407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 49 of 113
09 April 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
!LH@N wrote:

PS: Just in case I might be wrong, trilingual is 3 languages right

yes it is.
and oh, add another under-18-years-old-trilingual to the count.
1 person has voted this message useful

Henryk
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6145 days ago

34 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: German, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish

Message 50 of 113
18 April 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
When I did my civilian service in a French nursery school, there was this 5-year-old girl that just moved here from France. Her father was Greek and her mother Dutch, so she spoke three languages perfectly and without accent. It took her about half an year to reach the level of German the other kids had which I think is quite impressive. Now she attends a bilingual school (German/French) and will soon come into contact with English.

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6038 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 51 of 113
18 April 2008 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
In such cases there are always numerous examples. One former good friend of mine was at a young age fluent in Czech, German, Dutch and English.

I only was fluent in three of those at the time. Try to guess which ones...

Edited by Gilgamesh on 18 April 2008 at 4:02pm

Henryk
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6145 days ago

34 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: German, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish

Message 52 of 113
18 April 2008 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Gilgamesh wrote:
In such cases there are always numerous examples. One former good friend of mine was at a young age fluent in Czech, German, Dutch and English.

I only was fluent in three of those at that age. Try to guess which ones...

German, Greek and English I guess. How old are you now if I may ask?

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6038 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 53 of 113
18 April 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Henryk wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

I only was fluent in three of those at that age. Try to guess which ones...

German, Greek and English I guess. How old are you now if I may ask?

I was kidding. By that time I was fluent in German (because of my heritage), Dutch (because of where I lived at the time) and English (many random causes). I unfortunately forgot how to speak Greek after I left Greece (where I was born) at the age of six.
I picked up some Greek again after I lived there for a couple of months in 2007.

And I am 23 years old.

emil775
Triglot
United States
Joined 5826 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: French, English, Romanian*
Studies: Japanese

Message 54 of 113
22 May 2008 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I'm 16 and I can fluently speak and write Romanian, French, and English. Romanian from Family and being born there, French from learning in Canada then moving to USA but continuing in school and a lot with my cousins who live in France (aka no Canadian accent...) and English.

I'm also learning Japanese and am great at kanas and doing well on Kanji. Hoping for Mandarin next, then Korean.

Those 6 will be perfect for me!

Globox
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5824 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC1
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 55 of 113
24 May 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
I feel sort of stupid around here :P

I am a native Dutch and have lived here all my life, not going on foreign holidays either. This makes me fluent in Dutch, I've reached advanced fluency in English and I'm an intermediate speaker of German (1/8 heritage) and French, I guess. And I'm currently learning Spanish.

I would really like to learn lots of languages... It's just that my school sucks up so much time it's nearly impossible to study something extra. I'm quitting physics, chemistry and economics next year though so I'll have more time to focus on languages and culture.

By the way there's this British kid, Arpan Sharma, who speaks 11 languages even though he's only 10 years old. He was raised trilingual (Hindi, English, Swahili) and learned Spanish, Italian, German, French, Polish, Thai, Mandarin Chinese and he's currently studying Lugandan (which is spoken in Uganda).

Talking about polyglots!

FrenchSilkPie
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

125 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 56 of 113
06 June 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
If you feel stupid, I feel like a negative ten!

Both my parents are bilingual, but didn't teach any of their language to our family. I've basically lived in English-speaking environments except for a little Spanish/French classes in school.

On my own I am studying French and German. I would say speaking skills zero for both, but my French listening is pretty good. Hopefully within a few years I will be advanced in both!

Oh but quick question--aren't you only bilingual/trilingual if you grew up with those languages (under the age of 5-7?)

Edited by FrenchSilkPie on 06 June 2008 at 8:51am

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version