone a phony (as you essentially did) without evidence is rather another matter. I find it rather uncivil.

SlavicResistanc clearly writes English well - not perfectly, and I'd call his fluency advanced rather than native - but certainly better than a number of native English speakers nonetheless.

Similarly, I doubt his Icelandic is fluent, as he started studying Icelandic a week ago. Likewise, he says his Spanish isn't fluent in that thread.

Nonetheless, he's clearly enthusiastic about languages, has put some serious effort into them, and seems honest about assessing himself. I can see the point of gently suggesting that he amend his profile to match his assessment; his profile does contain errors.

His level of achievement is not at all impossible for 18. I'd say that I had at least a similar level with various computer-related things at that age, despite only seriously starting at 13/14. He may well have gotten a younger start than I did. I've never been formally diagnosed with Asperger's.

Given that he's indicated a willingness to be tested on any language he claims as fluent, why don't you do so rather than fling accusations blindly?

1 person has voted this message useful

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6052 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 74 of 113
29 August 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
guilon wrote:
Unless you are affected by Asperger syndrome, there is no way you can be fluent in so many
languages at your age.

That's such nonsense. Discipline, good studying habits and ability will take you very far, believe you me. If I weren't so lazy I could surely have achieved much more. The thing is that it's probably inevitable for achievements of others to be met with something other than disbelief and envy. I wonder why.

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6052 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds

Message 75 of 113
29 August 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Oh, by the way:

His English and German are, while not perfect, both very good. His Dutch is also quite good. I don't know what the others have to say about this. Let's just admit that for one, this is one "Super Polyglot" (as the profile states) that actually dared posting something, and not only in English, but - and this immediately - in his respective target languages.

So I fully agree with Volte.

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5760 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 76 of 113
30 August 2008 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
I also agree, we had proofs enough that his English, German and Dutch are excellent. On the other hand there is actually something a little cocky about his ways, so I can see where the aggressive replies are coming from, but as long as this slightly immature streak clearly gives him away as a youngster this is further proof of his veracity. So I think I'll choose to be impressed and admirative rather than not. I wish I had started that early! The guy won't surely "achieve all the languages in the world" but he might really teach us something!

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6052 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds

Message 77 of 113
30 August 2008 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
It's not so much that. I never said something about his behaviour or anything like that. The thing just seems to be that whenever someone who achieved something joins the forum, some guy will start picking on him. Such behaviour says a lot about people.

apatch3
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5995 days ago

80 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Pashto, English*
Studies: Japanese, FrenchA2

Message 78 of 113
30 August 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Im Fluent in around 3 languages English , Pashto and Urdu ... I was born and raised in England till i was 13 years old (im 17 atm) after which my parents shifted back to northern Pakistan. Polyglots are far more common in countries that were once ruled by colonial powers, since they tend to leave behind a whole infrastructure, that cannot be gotten rid of no matter how hard the natives try. over here the higher class (middle and up) tends to use English as their medium of communication, i suppose its simply to show a degree of sophistication ...and also in order to not be understood by the common man.

ooh i forgot to add im learning japanese atm ! lol

Edited by apatch3 on 30 August 2008 at 1:32pm

guilon
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 6002 days ago

226 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, PortugueseC2, FrenchC2, Italian, English

Message 79 of 113
30 August 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

I think your tone is absolutely uncalled-for, guilon.

I didn't mean to be mean, I come from a cultural background where things said straightforwardly are not seen as
agressive but as due even if harsh, and I reckon that saying things in a roundabout way is unbearably
hypocritical.

I am sorry SlavicResistanc, I surely shouldn't have called you a phony. On the other hand my English is far from
perfect and I don't always grasp the whole sense or the implications of English words. I apologize, seriously. I
would even understand if people in this forum ask for me to be banished or muzzled, perhaps my tempers don't
suit the general tone of the site.

Volte wrote:

His level of achievement is not at all impossible for 18. I'd say that I had at least a similar level with various
computer-related things at that age, despite only seriously starting at 13/14. He may well have gotten a
younger start than I did. I've never been formally diagnosed with Asperger's.

Twelve languages at 18, I still think it is not that easily feasible, we know how hard learning a language is even
for geniuses, of course you have every right to find his claims believable.

Gilgamesh wrote:

Discipline, good studying habits and ability will take you very far, believe you me...
The thing is that it's probably inevitable for achievements of others to be met with something other than
disbelief and envy.

I know what hard work combined with ability debouchs into, but my disbelief doesn't make his claims any truer,
not that I don't think he has worked hardly, I just believe he hasn't had the time to learn twelve languages at a
satisfactory level.

Gilgamesh wrote:

The thing just seems to be that whenever someone who achieved something joins the forum, some guy will start
picking on him.

Some guy, meaning me in the current thread, found Luca's achievements astonishing, and as he said:

guilon wrote:

This forum is full of exceptional polyglots

that guy would never pick on Luca, or in other members even if the command of the languages they claim to
speak is only passable. I myself as Luca am somehow deceived by the results I see in so many impressively
profiled members.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5791 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 80 of 113
20 October 2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
My roommate is eighteen and has a pretty good command of four languages. She is fully bilingual in English and
French, is able to understand, read, and write Arabic (She says she has trouble speaking it, but I think she is just
being modest.), and she gets around pretty well in Spanish (She said she could hardly form a sentence in
Spanish, and I can tell you that couldn't be further from the truth which leads me to believe her Arabic is better
than she lets on.).

I also know a girl here at my university who speaks four languages. She speaks English and Russian natively,
and has been taking German and Spanish for years at school. I'd say her German is pretty advanced (as in she
knows the grammar well and can hold a conversation with little problem) because she chose that to be her
"third" language and concentrates on it more than Spanish, but I've spoken to her in Spanish and her Spanish is
probably at an intermediate level.

And finally, my neighbor here is eighteen as well and growing up in Hong Kong he became fully trilingual in
Cantonese, Mandarin, and English, and studied Spanish in school and definitely has basic fluency at the very
least. He's also able to to get around in French and German, but he's not as good in those because he's only
been studying them independently for a short time.

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version