Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6040 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 41 of 113
24 October 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Well... I knew three languages fluently by the age of 8: Croatian, English and German.
I'm 17 now, and I'm studying French actively. I understand alot and I also understan Dutch, which I plan to start soon.
:D
1 person has voted this message useful

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5950 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 42 of 113
20 January 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
The youngest polyglot of the world,I believe,is Wendy Vo.She is 8 years old and speaks 11 languages.

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6617 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 43 of 113
08 March 2008 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm 18 and I speak 3 languages fluently (Turkish, German, and English). I had made pretty fair progress in French, but somehow I forgot almost 70% of the vocabulary I know. And right now I'm working on Spanish.
But I think I failed the 4 language mark for polyglotery...wait...if we count Azeri, Turkoman Turkish (the Turkish spoken by the Turkomans in northern Iraq), and Gagauzian (Turkic people in Moldova) which I can understand perfectly, and with a little practice speak myself (it just sounds like a different accent or dialect of Turkish) I'd be up to 6 languages...how I love language families :D

Regards,
Ilhan

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5880 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 44 of 113
29 March 2008 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
At 18 I spoke Slovak, Czech and English at native level, Russian at almost native level, French at a high intermediate level, understood Ukrainian and knew some basic Dutch...

kizza
Triglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5872 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Hindi, English*, German, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 45 of 113
06 April 2008 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm 16 now and speak only English fluently, however my mother tongue is Gujarati (from India) - which I can understand pretty well, read and write only a little, and not speak very much. I've been learning French and German for 6 years and I'd say I'm about 'conversational' level for those 2. I'm also trying to learn some Hindi, I can read/write it better than Gujarati and speak it better, but not understand as well. I've been learning Russian at school for half a year too. Finally I'm trying to teach myself Mandarin right now (its been 4 months) and I can say most basic things.

I really envy those of you that speak loads of languages fluently and I hope I can get that good quickly! If anyone wants a chat, my skype is: kiren.pandya

Thanks!

Kiren

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6040 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 46 of 113
07 April 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
well, as a croatian speaker i can get my count up really high.
croatian, bosnian, serbian and montenegrin :)

kizza, considering you already know quite alot of gujarati, i'd recommend re-learning that languages so you can speak normally. it'll be really quick, since you know so much already.

rather get to know the ones you already know really well, than learning consantly new ones.

Erubey
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6026 days ago

82 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 47 of 113
08 April 2008 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
I don't know anyone who is at least trilingual and under 18. I mean, there are people who are studying, but I don't consider that a part of someone's "languages" at all. I myself sometimes hesitate to say Japanese is in my repotiore even though I am at JLPT2 or above. And I would never say I know 4 languages because I study french and I'm OK at it.

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6617 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 48 of 113
09 April 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Erubey wrote:
I don't know anyone who is at least trilingual and under 18. I mean, there are people who are studying, but I don't consider that a part of someone's "languages" at all. I myself sometimes hesitate to say Japanese is in my repotiore even though I am at JLPT2 or above. And I would never say I know 4 languages because I study french and I'm OK at it.

Now you do, nice to meet you :)

Regards,
Ilhan

PS: Just in case I might be wrong, trilingual is 3 languages right

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version