PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5169 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 105 of 113
24 May 2010 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
I have a friend who, mainly through being raised in different countries and languages, knows to fluency:
- Latvian (born there)
- Russian (parents use this)
- Swedish (lived there from a young age)

She has also learnt French and Spanish at school, cementing Spanish to fluency with a year spent abroad. I speak to her in English, which she speaks to fluency with an American accent that sounds like it's been mixed all across Europe. She's now 19 but spoke them all very very well before 18.
3 persons have voted this message useful

pupul07
Tetraglot
India
Joined 5296 days ago

6 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Japanese, Hindi

Message 106 of 113
26 May 2010 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Turned nineteen this May if that counts.

Bengali - My native language. Not very good at reading having studied it for only four years in junior school.

English - My second language. Pretty comfortable with both spoken and written forms though I can't, for the life of me, recognise accents.

Hindi - Can understand virtually anything thrown at me though my spoken Hindi needs work. Reading is better than Bengali but I didn't bother too much with reading to begin with.

Japanese - Can understand around 90% of most anime and 50-60% of news broadcasts. Manage to get by in chatrooms without sounding too foreigner or gaijin-like though I don't know how good my spoken Japanese is (considering that I've never spoken it).

Edited by pupul07 on 26 May 2010 at 10:27am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5777 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 107 of 113
30 May 2010 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I have a friend here who is Finnish but was raised in Sweden and attended an English-speaking international school
in Stockholm. She also learned Spanish as a foreign language at her school. Her Finnish, Swedish, and English are
native or native-like, and her Spanish is actually quite good.
2 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4918 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 108 of 113
23 November 2010 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm 16 right now... I think I'll speak French at a good level by the time I turn 18. So that will make 3 languages. Not enough to call myself a polyglot, but it will be a good start :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4942 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 110 of 113
23 November 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
I´m 14, and I hope to learn English untill the next year.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5024 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 111 of 113
06 December 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I have a student who speaks Fluent Mandarin, Shanghainese, English, and Japanese, and now studies Indonesian, Russian and French.(he started to learn Russian and French because he knows I speak them). He sits for hours each day making word lists out of his 10 in 1 electronic dictionary, truly loves languages and says after Russian and French he wants to learn Esperanto and Arabic. He is a true Genius and can tell you the capital of any country you ask him in 5 different languages, has memorized almost every important date in Chinese and European history as well.

He is 10 years old.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4942 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 112 of 113
06 December 2010 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
I an 14 and I speak Portuguese and a lot of English in advanced level, but it quite is´n
fluent - Though I only began to study this year and have Asperger.

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version