United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6160 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 33 of 113
23 June 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Are there any kids like me in high school who are self-learning a language? I jus wanna know if they thought it was real difficult because thats what I plan on doing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 34 of 113
23 June 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
tpiz wrote:
Are there any kids like me in high school who are self-learning a language? I jus wanna know if they thought it was real difficult because thats what I plan on doing.

I started self-study of languages in high school. I didn't get very far, because I used really ineffective techniques. I'm currently doing a bachelor's degree (not in a language-related subject), and since finding this forum and applying some of the knowledge available here, things are going decently. It takes time, and effort, and there are difficult spots, but it's certainly possible to learn a lot on your own.

What works for me is comprehensible input (I like Assimil as a source of it), plus listening to radio in the languages I'm trying to learn to get used to the sound of the language at a realistic pace, etc. The other common approach here is more drill-based.

Good luck with your language studies.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 113
23 June 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I sometimes work at a library and now and then I see quite young people (~15) borrow courses in Greek, Italian, German...

Lemus
Diglot
United States
Joined 6177 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 36 of 113
23 June 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
tpiz wrote:

You're not alone. I study two (Japanese and Turkish) and expand on the Spanish I know from school. Is it difficult? Yes, but you don't have to pick such hard languages.

aberfitch1892
United States
Joined 6079 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: German
Studies: French
Studies: Haitian Creole

Message 37 of 113
13 September 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
I'm 18...I started German and french when I was like 12 and i'm learning portuguese, greek, italian, and hebrew next...so i'm well on my way! and your not the youngest one!

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6690 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 113
13 September 2007 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I started learning French on my own at 12 or 13 or thereabouts, some Japanese a couple of years later, and then Spanish from around 15 or 16 and kept it up through the years, right up to advanced level and beyond.

It is a great time to take up a new language, or several for that matter. At that age you soak up new knowledge as a sponge and learning is so easy, especially pronunciation. Not to say that you don't need to put in any work, you do, but generally the result per effort ratio is extremely effective.

Even if you get bored with it and move on to other things after a while, you will have set a solid foundation that will always be there at the ready and waiting for you, like a pot of gold, should you decide to come back at some later point in life.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 39 of 113
13 September 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
I feel so retarted now, I started learning Finnish on my own when I was 12, but I gave up, mostly because my mother convinced me and because the materials I had were not too good. I started studying it in earnest only when I turned 15, before that all my language study (German and Latin) was limited to classroom :(

jankagan
Tetraglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6078 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Afrikaans, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Spanish

Message 40 of 113
25 September 2007 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
tpiz wrote:

I'm in high school and I'm teaching myself Hebrew, and study Chinese with a tutor-as well as French and Spanish at school.

Depends on time constraints and motivation. You need to be motivated, and be willing to take out some of your free time to study. But if you have a busy schedule, try to do an easier language first-such as Spanish or Italian. I'm rather busy but I still manage.

Edited by jankagan on 25 September 2007 at 9:03pm

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version